Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

The March's

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10620
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: The March's   Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:28 am

A day in the life of the March’s.  Harvesting is ongoing, and it must be the year of the tomato as we have an abundance.  What we can’t immediately eat we are placing in the freezer.  In addition to that, we’re sharing the excess with neighbors.  The problem is that when you give something, people feel the need to give something back.  I personally don’t like it when they do that.  A gift without expecting anything in return is best.
We went grocery shopping at ALDI yesterday.  Gisela uses a wooden cane that we acquired some years ago.  I attached a rubber shoe at the end to prevent slipping.  When I saw that Aldi had canes “Aluminum Gehstock” I decides to buy one. It was lightweight and had the rubber sole attached. Gisela is always asking “where is my cane?”  She tends to hook it over the back of a chair, on the counter top, leaves it in the bathroom or the bedroom and forgets where she had it last.  The cane on display was made of aluminum and adjustable, so I bought it.  When we got home I gave her the instructions to read that accompanied the cane. She broke out laughing and couldn’t stop long enough to explain why she was laughing.  When she finally caught her breath she read, “Verwenden Sie den stock nicht als Schlagstock” (Don’t use the cane as something to hit with) And I had to add, unless necessary.  We’re still laughing at the thought of using the cane as a weapon.  Now that she has two, at least one will hopefully, be easier to locate.  We will give it a trial run tomorrow when we go to the farmer’s market. Our garden salad is finished so that buying a few heads of lettuce and some radishes is a good addition.  We are still harvesting cucumbers and zucchini that are eaten promptly. We were hoping for rain that was forecasted, however we got strong winds instead knocking the apples from the trees.  Fortunately, I had already picked the pears.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10620
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The March's   Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:59 pm

Had my back examined by an Orthopedic surgeon today.  The pain in my lower back was getting worse.  Pain injections and pain medication was just temporary relief.  Unfortunately, there are always those who claim to know what’s best for someone else advising exercise, etc.  They don’t.  In my discussion with the doctor I told him about my ruptured disk and operation in the year 2000 where an Orthopedic surgeon together with a Neurologist performed the operation.  I was losing feeling in my right leg and thus required immediate attention.  The doctor today wanted to know more so I relayed to him the story of my boat accident when I was sixteen years of age on the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania.  I was run over by a boat and the propeller hit my back.  I was told at that time that the blades missed my spine by ¼ inch.  The muscles supporting the spine most likely were not sewn back properly thus causing a weakness in the spine.  The X-ray showed where pieces of the disk had been removed leaving a gap.  The gel that cushions the vertebra lacked fluid and that they were rubbing together causing the pain.  In addition, he noted arthritis saying that it was a normal thing with aging.  He gave me two shots directly in the spine area, painful to be sure, and prescribed some pain medication to be used if and when needed.  Further, he gave me a transfer slip for therapy.  When I got home I reflected on the accident the many years ago.  The doctor at that time suggested that we sue the driver of the boat, predicting that I may have future problems, however my mother said, “Christians don’t sue”.  (Times have changed)
Anyway, to continue the story I won’t go into detail about the accident happened, however there was a segment that sticks with me.  When I was brought across the river and laid on a blanket while my friend yelled for someone to call an ambulance, my senses were alert.  One man said, “I wouldn’t give two cents for his life”.  Another said, “He’ll never make it to the hospital.”  When the ambulance arrived, I was placed on a gurney in the ambulance.  It started moving with the siren blaring.  My head was turned to the window giving me a view of the outside.  Believing that I was going to die, I recall thinking about the beautiful green trees and the meadows passing by the window that I would never see again.   I truly believed that it was the end.  Since that time, whenever there is an accident, I have tried to keep people away from the injured, except of course for the first aid personnel.  People talk without thinking that their voices can be heard and how it affects the injured person. Accidents do attract crowds.   
I feel better today just knowing what to do and what not to do.  Thanks for listening.
Back to top Go down

The March's
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: