Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Book sales statistics

Go down 
AuthorMessage
dofooty

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Book sales statistics Empty
PostSubject: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 4:10 am

Hello all!

Is there any way I can find information of book sales for a specific book, without contacting the publisher directly? I'm interested in the stats on these two non-fiction works:

978-0572030452 "Lay Back and Think of Winning" by Nigel Paul, Foulsham
978-1905156450 "A Bloody Good Winner" by Dave Nevison, Highdown.

Is this info generally available, or could someone please help me find it?
Kind regards
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 6:25 am

I doubt that you will find many, if any, publishers willing to give out sales figures to a third party.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
dofooty

PostSubject: Re: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 6:34 am

Sure. I was hoping that a reader of this forum may have access to the Nielsen data, and would drop a hint here!
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12583
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 6:40 am

I could drop a hint -- but it wouldn't be about the Nielsen data.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©Shelagh Watkins 2017
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dofooty

PostSubject: Re: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 8:21 am

Forgive me for my abrupt arrival to this forum!

My question is related to these two books since they are closest in content to a book I am considering writing. I am a highly successful football gambler approaching an early retirement! As a means to maximising income I am considering revealing my exact gambling methods in a textbook; needless to say, I value this information very highly.

Along with the book I was also considering a promotion website detailing further information (premium content). However, without having a rough estimate of sales (and royalties) I could be selling all my trade secrets for nothing! My question, therefore, is: “how much money can I expect to make from a book of this genre?”

Needless to say the publishers of the aforementioned books have, so far, been understandably unwilling to reveal their sales. The only possible source of information appears to be Nielsen, but enquiries there have reached a dead end.

Are there are any sources of book sales data?
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 8:09 pm

Have you considered contacting the authors or approaching a publisher?
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 8:33 pm

You are worrying this from the wrong end, man.

I think your idea for a book is a good one.
I think your best bet would be a sort of racy bio combined with your betting secrets.

But there is no point trying to find out what books in the genre sell like. Yours might or might not be in the same neighborhood.

What is more important it to develop a query and start seeing what interest there is. If nobody is buying, there's not point in hassling about the sales figures.

(That said: amazon rankings might be a barometer)

Tell you what I think: I think you might have a good solid candidate for self-published title. Maybe even something gamblers and football betters would pay a premium for.
And there are direct routes to those people, aren't there?

So you're talking a niche book (not that many people are serious sports gamblers compared to the amount that, say, read mysteries or romances) you have direct marketing tools available to access that niche.

I'd say do a good solid job of hitting the market. Agents, publishers, etc.
If you haven't gotten a nibble in a year, publish it yourself.

Your worries about giving away your stuff for nothing, if you examine them...
Once the book is published it can be passed around, put in libraries. People can make copies and mil them to friends, put stuff on websites, etc.

The way you do something like that is come out big and hard with a great title, a dyanmic book with appeal byind the "secret info" thing, and have it all over the place for sale at once.

Good luck
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
dofooty

PostSubject: Re: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 1:06 am

Thanks everyone for suggestions so far. Lin has hit the nail on the head with the "come out big and hard" idea - exactly as I was thinking and planning. I plan a promotional website with premium content, a secondary book(s), and software sales of the betting application I use. In short I'll be turning this into more of a business that just a book.

I'm now attempting to contact the authors to gauge expected sales. As mentioned earlier, my concern is achieving only limited sales, in which case my ideas would be in the public domain for zilch. I can't risk that. I was hoping that the book would be the same ilk as Nassim Taleb's "Folled by Randomness" / "The Black Swan", but the initially the most similar would be the aforementioned books.

I shall let you know how I get on!

As an aside, is there generally no way of getting book sales information? Nielsen appear to be the only supplies of such data but are seemingly unwilling to release this outside of the publisher/retailer trade. Do any individual have access?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 2:08 am

I'll bet if there was a way you would have found it by now.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
dofooty

PostSubject: Re: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 2:27 am

Strangely, you don't seem the gambling sort.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 2:43 am

I am not tough enough. I remember going to Ayr Racecourse many years ago. I bet against my father (George). One of the horses was "Father George" and he placed a bet out of character fron his normal form researching self. I had taken a fancy to "Molly's Girl" as she walked around the paddock. I checked the listing and saw that she was from a local stable and placed a bet. It was a photo-finish, but I knew my horse had won before the result was announced. I was jumping up and down and my parents thought I was loopy. They thought I had backed the losing "Father George" but I hadn't!

