Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Events and attitude

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Events and attitude - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2019 3:41 pm

Late this evening, Parliament passed a law to force Mrs. May to ask for an extension for a period of MP's choosing. Earlier today, a group of Tory MPs met with the Prime Minister and asked her to step down. They explained that this weekend had seen a rebellion from grassroots Tory members that was damaging the party. Mrs. May sat stony faced throughout and showed no willingness to agree to the request. She has suffered the biggest defeat in UK political history, been found in contempt of parliament, been forced to allow parliament to set the business of the day in the House of Commons, and is a liability to her party. But she won't go.
The UK is not showing any signs of additional stress or strain from Brexit, but is showing a great deal of concern because of knife crime and the detrimental effects of the Internet among young people. Conversely, our government is in complete disarray and parliament is totally chaotic. Normality has been replaced by abnormality and no one knows what will happen next. Those who wish to overturn the referendum think that everything will settle down if Article 50 is revoked and the UK remains in the EU. Since nothing will change to make peolple's lives better if we remain, the discontent among voters who were denied their democratic rights will fester and grow. Just as knife crime on our streets has increased, so too will violent demonstrations. The political classes don't care. We live in turbulent times.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 08, 2019 11:09 pm

Thank you for the summary of the “chaos” you described.  From the outside looking in, that is the sense one gets.  It is difficult to understand how the PM can expect to be taken seriously in Brussels when she doesn’t have the full support of her own government.  Getting an extension to the deadline this week, if achieved, won’t change the problems she faces at home.  Instead of flexibility, I suspect that the lines already drawn will be hardened.    The impression I get from news sources and from people on the street is one of confusion.  Expressions such as “If they don’t want to belong, let them go.”  “We need a united Europe and the UK is a strategic partner.” Then there is the confusion and concern about trade.  Will products produced (spare parts) in the UK be hindered and affect assembly production?  Will needed pharmaceuticals produced in the UK be available – the concern my wife has with her special prescription drugs?  As is usual, when one is personally affected, the situation becomes more important and affects public opinion. 
While the drama plays out in the UK, the US is having its own drama with Trump and his policies that affect a wide-range of concerns including the environment, trade (tariffs) and immigration.  The upcoming elections will be interesting to be sure.     
I am encouraged by the young people who are stepping up and making their voices heard.  Demonstrations throughout Europe are getting attention.  President Obama made an appearance in Berlin to a group of young people providing encouragement.  One comment he made left a strong impression.  “Don’t let your grandparents decide what future you will have.”
I predict that the young voter will have an impact on the next election.  Integrity is an important part of their mindset.  There is hope for the future.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2019 4:08 am

As a grandparent, you should know that it is the groundwork set by our elders that determines our future. Obama listens to, and is greatly influenced by, his daughters. Yes, they are the future, but there is a tendency to regression when young people are allowed to reinvent the wheel in order to learn about things that are already known.

Liberals think of themselves as progressive, when many of the things they do simply break conventional wisdow and prove to be regressive. Abortion used to be a choice of last resort, now it is used as a means of family planning, where new life is destroyed at whim. One in three marriages end in divorce. Marriage is for everyone not just a husband and a wife. Men dress as women and think they are women, just as women dressed as men think they are men. Intersex athletes with a known medical condition that makes them neither strictly male nor female want to compete as female athletes, which could lead to women's sports being dominated by men. These few examples I have given are but the tip of the iceberg, as society changes itself in ways that previous generations fought to prevent.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2019 7:57 am

I obviously touched a raw nerve.  I consider myself a liberal with qualification.  Critical thinking is part of my liberal beliefs.  Traditional indoctrination was taught in the home.  Some of that indoctrination included religion that was to be accepted without question instilling fear of damnation (hell) for deviating from the established dogma.  Traditional values of integrity defined one’s character.  I don’t think that there is any definition/label that embrace both conservative and liberal thinking.  We are all unique.  Our opinions are formed from experience and exposure. We tend to gravitate to people of like-minds.  The cliché, “birds of a feather flock together” seems valid.  Learning is a never-ending pursuit.  We are constantly challenged with innovations that can be frustrating as well as enlightening.   Technological advances have changed the way we live and how we interact with others.  I miss the one-on-one interaction.  Input without the visual body language or the ability to clarify statements as they occur can cause misunderstanding and resentments.  Religion and politics continue to create problems even within the family unit.  Refusing to discuss sensitive subjects will not make them disappear.  There was no such thing as being “politically correct” in the days of my youth.  Acting or reacting based on one’s emotions was honest.  Today one can be criticized by touching another person “inappropriately”.  It is my nature to touch a person when speaking or interacting with them.  It may be a touch on the arm or the shoulder and/or a pat on the back.  There is an energy flow with the touch that words cannot express.  The expression of love doesn’t always have a sexual connotation.   We are imperfect people with emotions and sensitivities.  Feeling the need to be right in our opinions or judgements is a human malady.  I admire the person who can say, “I was wrong or I made a mistake”.  These are people one can forgive.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2019 4:40 pm

