Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

Fake News

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10338
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Fake News   Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:30 am

We hear much talk about “Fake News” especially from this administration.  It appears that any media reporting statements or events critical of this President is labeled as fake.  Is there any media that is not considered “fake” by this administration?
On FB, Trump supporters respond quickly to criticism of Trump labeling it as fake or false.  Political preference can be blinding and opinions cannot be construed as fact.  Even with collaboration, as with reference to statements made by reliable sources, it is still up to the reader to accept or reject the information.  Visual images speak more than words and even what we see is subject to manipulation.  Critical thinking is more important than ever.  The track record of those involved is helpful. That “inner voice” is more reliable than outside forces.  Perception continues to play a role in forming opinions.  It asks the question:  “What is truth”?  One definition is: “that which is true or in accordance with fact or reality.” Is there a difference between fact and reality?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 12375
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Fake News   Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:19 am

Fake news is not limited to America's administration. Social media websites, Facebook in particular, have been complicit in the use of fake news/information to generate enormous wealth for social media owners such as Mark Zuckerberg. Where on-line warnings about plagiarism once prevailed, now warnings about fake news are commonplace.

Many are disappointed to learn that the news they believe in is false, to the point of rejecting the truth because it disagrees with their preconceived opinions. Warnings about fake news, such as this, go unheeded:

http://libguides.pace.edu/fakenews

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©Shelagh Watkins 2017
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10338
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Fake News   Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:47 am

Good info and advice on the website you posted, Shelagh.
I am guilty of having shared posts on FB without checking sources.  When there is a post that states what I believe, it is tempting to share it thinking that "I am not alone with these thoughts.
Interaction with people who seem to be the same page, or wave length, is comforting.  

The actions of a person says more than the words they speak.  Opinions about the character of the person are formed without conscious effort.  IMV, that "gut" feeling about a person has validity.  There are people who have a "Sixth Sense".  Don Stephens had that ability that kept him alive on numerous occasions during his clandestine activities in S.E. Asia.  My wife has a sixth sense and can read people.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fake News   

Back to top Go down

Fake News
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: