Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Adopt an Unfamous Author.

Go down 
+10
Abe F. March
Shelagh
Carol Troestler
A Ahad
alj
Pam
Don Stephens
JoElle
Phil Whitley
Betty Fasig
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Adopt an Unfamous Author. Empty
PostSubject: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 4:32 pm

As you all know, I am not famous. Neither is my book Wooffer or Wooffer, himself, except in smalll circles. But!!!! And this is a big but... there are children who would really, and I do mean really love to contact us not so famous authors. They need the hope when they are 12 old or so. It is the time that the soul is trying to express it's own self (that is my own opinion) and to put word to paper is such a laughed at thing these days. Be that as it may be, these children need the encouragement we can give.

I wondered if anyone would be willing to be a kind of pen pal to a school class room for a little while. Say, for instance, they were studying Civil War, and they could rely on Carol Troestler because she has studied that era and written books about the real people. Or, they were into the history of country music and E Don could add his expertise, and A. Ahad could enlighten them about the stars. My mind is just beginning this thought. I hope that you all can see how you can help and be famous to a small group of kids at the same time. There is no money in it, but maybe some smiles and enhancing some dreams.

I think back on my old life and the times that someone showed me a light for one of my dreams that seemed so impossible at the time...it may have just been a smile or a touch of someone's hand guiding mine, but each of those touches were as electric as a light coming on in my heart. There are no small acts of kindness. Every kind act has ripples that resonate into the future.

I do go on.

Let me know what you think.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 5:35 pm

I want to go on.

JoElle, Brew, Marie, Pam, Zada, Shelagh, DT, Dick,...I feel that I should name you all lest you think I do not mean you in this adventure. I am sorry to not mention all that are looking in that I do not know. I hope you see.

Ah, Dick, can you imagine a child who wants to be a mystery writer...well that would be me, too....getting a note from you and some advice on how to begin if you are 12 years old. I think it would have been life altering for me at that age. Well, right now it would work, too. hahahah.

Joelle, you are an elf. I have seen your little ears in the green woods with sparkles all around. Imagine what you can do for a small child looking out for elves. It would be magic. You are magic.

Ann, my lovely serious and beautiful reflection....All children understand heros. From Babe Ruth to The Blue Ox, every child understand the wonderful thing a hero is. It is their dream for themself, to be a little special in the whole of things. I imagine that is every human's goal...to make a mark of some sort other than the usual being born and dying. It is only in olden age that we forget we had that dream. Keeping dreams alive. You do that.

Brew.
I wonder if you would like to donate a story you have on Amazon Shorts. Just a thought.

The way I am, I have found out that my book will never be famous from PA' efforts or mine. I have decided that I would just as soon have my words read any where and every where for free. If not one thing else, the little kids that read it for free will have had a nice time doing it and perhaps it will set a young mind at ease to write their own stories.

Love
Betty
Back to top Go down
Phil Whitley
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Phil Whitley

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 5:50 pm

Betty, I think you have come up with a grand idea! (Geez, did I just
say that? I don't think I have used "grand" as an adjective before).
Anyway, count me in. The only Amazon short I did was The Good Ol' Boys ~ Catfishin', and it has beer drinking in it.

Better, I think is the Indian related information I have picked up -
mostly about the southeastern tribes, and especially the Creek and
Seminole (who are related).

Are you thinking of one school that you know of, or has this *grand* idea grown to epic proportions?
Back to top Go down
http://www.philwhitley.com
Phil Whitley
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Phil Whitley

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 5:52 pm

And while I'm here... why do my posts have short lines for a while, then suddenly one appears that covers the entire area?

I thought at first it was when I copy/paste from Word, but nope. It
happens when I type directly into the box, just like I'm doing now.

EDIT: See? It did it again!
Back to top Go down
http://www.philwhitley.com
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 5:57 pm

Betty,

I think it is a beautiful idea.

My sister and mother both insist I should be visiting schools ... and I should.

Perhaps schools should be made aware of resources found within their own communities?

Not all classroom visitors need be rich and/or famous to have something useful to say.

Truly a brilliant idea!!
Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 6:39 pm

Betty,
A few years back an author friend of mine, who was also an English teacher got a group of us writers together as mentors. She told anyone at the school that was interested in writing to write their short stories and submit them to her. She would inturn enter them into a word document and forward to one of the group to critique. For security purposes the writers never had direct contact with the students. For about a year I was mentoring two girls and a boy that wanted to write adventure stories. It was a lot of fun watching their writing grow.
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 7:47 pm

Betty, what a beautiful idea. You have hit on something that is, I think, so important, and also could certainly be improved upon when it comes to educating the future writers of the world. As our libraries continue to cut budgets and shrink collections, and kids turn more and more to electronics, this will make more and more sense.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 8:20 pm

It's a great idea, Betty. Let me know what I can do.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 1:05 am

Betty,
Grand idea and this would be a more caring and sharing way forward for us all, after all, the children are our future's future.
I have given a few talks in my local schools and colleges in the past and I still get the occasional e-mail "What was that bright star I saw the other night?"

Proud to be in your circle...
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 2:33 am

Betty,

That is a beautiful idea. Now we need a school, or a few schools or a lot of schools.