Extension agreed 'til October 31st. Tory grassroots looking for 10,000 signatures on a petition that will allow the Tory Party to change its rule about votes of no confidence in the Prime Minister. At the moment, Mrs. May cannot be challenged until December this year. Local council elections on May 2nd will see a big drop in Tory controlled councils if May is not ousted by then. Everyone is exhausted with Brexit and would have preferred to leave on Friday without a deal. The EU wants to keep the UK in the EU, but only on its terms, which is a red rag to a bull as far as leave voters are concerned.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2019 11:31 pm

The mess has been extended to October 31st.   It appears that the mess is within the UK government and not with Brussels.  It is the consensus of the media that Brussels has accommodated the PM in her quest for support within her government, however patience is wearing thin.   If the PM’s attitude is,” my way or no way” without compromise, no extension will solve the problem.  Patricia May has consulted with Macron of France and Merkel of Germany for extension support.  It appears that they helped with that extension, however the problem remains with the UK government.
Yesterday, my wife said: “I want to wake up one morning and not hear the name Trump or Netanyahu, nor do I want to hear the word BREXIT”.   It has become exasperating listening to the same shit day after day.  All three things mentioned above have, or will have, an effect on the lives of many.   In my view, Netanyahu wants war. Annexing more territory is setting the stage.  Trump is playing into this scenario, even supporting these aggressive and illegal actions.  Brexit is affecting markets along with political ramifications yet to be determined.  Speculation is running rampant further disrupting business as usual. 
In the meanwhile, we are concerned with out daily lives.  Will climate change affect the food chain?  Will we have life-sustaining resources? Will we wake up tomorrow?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 13, 2019 8:06 am

I don't know if Theresa May will still be leader by October 31st. The country is in trouble if she is. She has no plan B to take the UK out of the EU. The Prime Minister is supposed to lead the way, but apart from the Chequers white paper, she has no plan. The country is at ease with leaving, but the politicians are in complete disarray.
The next month should define what happens over the following five months. At the moment no one has any idea what will happen next.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 13, 2019 8:45 am

I believe that you have a good grasp on the situation.  Thanks for the update.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2019 1:54 pm

Nothing much to report here. Students are becoming more engaged with climate change than Brexit. I think they have little appetite or grasp of the consequences of leaving the EU, which would require a lot of reading on their part. Climate change is well-covered in schools throughout the country, so no thought processes involved; they can protest without having to make much intellectual effort.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 5:13 pm

Talking about climate change:

Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2019 5:01 am

Today, Theresa May will be asked to resign. We live in unprecedented times. The government is led by a remain prime minister, who is clinging on with the determination of a zealot. The country is desperate for a change of direction that Mrs. May is unwilling to take. She has no plan B. The framework for a deal is being argued over with Labour to no real purpose; it is the Withdrawal Agreement that she is trying to ram through parliament. She is willing to step aside, allowing a new leader and cabinet to negotiate the trade deal. She knows full well that there will be only one trade deal on the table once the Withdrawal Agreement is signed and legally binding, tying the hands of future negotiators.

Like many others who voted to leave, I turn off the television at the sound of her voice, which grates like sand on glass. One by one, everything she said has been reversed: the UK will leave on March 29th; there will be no long extension; there will be no participation in the EP elections. The next reversal will be a second referendum, where she will force the electorate to vote for the Withdrawal Agreement that has been defeated three times in parliament. Never has there been such despondency among the electorate.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2019 12:14 pm

We are living in strange times.  They may be considered unprecedented, weird, yet serious. 
Agreements are only as good as the people who honor them.  Integrity is becoming a rarity.  Can one trust the word of a politician or even a leader representing his/her government?  Will they change their views for political expediency?  Looking at the character of a person can be revealing.  We have politicians with multiple marriages that tells us that their vows meant little.  Business as usual can mean that anything goes, so long as one wins.  We are witnessing methods used by unscrupulous people, like Trump in his so-called winning.  Not paying the contractors employed to build his business while skimming profits, placing the money in off-shore accounts and then bankrupting the company thus sticking the vendors is considered smart business and legal.  Cancelling agreements like the Paris accord and the Iran deal. How can anyone believe in any agreement reached by such a person? Does the leader have the backing of his/her government in deals they make?  Unfortunately, the citizens of a country are perceived to be like their leader. Changing the leaders is necessary, but easier said than done.  Voting is no guarantee that the votes are valid.  Social media and political propaganda from foreign sources to influence elections are a reality. Although one can try to ignore what happens in another country, failure to understand that we are a world community requires critical thinking.  Climate change is a world concern with no geographical boundaries. Agreements made affecting trade has international repercussions.  My wife said the other day, “I would like to turn on the TV and not hear the name Trump or the word Brexit”.   Attitudes change much like the weather.  Depression is more common than previously experienced -   uncertainty being a major factor.   Perceptions, real or imagined, become truth.  Repetition of lies become truth to many.  There is no magic wand or reset button to affect change.  Our future is teetering on the brink, IMV.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2019 2:37 pm

Donald Trump has been invited to the UK on a state visit, and not everyone is happy about it. The decision is strictly political: a diversionary tactic to take the heat off Theresa May. Instead of Brexit, tomorrow's papers will be full of reasons why Trump should not be granted a state visit. It will also be used to prop up the government's assertion that it will be possible to set up a trade deal with the US.

People are very jaded with politics. Politicians have their own agenda after tney are elected, which is the ugly face of representative politics.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2019 10:48 pm

Good analysis, Shelagh. Diversion is the tactic; however critical thinkers recognize it.  The carrot offered - better trade with the US fails to consider what that means with Trump. He has no credibility. He wants recognition to satisfy his Ego-driven personality.  I believe that he envisions riding in a royal carriage using the Queen as a prop.  I hope that the people of Great Britain will deny him the spotlight.  I have the impression that the people of GB are fed up with their government and will take action. I have hope that the American people will do likewise.  “A Little Rebellion Now and Then Is A Good Thing” was said in a Letter from Thomas Jefferson to James Madison.  It may be that desperate times calls for desperate measures.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2019 10:47 am

The Tory party is in a real mess. They allowed Mrs. May to extend the leaving date twice. She has no alternative to fall back on. Nothing will happen between now and the end of October. Tory voters are unhappy and feel that the UK should already have left; they won't be voting for Conservative MEPs, and they want a new leader as soon as possible. The newly formed Brexit party is attracting all the disaffected Tory voters. 

Theresa May is blaming everyone around her for the impasse she has created. The government looks inept, out of touch and devoid of any semblance of being in control. Instead of strong and stable, Mrs. May looks weak and vulnerable. Predicting what might happen next is increasingly difficult because the government has quite literally torn up the rule book.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptyWed May 01, 2019 12:26 pm

Theresa May not answering the questions:

Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptyThu May 23, 2019 7:12 am

Mrs. May is on her way out. Should know more tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptyFri May 24, 2019 9:41 am

She's gone! Whoo-hoo! Now to find a new leader and leave the EU asap.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptyWed May 29, 2019 9:08 am

Interesting times in UK politics. Both major parties are trying to work out how to regain lost voters without changing their political stance! The electorate knows exactly what it wants, but the politicians are in complete disarray. The media are putting so much spin on the present political situation, none of it makes any sense and is almost laughable. MPs are desperate to prove that the whole of civilisation will collapse if the UK leaves without a deal, but leave voters are having none of it.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptyWed May 29, 2019 11:16 am

It has been a frustrating past few days.  My old printer no longer worked, so I ordered a new one via Amazon.  The accompanying disk with the new printer was not a setup disk and referred me to the Epson website for installation instructions.  That site was blocked by Firefox.  I finally got Duane to check it out and he gave me a web address to use.  I finally got the printer up and running so that I can copy and print, however the scan capability is not functioning.  The aggravation dealing with these electronic things had me unnerved – to say the least.  On top of that, the news with Brexit is an on-going political battle in the UK while in the US Trump continues to do his dirty deeds. 
We had a few warm days and then it turned cool again.  That is supposed to change soon.  The climate has definitely changed.  In keeping with that theme, I wrote some lyrics that I would like Gunter, Christine’s husband, to put to music.  Christine to do the singing, of course.  The draft of my lyrics follow:

