Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

Caution Notice

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10620
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Caution Notice   Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:51 am

Head’s up.
Be careful who you accept as a friend on FB.  There are people looking to connect that may have ulterior motives.  It has been found that some terrorists made contacts via FB and then used these contacts to gain entry into a country saying that they had friends located in that country.  I have received friend requests on FB from persons of Middle Eastern origins and I’m skeptical about accepting them.  They want to chat.  I don’t want to chat with them.  I get the “How are you doing?”  “How are you today?” wanting to start a conversation. 
One recent Pakistani wanted to know if I had a Cam so he could see me.  I won’t give out any info to these people.  No address, no telephone number and no email address.  What they see on my profile is all they get.  I have accepted friend requests where it shows that someone is a friend of someone I have on my friends list.  Even that is no guarantee that the person is okay.  If I see posts made by a person and then get a friend request from them, I at least have some clue about how they think on certain subjects. 
We know that the I-Net is being monitored by government security agencies and that includes social media.  Caution is suggested.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 12525
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Caution Notice   Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:58 am

Thanks for the heads-up, Abe.

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©Shelagh Watkins 2017
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Caution Notice   Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:48 pm

4/9

Abe

I keep my chat off ! I don't accept people I don't know only through
  personal friends...

Cheers......Joe.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10620
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Caution Notice   Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:21 am

Good idea Joe.  The friend request that I accepted was already shown as a friend on my friend's list.  There is not assurance that these people have been screened.  I try to see the friend request profile and determine if there is something in common that would be of interest. 
I befriended that man I mentioned and then when he made the unusual request, I unfriended him.  I'm wondering if while he was on my "friend's list that other people may have added him as friend where it showed that he was my friend.  In the future, I intend to make an inquiry of the person who has the person on their "friend's list and get their input before adding them.  In recent weeks I have "unfriended" a number of people, especially those whose posts irritate me.  Most are due to extreme political views.  I don't need the irritation.  Responding to their posts often shows them to be uninformed or just plain stupid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Caution Notice   

Back to top Go down

Caution Notice
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: Current Events-
Jump to: