Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy

Go down 
AuthorMessage
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy Empty
PostSubject: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 5:54 pm

Here are several of my philosophies about truth, value, order, time, and god. I originally wrote these out on a bunch of index cards and recently typed them up.
Philosophy
P. Gordon Kennedy
Copyright 2009

Truth

Definition of Absolute Truth:
“A statement can be considered an absolute truth statement if and only if all possible observers observing from every possible location in space and time agree that it is true based on their observations.”
Absolute Truth Uncertainty Principle:
“No finite observer can determine with certainty if any given statement is an absolute truth statement because no finite observer can observe from all possible locations in space and time and no finite observer can know the observations of all other possible observers. Even if the observations of all possible observers from all points in space and time could be known, it would amount to an infinite amount of data and thus it would take an infinite amount of time to determine if a given statement is an absolute truth statement.”
Definition of Prospective-Dependent Absolute Truth:
“A perspective-dependant absolute truth statement is a statement determined to be absolutely true from the perspective of a specific observer observing from a specific location in space and time. The statement may or may not be absolutely true from perspectives other than the one specified.”
Definition of Relative Truth:
“A relative truth statement is a statement whose truth has been found to vary dependant on the perspective of the observer.”
Relative Nature of Observers and Observation:
“All observations are relative to their observers and all observers are relative to their observations.”
Definition of a Finite Observer:
“A finite observer is an observer who is incapable of observing from all points in space and time and is unable to know the observations of all other possible observers.”
Definition of Self-Equivalence:
“A self-equivalence statement is a statement that declares something to be equal to itself, such as 1=1.”
Definition of perspective:
“A perspective consists of the observations and value judgments of a given observer observing from a specific location in space and time.”

Value

Definition of Value:
“Value is a comparison between the quality, quantity, or significance of two different things or events made by an observer.”
Derivative Nature of Value:
“Value is a comparison between things or events. Such a comparison can only be made if there are two or more things to compare and an observer to make the comparison. Nothing has value without an observer to make the said comparison. Therefore, value derives from the observer’s ability to compare something to something else.”
Infinite Value Paradox:
“If an object were of infinite value, then it would be worth infinitely more than everything in existence including itself. It would be equivalent to saying A is worth more than A, a violation of self-equivalence. Furthermore, if an object were of infinite value it could not be compared to anything else and since value is a comparison, in the case of infinite value, the concept of value is irrelevant.”
Definition of Value Judgment:
“A value judgment is an arbitrary assessment of a quality in something made by an observer.”
Relative Nature of Value Judgments:
“All value judgments are relative to the perspective of the observer making the judgment and to all previous value judgments made by the said observer.”

Order

Observation and Order:
“All order derives from observation. The greater the number of ways in which the components of a system can be rearranged without the rearrangement being noticed by an observer the greater the disorder of that system. If there is no observer, all rearrangements of a system’s components will go unnoticed; therefore, the system will have maximum disorder. If the components of a system are organized such that any rearrangement of them will be noticed by an observer, the system has maximum order.”

Time

Infinity and Time:
“Given an infinite amount of time, all possibilities will be realized. Any point in space and time is always infinitely far away from infinity.”
Before the Beginning Paradox:
“If there were a beginning there would have to be a time before the beginning. Thus if there was a beginning of time there would need to be a time before the beginning and since there would be no time before the beginning there could not be a before the beginning and therefore there could not be a beginning. The same idea applies to the concept of after the end.”
Beginning and End of Time:
“Since the circumference of a circle of infinite diameter is indistinguishable from a straight line, every point in time can be equally said to be the beginning and the end of time.”
Time and Space Equivalence:
“Time and space are equivalent to one another. According to the principle of time dilation discovered by Albert Einstein, if something moves through space at the speed of light, its speed through time is zero. Therefore, it may be concluded that time equals linier spatial distance divided by the speed of light: T = D/C.”
Time, Space, Matter, and Energy Interdependence:
“Time, space, matter, and energy are fundamentally interdependent, not one can exist apart from the other three. If there were no time, nothing could move and thus there could be no energy and because Albert Einstein’s theory of relativity teaches us that matter and energy are equivalent, no energy would mean no matter and because space is the distance around, between, and within objects, no matter would mean no space. Therefore, it is demonstrated that none of these can exist apart from the others.”

God

Nature of God:
“God is the totality of all that exists, ever has existed, and ever will exist. God is all space, all time, all matter, and all energy. He is the totality of our universe and any and all possible parallel universes. By being the totality of all that is, was, and will be, god is present everywhere, all powerful, and all knowledgeable, for nothing can be more powerful and knowledgeable than the totality of existence and the totality of existence is by default present everywhere.”
Observer / Not Observer Duality and God:
“From the prospective of a finite observer, the universe observed and comprehended (including any and all possible parallel universes) is not in itself god. The observer is also not in and of itself god, but the combination of all that is the observer and all that is not the observer is god. God is the sum of all."

Last edited by P. Gordon Kennedy on Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 6:26 pm

Gordon, you are one cool and intelligent dude. (not to mention handsome. I like your new avatar, too.)

Ahad and I were talking about poetry and the way it can express scientific reality. This one has long been one of my favorites, especially when "Absolute Truth" is involved:

It was six men of Indostan
To learning much inclined,
Who went to see the Elephant
(Though all of them were blind),
That each by observation
Might satisfy his mind

The First approached the Elephant,
And happening to fall
Against his broad and sturdy side,
At once began to bawl:
"God bless me! but the Elephant
Is very like a wall!"

The Second, feeling of the tusk,
Cried, "Ho! what have we here
So very round and smooth and sharp?
To me 'tis mighty clear
This wonder of an Elephant
Is very like a spear!"

The Third approached the animal,
And happening to take
The squirming trunk within his hands,
Thus boldly up and spake:
"I see," quoth he, "the Elephant
Is very like a snake!"

The Fourth reached out an eager hand,
And felt about the knee.
"What most this wondrous beast is like
Is mighty plain," quoth he;
" 'Tis clear enough the Elephant
Is very like a tree!"

The Fifth, who chanced to touch the ear,
Said: "E'en the blindest man
Can tell what this resembles most;
Deny the fact who can
This marvel of an Elephant
Is very like a fan!"

The Sixth no sooner had begun
About the beast to grope,
Than, seizing on the swinging tail
That fell within his scope,
"I see," quoth he, "the Elephant
Is very like a rope!"

And so these men of Indostan
Disputed loud and long,
Each in his own opinion
Exceeding stiff and strong,
Though each was partly in the right,
And all were in the wrong!

Moral:

So oft in theologic wars,
The disputants, I ween,
Rail on in utter ignorance
Of what each other mean,
And prate about an Elephant
Not one of them has seen!
John Godfrey Saxe (1816-1887)

Ann

Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 6:57 pm

Guess everyone seems to like my new avatar.Very Happy Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy 78793
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 7:15 pm

Peter,
You are to be congratulated on establishing such firm and sound philosophies. You have a very beautiful mind and your work is testament to the kind of clear thinking rationalism that is sadly missing in much of our youth today.

Science is non-negotiable. With comedy, arts and politics, yes there is room for disagreement and bias, and most anything goes. With specific things in science and mathematics, there is only absolute truth as you have defined well.

I like abstract philosophies only to a limited degree, however, unless they can be applied to our lives in some way or other. I prefer to utilise them in the context of the real world.

So for example, the nearest large galaxy to us in space is the Andromeda Spiral Galaxy:

Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy Andromeda%20spirl%20galaxy

But that is over 3 million light years away and 1 light year is equivalent to nearly 6,000,000,000,000 miles!

For a human to spend an inordinate amount of time dreaming over voyaging to this place is like an ant trying to walk from Los Angeles on the west coast to New York on the east. An absurdity that the ant could avoid by instead trying to crawl around the city suburbs of LA and finding some food and a nice mate for itself Very Happy

So, in that context, I guess I think us humans would spend better time utilising our thoughts on taking a firm foothold on the Moon first:

Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy Moon_base06_s

With a view to later gaining a foothold on the planet Mars sometime in the latter half of this century:

Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy 20080529_mars

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Ann, I enjoyed the poetry. It is very colorful!
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 7:49 am

Science and Philosophy are both important keys to understanding the world we live in and the world beyond our sight.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 8:15 am

Gordon,

I love your philosophy.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2008-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 4:02 pm

I'm often reminded that we live in this world, but we're not of this world.

Last edited by merrihiatt on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 7:29 pm

There is another world beyond our sight. That's why you never leave a baby or a small child alone in a dark room, without leaving a light on for him/her Idea
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 3:00 pm

There may be galaxies so far away that their light will never reach us and then there is the posibility (I find likely) that there are parallel universes, prehapse an infinite number.
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 3:12 pm

Isn't it a fascinating thought Peter that parallel universes might definitely exist? I believe so.

There was an episode of Star Trek I watched as a youngster called 'Mirror Mirror'. In it, the crew of the Enterprise as we know them (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Sulu, etc) meet exact copies of themselves in a parallel universe.

