Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

ABE

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

ABE Empty
PostSubject: ABE   ABE EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 11:36 am

I hope Abe is okay.
Has anyone heard from him? I will check
facebook
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

ABE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABE   ABE EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 11:50 am

Abe is fine, Alice. He responded to Betty today on facebook.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

ABE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABE   ABE EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 12:29 pm

Thanks, Sheglah.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

ABE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABE   ABE EmptyFri Oct 12, 2018 9:08 pm

I wonder what Abe would like to talk about. In the past he has been great about arranging reunions--it is high time we had one now.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

ABE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABE   ABE EmptySat Oct 13, 2018 7:37 am

Thoughts about things - words and meanings.
There was a post on FB with information about the universe, the planets and the galaxies.  It is mind-blowing to try and comprehend an endless universe – still expanding.  When viewed as shown on the video, the earth is a small planet among many.  Some think of earth as the whole world.  The unit of measure used for computing distance is in the form of Light years. 
 A Light year is a unit of astronomical distance equivalent to the distance that light travels in one earth year, which is 9.4607 × 1012 km (nearly 6 million million miles).  
It made me wonder if there is a measurement using darkness or dark energy.  According to my search: "Can you measure dark energy?" I got the following: 
Assuming that the standard model of cosmology is correct, the best current measurements indicate that dark energy contributes 68.3% of the total energy in the present-day observable universe. ... However, it dominates the mass–energy of the universe because it is uniform across space.
This information, although interesting, did little to help me comprehend the vastness of the universe.  I find it difficult to understand/comprehend the meaning of many words used in the English language.  Why, for example, does one use the word “Kidnapping” to describe someone abducted?  Are only kids abducted?  How would one describe an adult being abducted instead of a child?  I assume that common usage makes the reference clear.  It does tend to explain the difficulty people have in learning a new language – especially English. Common usage can alter the meaning of words in dialect.  In the US, people in the south have expressions not used in the north.  Being born and raised in Pennsylvania, I am familiar with tell-tale expressions common to Pennsylvania.  Accents can also be a sign of locality/region of origin.
Why did I make this post?  Most likely it is the ramblings of someone getting old.  I question most things wanting to know “why”.   Perhaps it is the writer in me that make the words people use important.  Perhaps it is simple curiosity.  I think that I am past the stage of wondering: Why am I here?  Where am I going? What will the future bring?  I realize that I am were I am based on decisions I made during my lifetime.  I also realize that regretting won’t change anything and that it is a useless thought.  Current events contribute to uncertainty. 
Thanks for listening.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

ABE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABE   ABE EmptySat Oct 13, 2018 11:11 am

European languages are based on Latin and Greek. Anything ending in "um" and "us" is Latin and "ology" is Greek in origin. The British Isles have been conquered many times by Europeans: Romans, Vikings, Saxons, Germans, Dutch, French, Normans. During the periods of occupation, the monks in the monasteries wrote and prayed in Latin. Up to Elizabeth I's reign, the royal courts spoke Latin and French. The common folk spoke English, a language that was proliferated with German, Scandinavian, Dutch and French words. Elizabeth was a great supporter of the Arts and was the first monarch to use the English language, which had been popularised by William Shakespeare,  who added 1,700 words to the English language. There are five times as many words in English than there are in French. This vocabulary rich language has become the world's international language for finance & commerce as well as the navy and armed services. 

The kid in kidnapping is of germanic origin and means the young of a goat. "Napper" is slang for thief. The word kidnap was used to describe the abduction of children as slaves in the New World.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

ABE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABE   ABE EmptySat Oct 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Goon information, Shelagh.  I assume my post alerted Alice that I am still alive and kicking. 
As for words and language, I'm still learning, although a bit slower.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

ABE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABE   ABE EmptySat Oct 13, 2018 4:54 pm

Abe F. March wrote:
Good information, Shelagh.  I assume my post alerted Alice that I am still alive and kicking. 
As for words and language, I'm still learning, although a bit slower.

Glad you are okay,  Abe.

Last edited by alice on Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

ABE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABE   ABE EmptySun Oct 14, 2018 1:34 am

Thanks Alice, your concern is noteworthy.  You are a caring person.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

ABE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABE   ABE EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 10:26 am

Abe F. March wrote:
Thanks Alice, your concern is noteworthy.  You are a caring person.

Hope so, Abe.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

ABE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABE   ABE EmptyThu Nov 01, 2018 11:45 am

My iphone has kept me very busy. I can see now why old folks get trapped in them.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

ABE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABE   ABE EmptyThu Nov 01, 2018 1:40 pm

There was a program on German TV today about electronic devices and appliances.  A research firm did a survey and analysis about the life of these devices.  It appears that the manufactures build-in an obsolescence factor that coincides with the warranty.  In many situations people complained that within a month or so after the warranty expired, the product went kaput.  Repair on these items are hindered with difficulties for any repair person, i.e.  some motors are incased in a sealed manner that makes it difficult to open.  The same applies to solid-state chips making repair difficult.  The manufactures expect the consumer to purchase a new product that costs slightly more than the cost of repair.  This report was tied into the “throw-away” problem filling garbage dumps.  Although recycling is an on-going effort, there are some items, such as electronic devices, that cannot be recycled.  This is especially true with refrigeration appliances that require special handling for disposal.  I-pads, I-phones were mentioned as a major throw-away items since people want the latest technology and simply throw away their old device.  There has been much attention to the problem of plastics in our waterways and garbage dumps in areas/countries where re-cycling is not used.  In our area, plastic bags are seldom used in grocery stores encouraging the customer to bring their own cloth or paper bag.  These bags are available for purchase at a reasonable cost for those who forgot to bring their own.  Attention to our environment is a concern to us all, or should be.  We are fighting air pollution and poisons being spread on crops all of which in some form enter the food chain.  Sickness is on the rise from the things we consume, the water we drink and the air we breathe.  Scientists continue to warn us, however there are still those who ignore these warnings and continue to pollute.  There is no Planet B as yet discovered that will sustain life.  If or when such a planet is discovered I expect humans will bring with them a variety of diseases that will begin its decline.  
I read a funny post on FB saying that young people today don’t realize how good they have it.  In our day one had to walk nine feet across a shag carpet to reach the TV.  Actually, in my day when I was young we didn’t have a TV.  The carpets on the floor were handwoven.  We picked-up these carpets and hung them on the line to beat the dirt and dust out of them since we didn’t have a vacuum cleaner.  We got on our hands and knees to wash the wooden floor.  Later mops were invented that made it easier to clean.   Electrical devices were rare except for lighting.  I also remember the use of oil lamps for light when the electricity failed – and that happened often.  As I recall, I was about 15 years of age before we got a telephone and that was on a party line.  One had to check to see if the line was in use before making a call.  My uncle had a crank phone.  It was a phone attached to the wall with a handle to crank that would alert the telephone operator that one wanted to make a call.  The operator placed the call. 
We enjoy the latest technology.  The question seldom asked is: “Do we need it or simply want it?”  There are still those who cannot afford the latest technology and they find ways to compensate.  They are better prepared for disaster knowing how to improvise.  I also remember my first attempt at writing using a lead pencil with eraser as we used in school.  Typewriters came into vogue with a keyboard that required punching down hard on the keys against a red and white cloth ribbon.  Making a mistake was a problem and they soon came up with erasers for the type and later a “whiteout” to place over the error and retype over it.  My daughter Christine visited us yesterday and stayed overnight.  We discussed the report stated above.  It reminded me that I have an old typewriter in the attic that I acquired from someone moving and didn’t want to take it with them.  It was produced around 1900 in Germany, has a heavy cast-iron frame, but still works.  I intend to look for a museum and see if they want it.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

ABE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABE   ABE EmptyThu Nov 01, 2018 3:33 pm

Young people today don't appreciate old people. They are unaware that the gadgets they cannot live without were developed by the older generation, as was the Internet. The world they were born into was set up by previous generations, but young people think that old folks have no value. Without these old folks, their lives would be very different.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

ABE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABE   ABE EmptyThu Nov 01, 2018 11:26 pm

Agree Shelagh.  My children feel fortunate to have lived through some of the hard times we faced in our travels.  Living in a foreign country was a learning experience giving them a reference for comparison.  We are amazed at the things they talk about when we are together.  They found the good in those difficult situations.  Christine became adept at haggling with street vendors with their fruit and vegetable wagons.  Caroline, the youngest, tried to imitate the beggars in the street much to the chagrin of her mother.  Duane went door-to-door peddling cosmetics when I had my cosmetic business in Lebanon.  It appears that they thought this young American kid needed help and they bought from him.  He was my top retailer in more than one occasion.  Children are not as fearful of rejection as adults and they learn how to deal with it.  They found fun and excitement when the power went off and candles were used.  Water from the tap could not be used as drinking water requiring a fluid (Clorox) to mix with boiled water for sterilization.  They learned to accept and assimilate into the cultures of the countries where we lived that serves them well in today’s multi-cultural environment.  They learned how to save and make do with what they had.  When my grandchildren ask questions about the old days, I am delighted.  I regret not having the insight to ask my grandparents about things that were lost in my genealogy research.  I encouraged Hermann Frech to write about his experiences during the war and he did.  His memoir about those days was published by Shelagh in “Hermann Frech – On the Way to Siberia.”  I’m reading again books by Don Stephens.  I’m amazed at his insights concerning the characters he used with travels to various countries.  I would like to know where he got his information, what research did he use to gain these authentic sounding insights.  The point I’m trying to make is that there remains much that can be learned from older people while they are still alive whose life experiences are genuine.  My daughter Christine works as a nurse at an “Old Folks Home”.   One of her assignments is to gain background information on the patients in order to help with their treatment.  She is a good listener and is able to elicit information from some of these old people that have harbored bad memories affecting their lives.  Much of the information has to do with the war years, the struggle to survive, the loss of husband/wife and children, etc.  Long-held traumatic experiences that are shared by speaking about them is a positive step in gaining closure, leading to a cure or dying without holding onto regrets.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

ABE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABE   ABE EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 1:55 pm

Abe, What have you found out about Don Stephens by reading his books? Domenic became so angry at me, he left the forum becaus I would not denounce Don. I still say I was not his judge, jury or hang man.

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

ABE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABE   ABE EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 3:02 pm

Reading his books gave me much insight about the man and I hold him in high esteem.  His books are full of drama and I once called him the master of suspense.  I still do.  The subject matter in his books deal with danger and death.  His characters that killed did so either in self-defense and/or with moral issues.  Death was nothing to fear and his characters were prepared to die for a just cause.  Trying to equate that with his own death and the killing of his wife is still a puzzle and yet it is something I believe he would do with his own justification.  The mind-set of someone about to commit a crime that goes against society norms or law has consequences.  Committing suicide, IMV, was paying the ultimate price for his actions.  He was a great writer.  He was obviously troubled and I associate some of that with his military experience with near death experiences and by taking the lives of the enemy at the request or order of his superiors, was not something easily forgotten.  Were his actions a method to erase the guilt he may have felt?  Was killing his wife an act of compassion?  We can only speculate or guess.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

ABE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABE   ABE EmptySat Nov 03, 2018 2:06 pm

I agree, Abe. I liked him.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

ABE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABE   ABE EmptyThu Nov 15, 2018 1:00 pm

A frog and a turtle had a quarrel one day. 
The frog told the turtle in a boastful way,
I’ll race you in a swim to see who wins,
agreed said the turtle, and they jumped right in.
They both hit the water with an awful crash,
the frog went pluck, and the turtle went splash.
I never did believe it, but the creek folk say,
They heard the water splashing 20 miles away.

My mother recited this when I was a child.  Today something triggered that memory.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

ABE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABE   ABE EmptyMon Nov 26, 2018 11:41 am

Your mother left you with a great memory. I like it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ABE Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABE   ABE Empty

Back to top Go down

ABE
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: