Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

My Periodic Table Coins

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

My Periodic Table Coins Empty
PostSubject: My Periodic Table Coins   My Periodic Table Coins EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 7:52 pm

Here's a picture of some of my periodic table coins. These are seven of my most interesting ones including Terbium, Holmium, Yttrium, Hafnium, Erbium, Tantalium, and blue anodized Niobium. In totality I have over 20 of these coins. I love the ones with unusual names and especially those made of elements not usually encountered. These coins are very expensive. Those in the photo alone are worth $155. I bought these in 2006 - 2007. In case you're wondering, none of my periodic table coins are radioactive.
My Periodic Table Coins Ss857913

Here's a close up of the blue anodized Niobium

My Periodic Table Coins Ss857914

And here's a close up of Erbium

My Periodic Table Coins Ss857915
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: My Periodic Table Coins   My Periodic Table Coins EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 6:01 am

You never cease to amaze me with things I didn't know exist. Interesting.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: My Periodic Table Coins   My Periodic Table Coins EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 3:14 pm

PGK,
I for one admire your collection. How neat is that to have a coin of each element in your collection?
When I was in my teens in high school, I was really excited about learning about the periodic table and the properties of each element.

My Periodic Table Coins Periodic-table

I too was a collector of small quantities of each of the common metals, since I could not get my hands on the more expensive rare earths. I ended up with a centimeter cube (1 cm x 1 cm x 1cm) of each of copper, lead, tin, zinc, nickel, aluminium and a handful of others that were a little bit rarer.

When it came to acquiring a centimeter cube of gold, platinum and silver to complete my metals list... then that was a major $$$$ dilemma Exclamation

Gold, for example, has a density of 19.3 grams per cubic centimeter. I have a gold ring that weighs 10.3 grams and it's 22 carats (~91.67% pure gold), costing £100 or $146.

Therefore, a cubic centimeter of the pure yellow metal would be at least $250 to $300 in todays prices... or maybe a little less (minus the labour charges built into the price of my gold ring).

Last edited by A Ahad on Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: My Periodic Table Coins   My Periodic Table Coins EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 7:51 pm

Actually, I have a very large element collection including the coins, samples in ampoules and samples in bottles and vials. I started collecting when I was 15 and now have ultra pure samples for almost 2/3 of the naturally occuring elements. The only elements I don't have are the extremely reactive and the radioactive ones and the ultra expensive ones. I think the coins are my favorite. Not sure what coin I like best. I like the blue color of the anodized Niobium (I also have non anodized Niobium). I like Erbium because of the unusual name (I like the way it sounds) and being a rare-earth not encountered often in regular life makes it even more interesting, but I like all the coins in my collection so it's hard to pick a favorite.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: My Periodic Table Coins   My Periodic Table Coins EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 8:15 pm

Heh, pretty cool. Do the coins have the actual element in them?

My coin collection isn't as interesting, being composed of,
well, real coins, lol. But I always did like my
wartime steel pennies.

My Periodic Table Coins Steelpenny
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: My Periodic Table Coins   My Periodic Table Coins EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 1:13 am

LC,
Great minds think alike... i was into coin collecting and stamp collecting and all that kinda stuff as well, but my coins weren't anywhere near as golden as yours.

I just snapped these photos of my 22 carat gold ring as I'm wearing it now Very Happy :

My Periodic Table Coins Ahad-ring2

My Periodic Table Coins Ahad-ring1

It's the ONLY gold thing I have. In my religion and culture, men are forbidden from wearing gold!
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: My Periodic Table Coins   My Periodic Table Coins EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 7:46 am

Yes, the coins are actually made of the real elements (That's why they're so expensive). The Erbium coin is actually made of Erbium and the Niobium coin is actually made of Niobium. I counted my coins last night and found I have 26 element coins representing 25 of the elements (I have both the anodized and non anodized versions of Niobium). One of the coins is even made from metallic Calium. That one is sealed in a special glass capsule due to the reactivity of Calcium metal (it'll react with water and would corode very easily if not encapsulated). I don't have a gold element coin (I do have silver) but I do have a 1/4 ounce gold Maple Leaf coin I bought back in 2004. Bought it for $115 and now its worth around $250.
Back to top Go down
Helen Wisocki
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Helen Wisocki

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: My Periodic Table Coins   My Periodic Table Coins EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 8:12 am

Um. Very nice ring, Abdul. But if men are forbidden to wear gold in your culture and religion, than why . . . ?

Gordon, I like the blue coin, too. Very pretty color.
Back to top Go down
http://www.innocencebetrayedbyclergy.com
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: My Periodic Table Coins   My Periodic Table Coins EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 8:23 am

I like the blue coin too. They make it blue through a process called anodization. This involves the use of electric current to alter the surface of the coin such that it scatters blue light (similar to how blue light is scattered by the upper atmosphere making the sky blue). The color is not painted on so it will never fade or rub off. The blue Niobium coin pictured cost $14 or $2 more than the non-anodized Niobium coin and if I remember correctly, the Erbium coin was $16. The cheepest element coins are Aluminum and Copper which cost $4 and $5 respectively.
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: My Periodic Table Coins   My Periodic Table Coins EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 12:39 pm

Helen Wisocki wrote:
Um. Very nice ring, Abdul. But if men are forbidden to wear gold in your culture and religion, than why . . . ?

Somehow, men don't look so good wearing expensive jewellery as do women. Why do I wear a gold ring when I'm not supposed to?

Ah... some rules are flexible...
Back to top Go down
Helen Wisocki
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Helen Wisocki

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: My Periodic Table Coins   My Periodic Table Coins EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 1:05 pm

Glad to hear that the rules are flexible. I guess I was concerned by the word "forbidden." Wouldn't want you to get in trouble. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.innocencebetrayedbyclergy.com
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: My Periodic Table Coins   My Periodic Table Coins EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 2:17 pm

I bought that ring back in 1991, when my first wife had just left me. I was going through a lot of heartache at the time and I wanted to treat myself to something special, so I bought the ring.

Affairs of the heart have to come above petty lil man made rules! So! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Periodic Table Coins   My Periodic Table Coins Empty

Back to top Go down

My Periodic Table Coins
Page 1 of 1