Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

Truth about Slavery

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10259
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Truth about Slavery   Tue May 17, 2016 4:54 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31E1gHowYcA
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 12326
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Truth about Slavery   Wed May 18, 2016 11:22 am

This flash fiction story is included in my short collection, Four Short Stories, Abe:

Not a Hill of Beans

I belong to a large group of workers. There are two hundred and eighteen million of us working around the world. I am lucky; my present work isn't too risky. One hundred and twenty-six million in this group are involved in work that is harmful to their safety or health.

Like me, my younger sister and brother are HIV-positive. My parents both died of AIDS in 2005. That's when we went to live with my uncle's family. We needed money for medicines, so I found work as a ‘rag picker’ sorting through garbage for recycling waste – paper, glass, metal, plastic and cardboard – dangerous work for five to eight dollars per month.

One day, a large four-wheel drive car turned off the nearby highway with two men inside. They parked the car and walked over to a small group of rag pickers. I carried on working. One of the men called me over, “That's hard work for less than ten dollars a month. I can find you work that pays five times as much as that. Come over here. Listen to our offer.”

“No thanks,” I replied.

Although I'd heard about workers who’d been offered better work with higher pay, after they left, I never saw them again to know if it worked out or not. There was no work around here paying that kind of money.

The man walked over to me and said, “Don't you want to make more money? Look at your friends. They're coming with us for a better life.”

When I looked over, I could see the rag pickers walking towards the car and climbing into the back seats. I said I still wasn't interested. I knew I would never see any of them again and, if I joined them, I would never see my family again.

That was my last thought. I felt a blow to the back of my head and passed out. When I came round, I was inside the car speeding along the highway.

I never did see my family again. I'll die soon because I don't have any money for medications. In the meantime, I'm one of two hundred and eighteen million slaves around the world. I am ten years old.

I was born in Mali but I now work on a plantation in Ivory Coast. I work twelve-hour days in scorching heat, picking beans from cacao trees. They say the beans are made into chocolate. What is chocolate? I've never seen any.

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10259
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Truth about Slavery   Wed May 18, 2016 11:47 am

Excellent Shelagh.  It makes the point well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Truth about Slavery   

Back to top Go down

Truth about Slavery
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: