Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Removal of statues

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Removal of statues Empty
PostSubject: Removal of statues   Removal of statues EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 1:19 pm

The recent events in Charlottesville, VA are having repercussions with much debate about the removal of Civil War Statues. 

In my travels over the years I visited many ornate cathedrals.  It was sad to learn that many were built on the backs of the poor, that one could call “slave labor”.   I also visited the cemeteries situated alongside these cathedrals.  There were many headstones elaborately adorned to honor the dead.  Inside the Cathedrals were statues of Saints and paintings depicting biblical scenes.  The glass in the windows also depicted religious scenes.  Leonardo de Vinci was famous for his paintings that are displayed in famous museums. 
The statues and paintings were made to honor the person or the event.  It was done in a positive light.   The controversy over Civil War Statues is not something to take lightly.  I visited the Battle Field at Gettysburg and viewed the monuments attributed to prominent soldiers on both sides.  It is a part of history.   Tourists visit battle fields that were significant during the Civil War.  These battle fields are museums in their own right and a part of our history.  I am not convinced that the removal of these statues will ever erase the memory, nor should that memory be erased. 

The problem is when people use these events to promote their prejudicial ideals, i.e., flying the Confederate Flag or having Confederate decals pasted on their pick-up trucks.  Fanning the flames of hate is not good.  I doubt that we will ever eradicate bigotry, however we must continue to fight against it.  To remain quite implies acceptance.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Removal of statues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removal of statues   Removal of statues EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 4:14 pm

Rightly or wrongly,  most of the confederate monuments across America will disappear.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/08/16/us/confederate-monuments-removed.html

I hve a facebòok friend, Elena Karpos, who is a Russian aristocrat. She has uploaded hundreds of photos of Russian artefacts, paintings, churches, and palaces that were preserved rather than destroyed after the revolution. The American liberal elite place ideology above art, unlike the Russians.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Removal of statues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removal of statues   Removal of statues EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 10:40 pm

Ideology has and continues to be a problem.  "With every adversity there is a benefit".  I believe that the attention being given to these symbols will serve to educate.  In Germany, there are no statues of the Nazis.  The famous book written by Hitler, "Mein Kampf" has, until recently, been banned.     Prohibition has an attraction.  I have never read the book, but would like to just to satisfy my curiosity.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Removal of statues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removal of statues   Removal of statues EmptyFri Aug 18, 2017 5:43 am

8/18

Your both correct, you can't get rid of statues it represents history, even if they
were destroyed the history is still there, these people are low class white trash , trouble
makers...

Cheers. Joe .... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Sponsored content

Removal of statues Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removal of statues   Removal of statues Empty

Back to top Go down

Removal of statues
Page 1 of 1