Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Thanksgiving and Christmas shoppping

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Thanksgiving and Christmas shoppping Empty
PostSubject: Thanksgiving and Christmas shoppping   Thanksgiving and Christmas shoppping EmptyFri Nov 25, 2016 1:07 am

Beware of fraud.

Published Specials should be viewed with skepticism.  

If there is a label with the price crossed out and a lower price posted, lift the price tag and check the original price.  Sometimes the original price is less.
Also calculate the per item price when being offered three or four at a discount.  If you can’t figure the per item price in your head, carry a calculator with you.  The word “Special” can mean that it is especially marked-up, not down.   

Retailers use tricks to fool customers with all the excitement and rush during the Thanksgiving and Christmas buying season.   They use consumer buying psychology and that includes where items are placed in the store.  Be careful with the stands in the middle isles that proclaim “specials” or “percentage discounts”.   Check the original price and do your own calculations of the proclaimed discount.

Men are not as cautious as women.  Usually men shoppers know what they want and go directly to the department carrying the goods while women can be distracted by something new in fashion.  Many women are “impulse” buyers and spend more than they originally planned to spend.  If you have ever observed what stands greet the customer when entering the store, they are high profit items like cosmetics and jewelry.  Men shopping alone can be more easily subjected to “bait and switch”.  If the man asks a clerk what she thinks about an item of clothing he is considering or even has tried on, the clerk may tell him that another (higher priced) items would suit him better.  If the man’s wife is present her opinion can avoid the clever method of switching.  Sometimes men are used, masquerading as customers, to offer opinions to female customers.   

There are other gimmicks used by merchants especially at outdoor markets i.e., when they place vegetables on the weight scale they often place a small weight on the scale and then ask the customer if it is okay if the exceeded weight is okay.  Most often the answer is yes.  Watch/observe everything.  Challenge anyone that you suspect of doing something shady.  
Buyer beware is especially true at this time of the year.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving and Christmas shoppping   Thanksgiving and Christmas shoppping EmptyFri Nov 25, 2016 8:43 am

This is the first year I haven't picked out at least one thing I wanted to buy on Black Friday for gifts for others or myself.  I usually stroll over to Ace Hardware because they have rebates that equal "$0" for the item in the end and to Staples that usually has some good stocking stuffers.  I didn't see either advertised this year.

One year I bought three 32" televisions at Walmart at $95 each - and they are still great.  Another year I bought a 15" laptop for $99 at Staples - and same for the laptop.

I bought my mom a $99 leather jacket at Big Lots after an hour's stand in a blizzard.

I bought some Pyrex at Macy's after a similar experience to collect gift cards that were substantial.  (I thought that was the best ever - free gift cards by luck from $5 to $50 - Mine was $10.)

I bought pajamas at Penny's once for $5.

I bought T-fall pans at Walmart that burned up the first year (my son was cooking - my son the adult - you can't walk away from T-fall).

I note that Old Time Pottery has some 2 for $4.97 pillows that might be worthwhile.  Their sales are usually genuine or marked as "special purchase" - which always means "beware" of "last year's stuff" to me.

There is a kind of excitement though that I miss.  People usually talk to each other standing in line and share their pieces of paper and deal lists.  I know it's materialistic, but if that's the only way to get a conversation on the day after Thanksgiving - it's not all bad.

One of the great things about being older without grandchildren is the presents buying is just about nil.  A few presents here and there, but more thought gifts than "must" gifts.  That's because there is no workplace that exchanges presents and all the kids are grown with their own lives and families.

The best part of Thanksgiving was taking a plate to a friend who was home with a cold.  It's the stuff we put our hear into that really touches our soul.  May you have soul filled holidays.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving and Christmas shoppping   Thanksgiving and Christmas shoppping EmptyFri Nov 25, 2016 9:22 am

Sounds like you got it all together.  "Thought" gifts instead of "must" gifts are the best. 
The gift-giving season has special rewards and it is not necessarily connected with the gift itself.
Giving with no thought of return is the best, IMV.  I even like anonymous giving.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving and Christmas shoppping   Thanksgiving and Christmas shoppping EmptyMon Dec 05, 2016 7:55 am

I refuse to deal with crowds.  The internet works for me.  Nordstrom and
Amazon are my favorites.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thanksgiving and Christmas shoppping   Thanksgiving and Christmas shoppping Empty

Back to top Go down

Thanksgiving and Christmas shoppping
Page 1 of 1