Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Book Reviewer List

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Book Reviewer List Empty
PostSubject: Book Reviewer List   Book Reviewer List EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 3:33 am

I am looking for a list of book reviewers for the genres of historical and paranormal fiction novels. Does anyone know where I can find them? I have Googled but there are so many and with my time restraints it is impossible to check them all out.

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Book Reviewer List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviewer List   Book Reviewer List EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 2:53 pm

According to Lane, there are very few worth their salt. Perhaps he can provide you some recommendations. He seems to believe that the typical reviewers available to small presses (Internet mostly) have no positive impact on the book and are useless "crap" (his word in quotes.)

My publisher, L & L Dreamspell, specializes in mystery, vampires, romance and paranormal novels and anthologies. Some of the writers are also reviewers of that genre. Many have blogs on which they also provide reviews. I'll go looking therein for some to recommend. However, they do not fit Lane's definitions of reviewers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
W. Lane Rogers
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Book Reviewer List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviewer List   Book Reviewer List EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 3:35 pm

x

Last edited by W. Lane Rogers on Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/wlanerogers
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Book Reviewer List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviewer List   Book Reviewer List EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 3:55 pm

I do not believe I have been unfairly treated; to the contrary, I am quite satisfied with my experience to date, much better than I ever expected. I have had no unfair treatment whatsoever. I had an experience with PA that was primarily positive, but later included some disappointments for which I take total responsibility. I moved on to other publishing venues when PA no longer met my needs.

It's quite interesting how people with exceptionally experienced writing backgrounds can draw conclusions from forum postings that are far from the writer's intent.

I was sincere in my recommendation, Lane, that your experience with book review sources might benefit Sue Sunshine. In fact, they might benefit many of us who are published by smaller presses whose publishers have readily stated that getting reviews from the same reviewers as the larger houses is difficult for an unknown, debut author.

Thank you for your compliment. No one has ever considered me clever; instead, I am regarded as boring and straightforward, shy and introverted, usually seeking answers to fill knowledge gaps and readily admitting the knowledge shortfalls that plague me daily. I am grateful for those with certainty who fill those gaps.
Back to top Go down
W. Lane Rogers
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Book Reviewer List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviewer List   Book Reviewer List EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 4:05 pm

x

Last edited by W. Lane Rogers on Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/wlanerogers
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Book Reviewer List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviewer List   Book Reviewer List EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 4:15 pm

Sorry Sue; my intentions were good and misread. I'll keep working on some of those reviewers I mentioned. Perhaps Lane will provide you with some ideas in another place. Not only am I "clever," by his words but also "disingenuous." While I consider the first a compliment, the latter was unkind and not true.

It was Lane who told me in another post if I couldn't take his insults, to leave (in different words because his vocabulary is more extensive than mine). Therefore, I will take his advice and leave from this thread.

Again, sorry Sue that your innocent request for information was taken so far afield. You provide a lot of value to this forum, and I wanted to be a catalyst for your question by bringing forward your unanswered post.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Book Reviewer List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviewer List   Book Reviewer List EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 5:11 pm

You may want to look at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] if you are interested in an Internet review site. I have no personal experience with the site; it is recommended by people I respect;it specializes in the paranormal genre.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Book Reviewer List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviewer List   Book Reviewer List EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 6:08 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] An author colleague at L & L Dreamspell does book reviews for them. She has her own blog where she posts her reviews. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] s.blogspot. com/2009/ 07/book-week- challenge- reading-rasner. html This site will give you an example of her reviews for MBR. She reviews every genre and many L & L Dreamspell books.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Book Reviewer List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviewer List   Book Reviewer List EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 7:15 pm

Years ago, Sue, I would have suggested building relationships with newspaper and magazine book review editors, but now with print journalism fading and shutting down many of its independent review pages and sections, we may all need other sources.

There are some places still left. For example, check out the state where historical fiction is set and see if it has a historical society with a magazine. I've been a member of the Montana Historical Society for over 20 years, and they continue to publish an excellent journal. It includes thoughtful reviews of both fiction and nonfiction with a strong tie-in to the state or to the northwest in General.

Look at regional magazines. Some are strong and are fulfilling a niche that is being left open at present by the pull back of metro newspapers. Some, including the one I write for, do reviews. I would look first at the area where the author lives, for some of these focus on authors who live within the state or the region.

Many "small magazines" and literary journals continue to do reviews and even though they often have circulations which are minuscule, they have prestige and clout. Of course, if the word "Review" is part of the title, there's a chance they actually review something, though it's not always books. Many of these have an online version or related e-zine.

Writer's Digest continues to be a good resource, especially if you pay to use the online version rather than the physical Writer's Market which gets out of date fast.

Go the the National Circle of Book Critics site and poke around, among other reasons for the purpose of seeing where the reviewers who appear here do their paid-for work.

Look at the online site called, I think, newpages.com. Their focus is literary magazines. They will help you find some of the better ones since they review magazines. They also do credible book reviews--that is to say, real reviews rather than Amazon type stuff.

In another thread--maybe it was one you were involved in--I mentioned Dan Poynter's parapublishing site. He used to have, and may still have, lists of reviewers and the outlets they write for.

I may think of something else later, but this is a start...

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Book Reviewer List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviewer List   Book Reviewer List EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 7:31 pm

Thank you, DK and Malcolm. I very much appreciate your taking the time to get me started.

I know the Midwest Book Review is for after publication. I am looking for pre-pub. I keep forgetting about Dan's site even though I get his newsletter. I know Rachel at bittenbybooks and have responded to many of the authors she has showcased there.

Even though I am afraid of getting tromped on here by an unnamed author, I am going to make my next statement.

I prefer not to do too much of the online reviews and would like to go the more traditional route. (I am sure my use of the word traditional will bring someone out to criticize.)

Thank you again for all the information. You have no idea what your responses have meant to me.
Back to top Go down
ann

Book Reviewer List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviewer List   Book Reviewer List EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 7:49 pm

Sue,
The Historical Novel Society reviews books from large and small presses according to their website. I have no personal experience with them, but came across their website in some other work I was doing.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Book Reviewer List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviewer List   Book Reviewer List EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 9:03 pm

I believe Denise Robbins of MBR also does pre-pub reviews. Once you have your list, it will be a benefit to all. Malcolm is right, I believe, that the landscape is changing.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662

Book Reviewer List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviewer List   Book Reviewer List EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 12:46 am

Probably the most recognised review site on the web is Kirkus Reviews. You can read the submission guidelines here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504

Book Reviewer List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviewer List   Book Reviewer List EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 8:26 am

Kirkus has a lot of clout and even a modest review from them would be outstanding. Definitely pre-publication.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Book Reviewer List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviewer List   Book Reviewer List EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 11:26 am

Thank you, Ann, dk, Shelagh, and Malcolm! I have written it all down and plan to pursue each of those avenues. Perhaps had I done this for my own book, I would have sold more. Who knows?

I appreciate the time you have taken to help me with this.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Book Reviewer List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviewer List   Book Reviewer List EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 3:23 pm

epicauthors. com has a pretty good list of review links, if you look in resources. You have to scroll down a bit.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Book Reviewer List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviewer List   Book Reviewer List EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 3:26 pm

TheCelebrityCafe. com where J. M. Cornwell reviews have been cross-posted from Authorlink for six years.

Historical fiction and paranormal.

The sites I have provided are recommended by some seasoned authors. It was easier for me to ask on your behalf than for myself; however, I will use the info at this thread also!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Book Reviewer List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book Reviewer List   Book Reviewer List Empty

Back to top Go down

Book Reviewer List
Page 1 of 1