“Climate change is happening – it’s happening now.
(repeat) Climate change is happening, it’s happening now.
The seas are rising, there’s no denying,
Climate change is happening, it’s happening now.
Greta Thunberg, the young Swede, took the lead
Inspiring the youth against ignorance and greed. 
Wake up, wake up to reality
The future for all is plain to see. 
Wake up, wake up to reality.
Saving our world has priority.
Hear the bees buzzing and the birds a-singing,
Preserve our world as it ought to be,
Wake up, wake up to reality.”

Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptyWed May 29, 2019 4:13 pm

The remainers are in a quandry, as is the Green Party, over climate change. They want to remain in the EU so that we can continue to import food from the EU that we could grow ourselves. Locally grown produce used to provide communities at a low cost in carbon footprint. My brother, forced out of business eighteen years ago, was a grower for more than twenty years. My aunt and uncle were growers for over forty years, but their business has now gone. My father owned a farm that sold its milk quota twenty-odd years ago. This happened all over the country, and now the UK imports all of its lettuce from the Netherlands at enormous carbon footprint cost. Yes, the lettuce is cheaper, but the cost to the environment is much greater.

What do I think? We should leave the EU, grow our own food, reduce the number of trucks rolling across our countryside, and reduce the carbon footprint. Will the remainers be happy? You can bet your life they won't!
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptyWed May 29, 2019 10:40 pm

Shelagh wrote:
The remainers are in a quandry, as is the Green Party, over climate change. They want to remain in the EU so that we can continue to import food from the EU that we could grow ourselves. Locally grown produce used to provide communities at a low cost in carbon footprint. My brother, forced out of business eighteen years ago, was a grower for more than twenty years. My aunt and uncle were growers for over forty years, but their business has now gone. My father owned a farm that sold its milk quota twenty-odd years ago. This happened all over the country, and now the UK imports all of its lettuce from the Netherlands at enormous carbon footprint cost. Yes, the lettuce is cheaper, but the cost to the environment is much greater.

What do I think? We should leave the EU, grow our own food, reduce the number of trucks rolling across our countryside, and reduce the carbon footprint. Will the remainers be happy? You can bet your life they won't!

Shelagh, I think that you nailed it.  Taking charge of one’s own destiny is the right thing to do.  Globalization, although commercially attractive, has been devastating to the global community and has affected Climate Change.  No country can divorce itself entirely from the global community. The winds can carry pollution without regard to borders.  Chernobyl is just one example.  Although we can’t control what happens in other countries, we can control what happens within our own country.  I applaud Greta Thurnberg, the young Swedish activist, that is making an impact on the world stage. Concern for our habitat is a priority.  Instead of concentrating on other planets, we need to give more attention to the one we live on.  Political expedience plays a huge role affecting public opinion.  Diversion is the tactic being used to ignore or delay the tough decisions required for survival.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 22, 2019 2:28 am

The Tory party is in the process of electing a new leader to replace Theresa May. Front-runner Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt, who replaced Boris as Foreign Secretary, will tour the country as party members submit their votes for leader. The result will be announced in July.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 22, 2019 7:07 am

We’re watching the news with the intrigue being played out in the political arena.  By this time people should know that politicians will say what people want to hear to get elected.  Delivering on the promises only becomes a concern when they are up for re-election and by that time, most have forgotten the promises made.  Where I live, the people just want it to be over with – deal or no deal.  Trump’s endorsement of Johnson may be a big negative.  Any promises Trump makes are worthless.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2019 12:54 pm

Very hot here in Germany.  Gisela felt the need to do some walking, so I suggested walking to the church.  It is cool in these old churches; besides I had another motive.  While she sat in a church pew, I played the piano. It felt good to play again.  I think we will do it again using the hot weather as an excuse.  The solitude had an additional benefit for undisturbed meditation.
The heatwave in Europe is having devastating effects.  It is predicted to be a sign of things to be expected with climate change. Events such as this overshadow the political crap.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Events and attitude   Events and attitude - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Events and attitude
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next