Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

PA Author discounts

Go down 
+8
Phil Whitley
Helen Wisocki
dkchristi
Afinerosesheis
zadaconnaway
RunsWithScissors
Carol Troestler
Abe F. March
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PA Author discounts Empty
PostSubject: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 10:19 pm

Just received an email from PA offering two books for $9.99.
If they can afford to sell a book for $5.00, why is the retail price $27.95?
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 11:26 pm

Abe, all I can say is if you and I ran the company, we'd do things a lot different.

Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2008-12-31

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 11:49 pm

Good question.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 12:32 am

You mst be priveleged, Abe. The last offer (two actually) that I received was for $7.99 per book.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Afinerosesheis
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptyMon Apr 06, 2009 4:26 am

They are full of greed and BS, that's why.

Mine was priced 7.99. That isn't much less than I paid for them in 2006.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptyTue Apr 07, 2009 7:11 am

If a table at B&N had my books at 2/9.99 - that would be terrific, not hidden on a shelf at $24.95. I still have a bunch of books I purchased at $11.00 for a book festival I subsequently did not attend. I have sold some of them at other events, but I still have a bigger stock than I would choose.

I'm am still so disappointed in the book cover advertising of random genre, quality and age material that at least these books have empty covers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Helen Wisocki
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Helen Wisocki

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 5:36 am

I got the $9.99 offer per book and emailed to see how much it'd cost to ship. The day after the offer ended, I got a reply telling me that the standard shipping is $4.99 for the first book and $2.99 for each other book. So, it was $61.80 to ship 20 books! I passed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.innocencebetrayedbyclergy.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 7:39 am

Gee, Helen. That would only have amounted to a little more than $260.00 for 20 books. What a deal!

I don't blame you, I would pass on it as well.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 10:45 am

Mail order companies have made lots of money on Shipping and Handling (S+H) charges. Some base their profit on that.

With a large bulk order coming from a publisher, it should be charged actual Shipping instead of a flat per book rate. That's what happened to me on my initial order. What they forgot was that on a bulk shipment, they had to show "actual" shipping costs for customs purposes. The difference was absurd.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 2:55 pm

Vista Print does that with their "free" business cards - a flat shipping fee of $4.99; however, it's obvious that they are earning money on the shipping, and it's worth it. The 250 business cards free with $4.99 shipping are a "shipping" bargain. Generally, I would expect a publisher to earn their money from selling books, not shipping. Oh, well.
Back to top Go down
Afinerosesheis
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-03-17

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 3:33 pm

dkchristi wrote:
Vista Print does that with their "free" business cards - a flat shipping fee of $4.99; however, it's obvious that they are earning money on the shipping, and it's worth it. The 250 business cards free with $4.99 shipping are a "shipping" bargain. Generally, I would expect a publisher to earn their money from selling books, not shipping. Oh, well.

It would be wonderful if a publisher were to earn their money selling books to the readers, not the authors who wrote them. But it isn't a perfect world, I suppose.

I used Vista Print several times for me and my husband and I really like them.
Back to top Go down
Phil Whitley
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Phil Whitley

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 8:18 pm

Something is afoot...

Today I received an email from PA that reminded me of the store in
Macon that displayed a "Going out of Business" sign for several years.

This one says in part:

Quote :
Dear Author,
PublishAmerica has been informing all authors about back-to-back special sales offers for more than a year now. We are discontinuing this practice

This is our final special sales offer for all authors. If you want to benefit, as more than
11,000 authors have done in the past twelve months, this is the week to do it.
Three days only, that's all the time you'll have. After that, we're going back to regular pricing on most titles.

Here's our final special 3-day-only offer for all authors:

It goes on to specify the sale particulars (45% off and all orders are doubled)

Not a bad deal actually, until you figure in the shipping charges.
Back to top Go down
http://www.philwhitley.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 11:14 pm

I think you are on to something, Brew. I got the same email. So it's like 'now or never'. Maybe they will stop with the spam now.
Back to top Go down
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 11:20 pm

I received that e-mail, too. I didn't know if it meant PA was trying to get us to buy more books (more $$$ for them) or if I'd get an e-mail in a week or so saying they were extending the offer due to popular demand!!!

I made the mistake of purchasing my own books once and I won't purchase any more of my own books, so they're barking up the wrong tree with me.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 6:29 am

I very seldom get those emails from PA, but got that one.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 8:24 am

It sounded like they were preparing to go out of business. That's how I read it. Your last chance to order your book.
Back to top Go down
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 11:30 am

Don't get my hopes up, Abe!!!
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 2:31 pm

The funniest message arrived today. It began "Slow down" because the phones are ringing off the hook so the sale has been extended two days. It ended "Be very quick." So which is it, slow or quick?

I don't take their "final" sale seriously. In the not too distant future I'll bet they start again because of "the thousands of requests from authors." Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll be surprised if they go out of business. If that happens it will create chaos because they will still own the rights to all those thousands of books.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 10:55 am

Marie,
I confess. I am the who.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 4:06 pm

You confuse me merrihiatt? On Absolute write Water Cooler (a forum) you states several times how the members of that forum had SAVED you from Publish America. Now you say they have one of your books? Does that mean your not saved?
Back to top Go down
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 4:15 pm

I signed with PA before I realized that their business model was to sell books to their authors. I was "saved" because I found out quickly and didn't spend a ton of money buying my own books. I was under the misunderstanding that PA had read my submission, liked my work, and thought it was worth publishing. I didn't know at the time that they would publish just about anything. Their major concern was making sure my credit card would clear when I purchased books.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 4:23 pm

Sorry to hear they got you...I have never understood why authors who signed with them have never formed a class-action suit?
I have only been taken once...Lee Shore (agent) got me for $300...
We live, and we learn...then we go on to better things, and leave the hurts behind us.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 4:38 pm

When I signed with PA in 2006, I had faith in my novel and in their process. I did get all that I expected at that time. My only disappointment was not realizing that a 500 page book in POD technology would have a higher price than I expected and not knowing PA had a bad rep. I did not expect a PR blitz or that I would become famous or rich. I expected steady sales, an entry into publishing and hope for a miracle. I am sorry that people expected more and received less; their vocal disappointment reflects on me and my choice of publishers at the time. I understand PA's business plan now and how it hurts the hopes of naive people and bites their finances when their books lack professionalism; PA does print errors and weak books in addition to some outstanding publications that are great to read. They have their place in the market; it's truly "author beware;" however, I hear it is that way with just about any contract.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 10:25 pm

DK,
My signing with PA was with eyes wide shut. I was one of those first time authors who expected to see the book on shelves across America, having believed in the "10,000 brick and mortar stores."
Then the learning process began and I tried to adapt. Since the egg was already fried, I decided to chalk it up to experience and move on. I was pleased to find a publisher that had better terms and that placed a book on the market with a realistic price. My third novel is now in the process and I'm doing things with eyes wide open.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 4:44 pm

The small presses don't get their books shelved either.........
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PA Author discounts   PA Author discounts Empty

Back to top Go down

PA Author discounts
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next