JoElle, there was a movie on TV about a man with Tourette's syndrome that was a teacher. He had contact with a semi-driver who emailed regularly as to where she was. He had a big map in his room of where the "red truck" was. Thus he taught geography that the kids could relate to. Then the "red truck" came to the school one day and the kids were ecstatic!

I also went to eighth grade social studies classes about my book, and one student interviewed me for a book report. A long time ago a fifth grade class in the next town gave a play I had written. They invited the author, gave her a special chair and afterwards each one came up and shook my hand. They didn't know I wasn't a "famous" author.

I think it would work!!

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 4:23 am

Phil Whitley wrote:
And while I'm here... why do my posts have short lines for a while, then suddenly one appears that covers the entire area?

I thought at first it was when I copy/paste from Word, but nope. It
happens when I type directly into the box, just like I'm doing now.

EDIT: See? It did it again!
Hi Brew,

Try using a different browser. If you remember, we had trouble registering you as Brew. It's just an electronic incompatibility that you might not be able to adjust.

Betty,

Count me in.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 7:03 am

An excellent idea, Betty.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 8:11 am

I think this is a great idea, Betty. That must have been your light I saw shining brightly in the Eastern sky last night!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 9:08 am

Betty,

I would love to help--I like all of-- your ideas and you also.

SInce you do not have me it the category of unfamous authors--I will be glad to serve as a famous author. I would be honored to have Brenda and lin serve with me. They can tell the kids how to write and I will tell them to avoid PD.

They will love us.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 9:49 am

Carol Troestler wrote:
... JoElle, there was a movie on TV about a man with Tourette's syndrome that was a teacher. He had contact with a semi-driver who emailed regularly as to where she was. He had a big map in his room of where the "red truck" was. Thus he taught geography that the kids could relate to. Then the "red truck" came to the school one day and the kids were ecstatic! ...

Carol

Carol,

There is a very real program like that.
It is called Trucker Buddy. Their website: www.truckerbuddy.org
I think it is an awesome program.
For about a year I regularly sent post cards to some homeschoolers.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 11:22 am

Betty, your idea is a good one. When I was with the paper in Indiana I often talked to classes from fourth grade up to journalism students at Ball State University. Also student groups interested in writing and seminars at the Midwest Writers Workshop. Don't do it any more because I'm past it.
Most of the things that apply to writing mysteries apply to any type of writing. There are a few rules for mysteries, chief among them being always play fair with the reader. Red herrings are OK, but nor if they are misleading, and no last-page villains, that sort of thing. The best advice for anyone wanting to write a mystery is to read a lot of them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 11:34 am

Anyone hoping to help a young author should check out Mike Perry's post under the "Books" category on this site.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 11:53 am

Alice wrote:
Betty,

I would love to help--I like all of-- your ideas and you also.

SInce you do not have me it the category of unfamous authors--I will be glad to serve as a famous author. I would be honored to have Brenda and lin serve with me. They can tell the kids how to write and I will tell them to avoid PD.

They will love us.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 2:04 pm

Thank you all for your kind hearts. I will talk to the principal of Duette Elementary this next week and tell her how wonderful you all are and ask how we could help with our books and knowledge. Perhaps some of you know other schools that would be willing to adopt some of us. Smile Adopt an Unfamous Author. 401565

Alice, I think, if you would send your story of the Green Purse it would be greatly enjoyed by the students and the principal. Sorry I did not list your name. You know I love you best.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 2:48 pm

Of course , Betty,

Thanks for your answer--when no one answered my first post--my head began to grow.

I thought "Oh my I am so famous they haven't even heard of me."

it was such a great feeling!
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 3:04 pm

Dear Alice,
I wish I could have been there with you to see it. Except for Cora the Cabbage, my knowledge of heads growing is limited to my own and is equal to my famous-ness. That is like the Loch Ness Monster - only it is in my dreams and the monster really likes me.

Last night, I dreamed I found a very small giraffe stuck in a sand pile. I reached down and pulled him/her out squirming all neck and eyeballs and legs. The poor thing had wrecked his/her wagon and was stuck in a sand avalanche. It was a good thing I came along.
To my utter amazement, his name was Ralph and he could talk up a storm. He was worried about his wagon.
I looked at it and understood immediatly that the tires were flat. They were very small tires and I could not find that size in any garage that I searched for them. Finally, I took a toy truck off of my shelf and the tires were just the right size. Ralph was so glad, as was I.

Ralph went on his way as I waved goodbye.

See how loose my mind is. It is no wonder.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 3:11 pm

I love your dreams--what do you eat for dinner?
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 3:15 pm

Broccoli
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 3:16 pm

I'd like to clarify a misconception: I don't have big ears; I have a small head.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 3:37 pm

Shelagh wrote:
I'd like to clarify a misconception: I don't have big ears; I have a small head.

Wrong on both counts-if you had big ears-you'd look like an elephant.
A small head would make you look like a snake.

Since you do not in the least way resemble either an elephant or a snake, I deduce you look normal.

You look better than normal, don't tell anyone I said so though and don't let it get your head puffed up either.

I sure hope Dick agrees with my analysis. Time will certainly tell.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adopt an Unfamous Author.   Adopt an Unfamous Author. Empty

Back to top Go down

Adopt an Unfamous Author.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next