Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

He Always Wanted a Friend

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

He Always Wanted a Friend Empty
PostSubject: He Always Wanted a Friend   He Always Wanted a Friend EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 9:37 am

A Stodghill Says So blog:
He Always Wanted a Friend Stodg+at+Polk

We joined the National Guard at the same time, Ken and I. He decided I would be his buddy. We both were infantry combat veterans of the war that had ended a few years earlier, but there the similarity ended. I was there for the camaraderie found in a rifle company. He was there because he loved everything about the Army. He'd put on his uniform even to walk to the corner grocery for a loaf of bread.
At summer camp he had the bunk closest to the barrack door and mine was next to his. Someone forgot to assign men to KP for our first full day at Camp Atterbury. The CQ came in at 4 a.m., shook Ken awake and said he needed a KP. Thinking I was asleep, Ken said the man in the next bunk would do fine. I went ahead and spent the day in the kitchen without saying a word, but Ken got the cold shoulder from me from then on.
Soon we both were staff sergeants, but on different paths. He was on the way up. I got teed off about something and told the captain what he could do with the stripes. He didn't, but I was a private again.
Then we were federalized for the Korean War. They promoted me to corporal and gave me the job of sergeant at corporal's pay. Our First Sergeant was made a warrant officer and Ken was given his old job.
He had a private room at the end of the barrack and would parade around at night in pajamas and a red bathrobe. No one else wore pajamas. He liked to say RHIP, rank has it privileges. No one could stand to be near him. When he'd join a group of guys talking, the others would leave. Everyone had found out what I had learned that first night at summer camp.
He tried to make men like him. All he'd get were one-word responses. One night six or eight of us were drinking beer at a table in the PX when Ken walked in. He bought a Zippo lighter and came over to our table to show it off. I said, "Nice," just to get rid of him. He went back and bought another lighter and handed it to me. Then he flicked his own, but they had put in too much fluid and it was a ball of flame. He dropped it onto the floor that was oiled to keep it from warping. The floor caught fire and everyone was stamping their feet to put it out so we wouldn't lose our PX. The jukebox was playing so it looked like we were doing some sort of ritualistic dance.
Eventually I was discharged but Ken reenlisted, going for a 20 or 30 year career. I never had the misfortune to see him again but I heard years later that his son joined up and they were together. He finally had someone he could call a friend.
The last I heard of Ken, he and the son were convicted of rape and went to prison together. Guess he still had one friend.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: He Always Wanted a Friend   He Always Wanted a Friend EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 10:11 am

I can just see a you and a bunch of other men doing the 'mashed potato' or some other such gyration trying to stomp out the fire, Dick. Did you save the PX?

It sounds like Ken had no social skills, and I'm sure the victim of Ken and his son's anger could easily testify to that!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: He Always Wanted a Friend   He Always Wanted a Friend EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 10:19 am

Dick,
there are a lot of people like Ken. I met my share of them. They are the takers of the world. Sooner or later, it catches up with them.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

PostSubject: Re: He Always Wanted a Friend   He Always Wanted a Friend EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 12:46 pm

You're right, Abe. Marie may be right, too, because I got along great with everyone but him. Well, maybe there were a couple of others. And yes, Zada, we saved the PX. Not doing so would have been a catastrophic event in our lives.
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: He Always Wanted a Friend   He Always Wanted a Friend EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 12:55 pm

Funny how sometimes the nail gets hit squarely on the head. I think you've done that here Dick, in that it is certainly true that there are people who have nearly no social skills at all, and not the foggiest idea of how to interact with others. We see it everywhere, and most of those people such as Ken never figure out that for the most part it is a thing of attitude. Take the wrong attitude with a person, and they will bristle up everytime. Hurtful words, when spoken with a different approch, might be construed as a joke or as some innocent bantering between friends. Say them wrong and you have a fight on your hands, and, as in this case, the person is never seen in a different light.

Good post.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

PostSubject: Re: He Always Wanted a Friend   He Always Wanted a Friend EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 3:22 pm

Good points, Don.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: He Always Wanted a Friend   He Always Wanted a Friend Empty

Back to top Go down

He Always Wanted a Friend
Page 1 of 1