I collected fourteen pounds from the win and I was ecstatic -- until the event was over and I stood in the bar waiting for my mother who needed to visit the ladies before the drive back to Glasgow. As I waited, I spotted a young couple with a baby in a pushchair. The young man was ashen. I've never seen such a pathetic couple. It tore at my heart. I wanted to give him my winnings but I knew that was no solution. It ruined my day. I've never placed a bet since.

Back to top Go down
dofooty

PostSubject: Re: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 2:59 am

A good decision. Betting for a a horse to win for no other reason than its name is a quick way to the poorhouse, and demonstrates a clear ingorance of probability and risk control. Your proficiency in poetic prose has prevented a life of poverty.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 4:12 am

I placed my bet because Molly's Girl was the best turned out horse in the paddock and she was from a local stable.

The ashen young man had probably lost a month's salary and my winnings would have been scant compensation. It's hard to enjoy spending unearned money knowing that the money was someone else's hard-earned cash. Money that could be spent on children, not frittered away on a racecourse.

Back to top Go down
dofooty

PostSubject: Re: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 4:51 am

Shelagh wrote:
I placed my bet because Molly's Girl was the best turned out horse in the paddock and she was from a local stable.
Spoken like a true "professional".

Shelagh wrote:
The ashen young man had probably lost a month's salary and my winnings would have been scant compensation. It's hard to enjoy spending unearned money knowing that the money was someone else's hard-earned cash. Money that could be spent on children, not frittered away on a racecourse.
I knew there was a moral in the story somewhere. And, presumably, chocolate should be banned because it leads to obesity?

I know when I'm not wanted, so I shall bid you all farewell. Thanks for the advice, and best of luck in your writing.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 6:36 am

Horses? Never trust a horse. I had the best deal in the world when I worked for Pinkerton's and had an undercover job with the goal of placing bets on horses. I could keep whatever I won and the agency would reimburse me for my losses. Eight men had tried before me and failed but I managed to find a way to place the bets for three days running. Running, or walking, is something the nags I bet on are still doing because I never made a cent.

Lin handed out some great advice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 7:06 am

My grandfather held a patent on a racecourse totalizer that totaled the odds on the horses, but I never knew him to go to the racetrack. He probably had to in order to do research for his invention.

I am not a gambler either, of horses, or slot machines. I used to have a little contest with my husband each week as to which footbabll teams would win. If more of my teams won, he'd make dinner, and if more of his teams won, I'd serve him breakfast in bed. I didn't know much about football, but would look to see which teams had team spirit. We each won half the time.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 7:48 am

My old man always said, "I don't bet on horses because horses don't bet on people and I don't want to be stupider than a horse."

My brother, on the other hand, makes well over a thousand a month betting on football. Apparently this doesn't make him feel stupider than football players.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
dofooty

PostSubject: Re: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics EmptyWed Feb 04, 2009 8:47 am

It turns out that Nielsen do sell this information to private clients. I've just paid £150 for the statistics on the two books. If anyone else ever needs this info, then Nielsen are the people to ask.

For my own project the results are very deflating. These were two of the better selling books (by all accounts), but not even these reached double-digit K's. So the idea is shelved, for now.

Many thanks to all who assisted.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics EmptyWed Feb 04, 2009 10:18 am

Thanks for the information! On a positive note, there is still a market out there if you can tap it and the competition for the book you had in mind isn't that great.

Back to top Go down
BeenTher

PostSubject: Neilsen Ratings   Book sales statistics EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 7:23 pm

I worked for the Neilsen ratings for years. We are not allowed to tell you the information we gather, since it goes straight to computers and then is spit out straight to the source who is paying for it; publishers, advertisers, etc.

However, go to the Neilsen website, with some hunting you should be able to find what information is required to be public, posted there. But don't get your hopes up. Perhaps your better inside source would be to go to a Borders or some other retail chain. Their numbers are much more accessible.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 2:48 pm

This is the second most viewed thread on the forum so I'm bumping it to make it easy for visitors to find.

Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 3:05 pm

Thanks, Shelagh. It was good to hear from some old friends. Loved reading Dick's horse story again.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book sales statistics   Book sales statistics Empty

Back to top Go down

Book sales statistics
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Information-
Jump to: