Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

ABE

Go down 
AuthorMessage
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 15659
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: ABE   Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:36 am

I hope Abe is okay.
Has anyone heard from him? I will check
facebook
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 12525
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: ABE   Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:50 am

Abe is fine, Alice. He responded to Betty today on facebook.

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©Shelagh Watkins 2017
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: ABE   Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:29 pm

Thanks, Sheglah.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: ABE   Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:08 pm

I wonder what Abe would like to talk about. In the past he has been great about arranging reunions--it is high time we had one now.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10620
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: ABE   Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:37 am

Thoughts about things - words and meanings.
There was a post on FB with information about the universe, the planets and the galaxies.  It is mind-blowing to try and comprehend an endless universe – still expanding.  When viewed as shown on the video, the earth is a small planet among many.  Some think of earth as the whole world.  The unit of measure used for computing distance is in the form of Light years. 
 A Light year is a unit of astronomical distance equivalent to the distance that light travels in one earth year, which is 9.4607 × 1012 km (nearly 6 million million miles).  
It made me wonder if there is a measurement using darkness or dark energy.  According to my search: "Can you measure dark energy?" I got the following: 
Assuming that the standard model of cosmology is correct, the best current measurements indicate that dark energy contributes 68.3% of the total energy in the present-day observable universe. ... However, it dominates the mass–energy of the universe because it is uniform across space.
This information, although interesting, did little to help me comprehend the vastness of the universe.  I find it difficult to understand/comprehend the meaning of many words used in the English language.  Why, for example, does one use the word “Kidnapping” to describe someone abducted?  Are only kids abducted?  How would one describe an adult being abducted instead of a child?  I assume that common usage makes the reference clear.  It does tend to explain the difficulty people have in learning a new language – especially English. Common usage can alter the meaning of words in dialect.  In the US, people in the south have expressions not used in the north.  Being born and raised in Pennsylvania, I am familiar with tell-tale expressions common to Pennsylvania.  Accents can also be a sign of locality/region of origin.
Why did I make this post?  Most likely it is the ramblings of someone getting old.  I question most things wanting to know “why”.   Perhaps it is the writer in me that make the words people use important.  Perhaps it is simple curiosity.  I think that I am past the stage of wondering: Why am I here?  Where am I going? What will the future bring?  I realize that I am were I am based on decisions I made during my lifetime.  I also realize that regretting won’t change anything and that it is a useless thought.  Current events contribute to uncertainty. 
Thanks for listening.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 12525
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: ABE   Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:11 am

European languages are based on Latin and Greek. Anything ending in "um" and "us" is Latin and "ology" is Greek in origin. The British Isles have been conquered many times by Europeans: Romans, Vikings, Saxons, Germans, Dutch, French, Normans. During the periods of occupation, the monks in the monasteries wrote and prayed in Latin. Up to Elizabeth I's reign, the royal courts spoke Latin and French. The common folk spoke English, a language that was proliferated with German, Scandinavian, Dutch and French words. Elizabeth was a great supporter of the Arts and was the first monarch to use the English language, which had been popularised by William Shakespeare,  who added 1,700 words to the English language. There are five times as many words in English than there are in French. This vocabulary rich language has become the world's international language for finance & commerce as well as the navy and armed services. 

The kid in kidnapping is of germanic origin and means the young of a goat. "Napper" is slang for thief. The word kidnap was used to describe the abduction of children as slaves in the New World.

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©Shelagh Watkins 2017
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: ABE   Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Goon information, Shelagh.  I assume my post alerted Alice that I am still alive and kicking. 
As for words and language, I'm still learning, although a bit slower.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: ABE   Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:54 pm

Abe F. March wrote:
Goon information, Shelagh.  I assume my post alerted Alice that I am still alive and kicking. 
As for words and language, I'm still learning, although a bit slower.

Glad you are okay, Abe.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: ABE   Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:34 am

Thanks Alice, your concern is noteworthy.  You are a caring person.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ABE   

Back to top Go down

ABE
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: