Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

Are bad things bad?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Are bad things bad?   Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:31 am

Often I let my head just roam and makeup stuff. These are things I often use in the thinking of my characters. The reason I do this is I understand all people have strange stuff they think about, but never tell others.
Here is one I had this morning while having my first cup of coffee.

WW2...I agree WW2 was a bad show. Say there never was a WW2. I'll use Shelagh for this example. The chances of her parents ever meeting are one in ten trillion. For Shelagh to have been born, both her mother and father would have had to meet when they did, and have sex at the very time that created Shelagh, not a second before or after. A slight move on the bed to the left, or right would also change everything. If there was no WW2, things would not have happened as they did, and Shelagh would never have been born. You must remember, she had to be constructed from that one egg, and one seed...no second chance. So it there was never a WW2, You would not be reading this post.

I'm a good swimmer, but I'm not that fast. I have often thought, "Wow, I out swam all the thousands of other little sperm things and got in the egg first," Just think about it. We could have just been another mess on a dirty sheet.

Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 15294
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Are bad things bad?   Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:02 am

I am glad Shelagh is here.  Each one of us is a miracle and was put here for a purpose. 
Good thing to remember, Dom.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Are bad things bad?   Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:09 am

We lost our first  child early  in the  pregnancy.  I was terribly upset until we had our first child who was conceived the month the lost child was due.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10220
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Are bad things bad?   Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:15 am

Wow.  A subject that has triggered reflections on the "if's" of life or the "what if's".
 If I had not entered the USAF and been stationed in Germany I would never have met my wife and wouldn't have the children I have.  I thought about what would have happened if I had stayed in my hometown, who I would have married and what my life would have been like.  These thoughts can never change what happened.  WWII was a factor in having an Airbase in Germany.  It was a factor in my wife being where she was at the time we met. 
It points to another truth.  “What we are today is the sum total of the decisions we made during our lifetime.”  If we enjoy our life, we may conclude that we made the right decisions.  If we are unhappy, it has much to do with the choices we made.  We can’t click an "undo" button and useless regretting won’t change anything. 
I think of children and how important it is for the choices they make or will make.  Each choice can point them in a different direction.  Parents may feel compelled to offer advice about these choices especially if they made some bad choices and don’t want them to do the same.
Before I was transferred to Europe by the USAF, I got engaged to a girl from my hometown. We were in love.  Her parents were not pleased.  Letters went back and forth expressing our love and looking forward to my return so that we could be married.  While stationed in Ramstein, I received a small box with the engagement ring in it.  There was no letter or explanation.  I wrote asking why and never got an answer.  (Much later I learned that her parents had sent the ring to break-up our engagement and that the letters I sent were intercepted and she never saw them).  I was devastated at this rejection without knowing why.  It is during this time that I met the girl who became my wife.  When I completed my tour and returned to the US, I returned with a pregnant wife.  It was then that I learned that my girl (Mary Lou) had waited for me.  She had become a nurse and worked at the hospital where my wife gave birth to our son.  I also learned that she stopped by the hospital bed to peek at my wife and son (There’s more to that story)
We have little or no control over events, yet events affect our daily life and choices we continue to make.  We want to be accepted and can be easily offended by uninformed comments about the life we lead.  I have been offended when discussing US politics and told that since I don’t live in America I have no right to my opinions. 
Events caused me to leave my hometown and seek a life elsewhere. It was events that determined the course of my life with work that took me to various countries and eventually caused me to write about this in a book.  This book led to joining author’s forums where I eventually met those on this forum.  Events led to me living where I do.  Life experiences affect my views on politics.  When we discuss current events or politics our views often differ.  Without understanding why we think the way we do creates dissent/misunderstandings and antagonism.   
I expect that more decisions will be made before my life comes to an end.  I hope to make the remaining days as pleasant as possible.  At the same time, I intend to say what I feel.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Are bad things bad?   Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:26 am

How sad.  What awful,  awful parents--would have made despicable in-laws.
You were saved.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Are bad things bad?   Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:42 am

Alice, you may be right.  On the other hand, we'll never know. Whenever I heard the song: "Mary Lou" I had flashbacks.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Are bad things bad?   Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:21 pm

We have all had loveS,(with a big S) and lost. The one that hurt me the most was Veronica Lake. When I was nine I fell head over heels with her. I told my mother, “When I grow up I’m going to marry Veronica Lake.” Never even got to see her, but inside I kept a little flame lit.
When I was thirty five I was doing business with a guy named John. I liked John. During WW2 he was in the Army Air Corp. John never went overseas. He used to fly new aircraft from the factories to bases within the States. One night John and me were having a beer, and he started talking about his Army days. Said he was in San Francisco a lot. He told me about this one nigh, and a bar which was his home away from home. He knew the women who owned it pretty good. I guess they were friends. Above the bar she had a whore house. John told me this story; His friend the owner of the bar said, “John, I have something up stairs you’re going to like.” John said he followed her up to a room, and in bed was Veronica Lake…NAKED.  I asked John, “You screwed Veronica Lake?” He said it was great. I said, “John, you just screwed up my dream.” I never had anything to do with John after that. Screwing up a real love is one thing, But screwing up a dream…that’s crossing the line.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 12302
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Are bad things bad?   Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:28 pm

Domenic, you are a tease!

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Are bad things bad?   Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:46 pm

Shelagh wrote:
Domenic, you are a tease!

Just think, Shelagh, if one of use had turned left rather than right...we may have been lovers...and you would have seen what a teaser I am? There is a beach in Southern California...on a summer night when the moon is full and the sand is still warm, a little wine, and a few words...ahhhh, what may have been. The sound of the waves crashing on the shore would hide your cries of joy from others.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Are bad things bad?   Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:29 pm

The Italian Stallion in real life.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are bad things bad?   

Back to top Go down