Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Copyright permission

Go down 
+5
Brenda Hill
lin
Shelagh
Malcolm
Abe F. March
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

Copyright permission - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copyright permission   Copyright permission - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 8:33 am

That's amazing, Abe. Most people wait months to even hear back, must less be granted permission. Congratulations!

I think paraphrasing, along with the title, can be very effective, but it depends on how the paragraph reads.

For instance, a character could be talking about love:

"It's a hunger that's never satisfied," she said, her voice hushed, "an aching need, just like in that song, 'The Rose.' "

Or some such thing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Copyright permission   Copyright permission - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 9:50 am

Thanks Brenda,
you've given me an idea. Don't know if Dick was watching.
Back to top Go down
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

PostSubject: Re: Copyright permission   Copyright permission - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 10:16 am

Is he still watching? Darn. I thought he'd give up by now. Must be dedication or obstinacy, and I'll won't tell which one I'd bet on.

Copyright permission - Page 2 855547

Carol's paraphrasing is great. And, in reading over my example, I'd paraphrase even more, just to be safe.

It's not that songwriters refuse to have their material printed; it's a matter of money. Like novelists, they simply want their cut, and I can understand. If someone wants to use something I've written, more power to them, but give me a cut.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Copyright permission   Copyright permission - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 11:19 am

Brenda,

At least recognition. I have a story floating around the internet with the author "anonymous." I will write and ask them to put my name with a copyright symbol and "used with permission" after it. Some just take it off their website or messageboard.

I just can't write without mentioning songs. An error in my first book was having my character sing "Wait til' the Sun Shines Nellie," in 1885 and later someone pointing out it wasn't written until 1905. I checked out dates on hymns and other songs, but that one I thought, for sure, was a very old folk song.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

PostSubject: Re: Copyright permission   Copyright permission - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 11:25 am

Carol Troestler wrote:
Brenda,

At least recognition. I

So true, Carol.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Copyright permission   Copyright permission - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 5:57 pm

I'm not surprised about Du, du, liegst mir im Herzen. That's been around for ever, it seems. When I took German in High School, we sang that as an example of a very old song (and that's been a while).

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Copyright permission   Copyright permission - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 11:25 pm

You're right Malcolm. It's an old German folk song, however the translation into English was done by another person. He is the one who gave me the Okay to use it.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Copyright permission   Copyright permission - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 10:38 pm

Follow-up
on my inquiry for permission to use lyrics.

I received permission to use the lyrics for “Du, du…” with no strings attached. The permission is shown on the book.

As for permission for “The Rose,” after bouncing around, I sent an email to the author who responded referring me to the publisher/agent. With several emails, answering questions about me, the publisher, how it will be listed, etc. They agreed to issue a license and wanted to know the number of book copies that would be produced on the first production run, i.e., 500 - 5000. I informed them that it was a POD publisher and there was no initial production run. I stated that there would be approximately 20 to 30 books produced for promotional purposed and from that point, copies made as ordered.

I received the license showing a minimum production of 500 copies. The license was for a period of 3 years. The initial fee was $55.00 and the license would be valid upon receipt of payment.

I sent the following as my response:

“Dear ….,
I want to thank you for the time and effort you placed into my license request, however the licensing requirements are too limited and expensive for my purposes. I shall leave the lyrics out of my book.
I do love the song and have the greatest praise for the author. Anyone who reads the lyrics would certainly want to have the music.

Respectfully,“
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Copyright permission   Copyright permission - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 11:08 pm

There is a great outfit called, "Brain Technologies" that wrote a book in the early 80's, "The Strategy of the Dodphin." At that time, I used the book extensively to conduct training workshops througout the country with no qualms about "permissions." Later, I realized that the book was full of copyright issues regarding its use. I wrote to the authors and confessed my error. He was gracious beyond expectations, inviting me to look at their more recent resources and this time gain permission for their use. Sometimes, the world works as it should. By the way, I highly recommend a look at their web site for some "mind expanding" ideas.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Copyright permission   Copyright permission - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 7:02 am

8/10/2009

Hi Everyone..

In my new book: " Clara Layten-The Chelsea Murders," I state one victim is walking and humming the words from : " As Time Goes By." In another Chapter I state the audience at the supper club is clapping and cheering for singer Eva Lane to sing " Ja Regret Rein," ( I Regret Nothing) by Edith Piaf ) , you never hear her sing the song, it suggested she sings...

Cheers...Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Copyright permission   Copyright permission - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 12:37 pm

Joe, you can use any title, but if you are quoting the lyrics you had better obtain permission.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Copyright permission   Copyright permission - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Copyright permission
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2