In that *other* universe, they find true reflections of themselves. They have a mirror as in rorrim, an exact mirror opposite of their personalities and character traits as well.

Since these guys are always the good guys, their counterparts turn out to be a right bunch of evil guys.

Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy Enterprise
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 4:20 pm

Why are there no shows today like Star Trek? I bet if someone came up with one it would be very popular today.

Carol

PS Gordon and Ahad, could you work on that?
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 5:22 pm

I agree, Carol. That show instilled some good values into kids of my age. Many of us wouldn't be where we are today without things like Star Trek shaping our thinking from an early age.

I don't know if modern youngsters could relate to its "old ways" today
though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2efM6qFDHwQ&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coZ0ivEfVFk
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 6:10 pm

GOD

There is no order in the Universe, No Chaos, no Heaven or Hell

No Good or Bad, No Hot or Cold, No Sick or Well

There is no Up nor Down, No Yin and Yang

No Alpha and Omega, No Red nor Blue

There is but God, and only God, and nothing more

And sometimes, now and then, God looks at me and you

and decides to give us beginnings and endings and opposites!

Things without Names that we never understand.

And so we prowl our walled in world, shouting loudly

“Look what I made with my own hands”

But it was God, and only God, all else is but a cosmic lie.

For in the End, there is but God, and only God there is no You and I.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 6:12 pm

IMMORTALITY

I am Immortal!

Hand in hand with God

I pass through the Veil of the Shadow of Death

and walk slowly along Eternity’s Pathway!

As I walk, I leave footprints embedded deep

within the bedrock of the Earth,

where they shall remain forever and a day.

You cannot touch a rose,

nor feel a drop of rain upon your skin

without touching and feeling me!

My heart beats in the breast of the Tree of Life!

My blood courses through its veins,

and my breath fills its branches with song!

There is no doubt within my heart

that as long as there is a rose, a drop of rain,

a single tree, or a song,

I shall live!

And the Universe shall live within me!

I am Immortal!

Ó 1992 E. Don Harpe. All rights reserved. Use with prior permission only.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 6:53 pm

I once popped a question in my myspace blog: Was the Earth created by God?

One kind and thoughtful person replied:

"I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
and die to find out there isn't,
than live my life as if there isn't,
and die to find out there is."

I agree...
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 7:00 pm

Ahad,

Have you ever read The Planets by Dava Sobel? It is very good. I am thinking of you while I am reading. It is all about stars and planets and very well written.

Carol
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 2:41 pm

I haven't read that one, Carol. Sounds like an excellent book.

Beyond poetry and science, all the planets in our Solar System are an unwelcome mix of complex chemicals and poisonous gases. Of what possible interest could they be to us? No music, no movies, nobody there to entertain us... and no places to go for a meal when you're hungry neither.

There are three planets beyond this Earth that we could one day hope to put all those humanly things on. They are: Mars, Mars and Mars!

Are you familiar with Robert Zubrin's Mars Society? It's goals and visions:

The Purpose of the Mars Society

To further the goal of the exploration and settlement of the Red Planet. This will be done by:

1. Broad public outreach to instill the vision of pioneering Mars.
  2. Support of ever more aggressive government funded Mars exploration programs around the world.
  3. Conducting Mars exploration on a private basis.
Starting small, with hitchhiker payloads on government funded missions, we intend to use the credibility that such activity will engender to mobilize larger resources that will enable stand-alone private robotic missions and ultimately human exploration.

http://www.marssociety.org/portal

Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy 405_MarsColony02
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 7:35 am

Human society should seriously look at colonizing Mars. We should become a two planet species in the interest of gathering needed resources and providing insurance against dasaster. Farther into the future, we should even look beyond Mars, prehapse to some of the moons of the gas giant planets. Ultimately, if humanity is to survive, we'll have to look beyond the solar system. I think it is clear that the future of humanity will not be forever on the third rock from the sun; the future of humanity must be amoung the stars.
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 9:02 am

Here's a nice quote from the late Carl Sagan:

"We have lingered long enough on the shores of the cosmic ocean. We are ready at last to set sail for the stars."
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy EmptySun May 03, 2009 7:56 pm

And once we reach the stars, there are the galaxies and once we get there, there are in all likelihood an infinite number of parallel universes to explore. Ever onward!
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy EmptyTue May 05, 2009 6:54 pm

Whereas far-sighted visionaries (such as my goodself Very Happy ) are aiming for outward expansion, there is a greater philosophical force which is focussing on 'inward' expansion. Here are some neat ideas, see what you think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf1gZxmIDKw

pretty cool, eh? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy   Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy Empty

Back to top Go down

Philosophy of P. Gordon Kennedy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: