Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Do tree roots always grow downwards?

Go down 
+7
Phil Whitley
Abe F. March
Dick Stodghill
alj
Betty Fasig
thehairymob
A Ahad
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Helen Wisocki
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Helen Wisocki

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Do tree roots always grow downwards? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do tree roots always grow downwards?   Do tree roots always grow downwards? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 2:11 pm

I remember doing that experiment as a kid!
Back to top Go down
http://www.innocencebetrayedbyclergy.com
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Do tree roots always grow downwards?   Do tree roots always grow downwards? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 1:58 pm

Helen,

Simple experiments in science stir old memories for me too!

The fun I had burning magnesium in the classroom when my chemistry teacher was out to lunch with another teacher she happened to be dating at the time Very Happy

Okay...... here we have a plant sitting comfortably on a table:

Do tree roots always grow downwards? - Page 2 Artificial_gravity_demo_cylindrical_starship1

Its roots would be happily growing downwards, as indicated by the red arrow.

No mysteries or room for arguments there.

And here we have a plant that's growing in a pot being subject to high speed rotation, thus :

Do tree roots always grow downwards? - Page 2 Artificial_gravity_demo_cylindrical_starship

Does anyone here think this could happen (as in the centrifugal sense of angular acceleration) ?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Do tree roots always grow downwards?   Do tree roots always grow downwards? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 2:27 pm

Are you saying that if the tree was spinning as in the bucket demonstration, the water would stay above the surface and the roots would grow upwards towards the water? I think the bean and blotting paper experiment would demonstrate whether roots grow upwards. If the blotting paper only extended half way down the glass container (jar) and the bean was wedged between glass and paper, close to the bottom edge of the blotting paper, the root should grow upwards to take up the water in the blotting paper ... but would it?
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Do tree roots always grow downwards?   Do tree roots always grow downwards? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 3:18 pm

Shelagh,
The bean and blotting paper experiment sounds like a good idea to try this out. I'll see if there are some links on the net that lead the way.

The theoretical principles is what I'm trying to illustrate here.

In this example I gave above of water in a bucket being spun at high speed :

Do tree roots always grow downwards? - Page 2 Centrifugal

The reason why the water does not spill is because it is pushing against the bottom of the bucket (the direction of the arrow in the diagram where it says 'centrifugal force').

So if the bucket was spun like this:

Do tree roots always grow downwards? - Page 2 Artificial_gravity_demo_cylindrical_starship2

At position C, when the bucket is upside down for a split second, we see the water to be pushing upward against the bottom of the bucket, hence the water will not spill out. So as long as someone keeps the bucket continuously spinning in this way, the water will not spill out, even when it goes upside down for a split second in each rotation.

Therefore, the same principle should apply to the roots of a tree planted in such a spinning bucket. The same centrifugal forces will be at play to cause its roots to grow towards the bottom of the bucket:

Do tree roots always grow downwards? - Page 2 Artificial_gravity_demo_cylindrical_starship

Question is: has any experiment been done yet that demonstrates this in practice? geek
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Do tree roots always grow downwards?   Do tree roots always grow downwards? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 4:00 pm

Plants and gravity:

http://www.rbg.ca/cbcn/en/cbcn4kids/kid_activ.htm

Scroll down the page to find "Plants and gravity".
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Do tree roots always grow downwards?   Do tree roots always grow downwards? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 1:26 am

That little kiddies experiment is not quite what I had in mind.

The way to answer this would be to put a plant into an astronaut training centrifuge and have it spinning 24/7 for a whole month non-stop. Then to see if the roots of the plant have grown outwards as I predicted they would in my interstellar ark back in 2004:

Do tree roots always grow downwards? - Page 2 Abdulahad-riverinthesky

Or there is this kiddies experiment, where one could place a plant on the inner rim of a tyre and roll it continously for a few hundred miles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg7s6Ohrp0c

Do tree roots always grow downwards? - Page 2 293992
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Do tree roots always grow downwards?   Do tree roots always grow downwards? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2009 3:15 am

On the link I provided it says:
"Can you think of an example of positive geotropism? What about the roots of the plant? They are growing towards the force of gravity. How does it work? Plants have hormones that respond to the pull of gravity and tell the plant which way to build cells and grow. So now you know that you can't plant a seed upside down."

I remember doing the bean experiment when I was a child. The upside down beans had shoots that started to grow in the wrong direction and then started to grow in a curve and eventually grew in the right direction. When I asked about the blotting paper only half-filling the jar, I asked if the root would grow upwards to find the water. The answer is that it wouldn't. The root assumes that water is below ground and will grow downwards, expecting to find water. It is the force of gravity that determines the direction of growth not the presence or absence of water.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do tree roots always grow downwards?   Do tree roots always grow downwards? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Do tree roots always grow downwards?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2