Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Magnetic levitation and magic carpets

Go down 
+3
zadaconnaway
Betty Fasig
A Ahad
7 posters
AuthorMessage
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Magnetic levitation and magic carpets Empty
PostSubject: Magnetic levitation and magic carpets   Magnetic levitation and magic carpets EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 4:24 pm

A magic carpet is what? A piece of fabric woven like a normal carpet you put on your living room floor... ah, but there is a difference! It flies!

I really enjoyed reading Carol's story in the anthology, which was about a woman who flew to foreign lands carried upon a magic carpet. What an adventure she had.

It reminded me of a scene I wrote in the first chapter of my second novel, The True Price of Immortality. Inside a castle, set in an alien landscape on a planet far, far away, in both space and in time, they rode on magic carpets. Since the castle is so enormous in its dimensions, people rely on flying carpets for transportation to move from one end of its expanse to the other end. Except these weren't "magic" carpets in the fantasy sense. I could not get away with magic carpets in a hard SF novel, there had to be some technological innovation behind their workings.

What I imagined was that since the floor of this alien castle was made of a magnetic metal, it could repel another object made of the same magnetic metal that was opposite in its polarity. So, much like how the two like-poles of a magnet will repel one another, you would get an effect known as 'magnetic levitation'. Similar to what the Japanese high speed monorail trains run on.

Hence, in that story in my book, my magic carpets were actually founded on physical laws, and the carpet my characters rode on was hovering several feet above the floor of the castle on magnetic levitation and propelled along horizontally by use of tiny ion drives mounted on the underside of the carpet.

So now I feel I have an invention of magic space carpets to my name, that could one day fly on the Moon under its 1/6th lunar gravity! My claim to fame, I was the FIRST! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic levitation and magic carpets   Magnetic levitation and magic carpets EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 4:33 pm

Dear Ahad,
I can see your vison. I do believe it will work! You are a thinker beyond your time. I love your posts! In my dreams I can fly. Ah! what a feeling that is.

I do think that there is more possible than most people can imagine. I would like to see it all.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic levitation and magic carpets   Magnetic levitation and magic carpets EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 9:12 pm

Wonderful invention, Ahad--you'd best patent it before someone else does!!

Isn't the imagination a wondrous thing? And the world is so full of great things. Sasquatch comes tomind, as does the Yeti. I think they are basically the same thing. They have discovered previously unknown creatures in very remote places, and I think maybe the elves have taken them to the forests to protect them.

Would these magnetic carpets repel each other, Ahad? That might make it difficult for folks to get together.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic levitation and magic carpets   Magnetic levitation and magic carpets EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 12:28 am

Zada,
as I understand it, Likes attract, opposites repel.
If that applies to male/female being opposites, then I see a big problem.
Back to top Go down
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic levitation and magic carpets   Magnetic levitation and magic carpets EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 1:02 am

Can't be any worse, Abe, than being from Venus when your love interest is from Mars.

I LOVED all the stories and cartoons about magic carpets. And like you, Zada, I believe the Yeti and Sasquatch are variations of the same species.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic levitation and magic carpets   Magnetic levitation and magic carpets EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 3:39 am

I think the magnets would also prevent mid-air collisions.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic levitation and magic carpets   Magnetic levitation and magic carpets EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 9:49 am

Sounds good to me, Carol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic levitation and magic carpets   Magnetic levitation and magic carpets EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 1:25 pm

Carol Troestler wrote:
I think the magnets would also prevent mid-air collisions.

Carol

I was thinking of 'bumper cars'!
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic levitation and magic carpets   Magnetic levitation and magic carpets EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 3:55 am

Reason why I mentioned magic carpets "on the Moon" one day is pretty obvious; for the equivalent amount of magnetic repulsion, you'd get carpets flying SIX TIMES HIGHER up from the ground of the Moon than you would on Earth.

In fact, if you jumped up into the air...okay there's no 'air' on the Moon but you know what I mean... you'd be six times higher than on Earth...
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic levitation and magic carpets   Magnetic levitation and magic carpets EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 6:08 am

Would you land 6 times softer if you fell?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic levitation and magic carpets   Magnetic levitation and magic carpets EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 7:44 am

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic levitation and magic carpets   Magnetic levitation and magic carpets EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 8:59 am

zadaconnaway wrote:
Would you land 6 times softer if you fell?

Smile

The answer is yes. And quite positively so, since you weigh only one sixth as much on the moon as you do on earth, you will fall to the ground from your magic carpet with a force that's proportionately less (1/6th of earth's).

The physics equation is F = m * a; where F is the force measured in Newtons, m is your mass in kilograms and a is the acceleration due to gravity in m/s^2.

Taking this example one step further, if you were to jump up from the surface of a very small object, such as an asteroid like the one in this picture:

http://www.astroscience.org/abdul-ahad/firstarktoalphacentauri/m-c-4.jpg

You wouldn't really fall back down to the ground at all; you'd be carrying on flying up...up...and away!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Magnetic levitation and magic carpets   Magnetic levitation and magic carpets Empty

Back to top Go down

Magnetic levitation and magic carpets
Page 1 of 1