Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

People living longer

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

People living longer Empty
PostSubject: People living longer   People living longer EmptySun Jun 03, 2018 7:49 am

It was reported that there are approximately 17,000 Germans 100 years old or older.  No reason given.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: People living longer   People living longer EmptySun Jun 03, 2018 8:59 am

People now have better food to eat, better medical care and better housing than they used to have.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: People living longer   People living longer EmptySun Jun 03, 2018 9:34 am

True Alice.  There is an excellent healthcare program in place with annual physicals.

Digging further, there were other reasons given.  Consuming Wine and beer along with “bewegung” –(exercise) and eating lots of fresh vegetables and fruit.  There are important nutrients in both wine and beer.  Although Germans are known to eat lots of pork, that doesn't appear to be a negative.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: People living longer   People living longer EmptySun Jun 03, 2018 10:55 am

I checked and found that more than 14,500 people in the UK are over the age of one hundred and half a million are over the age of ninety.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: People living longer   People living longer EmptySun Jun 03, 2018 11:53 am

Living longer is not confined to any one country.  I believe it has much to do with good healthcare and a lifestyle filled with unstressed activity.  Feeling young is expressed even in the clothes we wear.
One can readily see how a person feels by the expression on their face.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: People living longer   People living longer EmptyTue Jun 05, 2018 2:50 pm

The clothes are happier as well as younger. I remember my mother used to wear old cloppity looking shoes. They were terrible as well as awful looking.
No one could live long with them.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: People living longer   People living longer EmptyTue Jun 05, 2018 10:42 pm

You make a good point, Alice.  What one wears can reflect one’s mood.   A speaker once told the story about asking a person how they felt, and the answer was “good”.   He responded, “why don’t you tell your face?”
Unconsciously, we react to the expression on a person’s face.  One can usually tell the mood of a person by their facial expression.  Professional speakers and actors will stand in front of a mirror and observe their facial expression before appearing before the public.  I observed this with the actor, Bob Cummings.  He was in a bad mood arriving late for a live TV interview.  I was driving the car trying to find the TV station in Ottawa.  Normally, prior to going on the air, a make-up artist will work on the performer to make sure he/she doesn’t appear pale as well as how the person will look under the bright lights.  As we were running late, Bob knew that there would not be time to use a makeup artist and pulled out his own “emergency” make-up kit.  As he was applying the make-up, I was driving over bumps in the road throwing him around in the backseat.  He was perturbed and expressed his displeasure verbally.  As I pulled up to the front door of the TV station, Bob jumped out and was told that he had three minutes before air time.  I left the car standing and followed him into the station.  Bob stopped in front of the stage door, closed his eyes to compose himself.  When his name was announced, he walked into the studio smiling as though he had no care in the world – a true professional.  His reputation as “smiling Bob” was intact.
It is not just facial expressions but also the clothes we wear that reflects the mood.  One does not attend a funeral wearing bright colors, but rather black symbolic of a somber/sad event.  Not everyone has the financial capacity to dress for the occasion.  Their discomfort can be seen on their faces.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: People living longer   People living longer EmptyWed Jun 06, 2018 6:04 pm

I like that approach, Abe.   When I  told children's stories, I tried to look  like I had the world by the tail.
It made the kids happy and in turn myself.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: People living longer   People living longer EmptyThu Jun 07, 2018 6:17 am

People living longer has a downside. With age comes limitations causing frustration and often depression.  When one cannot do even the simple things without tiring or aching from exertion, it is a problem.  Having people tell you how good you look “for your age” may be meant well, but it is a reminder that looks can be deceiving.  Although elderly people will talk about their aches and pains along with the medicines they are taking to other people their age, they seldom discuss it with younger people.  Younger people tend not to listen with genuine concern.  Understanding how an old(er) person feels is difficult and requires some imagination since they lack the experience. There are times when an older person just wants to end it all.  Dealing with the frustration of trying to remember simple things is just one of the maladies.  Change of routine can affect one’s attitude. Impatience on the part of younger people who expect the older person to “get it”- understand it immediately.  The ability to grasp new ideas/concepts is difficult with age and requires patience.  I believe that the “age” we live in - the age of information, the age of wanting it yesterday, the fast pace of life in general, affects older people. 
As people age they remember the carefree days of their youth.  They also remember dramatic events, such as living through war.  Talking about it is good therapy.  If they repeat a story they may be told “we heard that before” forgetting that old people can also be insulted.  Old folk want to take people at their word.  Lies are not easily forgiven or forgotten.  Trust becomes more important with age.  Trusting their doctor, their children and close friends is important.  When trust is lost, there is nothing remaining.  That includes trusting the word of one’s government that Social Security payments will continue.  The anxiety created with the threat of cuts to life-dependent income is a health hazard.   Not everyone has the good fortune to live in a country that genuinely cares for its senior citizens.  Seniors that can depend on the good will of family and friends are fortunate.  It is not always a money issue, but simply a caring attitude that can brighten the day.  Having someone to listen with an attentive ear is appreciated.  Generally, older folk are not looking for advice when they unload, but rather a sympathetic ear.
If you ask the question, “How are you?”  Make sure that your interest is genuine and be prepared to listen to the response.  In any case, be patient.  Some people require more time to formulate their thoughts before answering even a simple question.  If you really don’t want to know, don’t ask.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: People living longer   People living longer Empty

Back to top Go down

People living longer
Page 1 of 1