Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books
 
HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 
 

 Devastating news about Don Stephens

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 12354
Registration date : 2008-01-11
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:25 pm

joefrank wrote:
1/24

                 Here it is a second time: I said I believe the note Don left will never be
open to the public only to his son and I'm sure he wouldn't want anyone to read 
something that personal and the police never release notes like that, I believe we
should leave Don and his wife in peace, God rest their souls, we will never have 
the answer.....


                                                                 Joe

You are right, Joe.

_________________

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 15348
Registration date : 2008-10-22
Age : 70
Location : Redmond, WA

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:40 pm

In every gun discussion DJS was very determined.  I never dreamed he  should not have accces to one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:59 pm

Shelagh wrote:
Al Stevens wrote:
If her pain was unbearable and untreatable, then ending her life was the only humane option.
 
Euthanasia is illegal in the UK. Legalising mercy killings would not permit anyone in the UK to assist or take the life of another; only a qualified medical doctor would be allowed to assist in allowing someone to die. This has been strongly resisted by all UK political parties in light of the number of patients killed by a GP, Dr. Harold Shipman, in Manchester several years ago. Convicted of murdering 15 people, a report later concluded Shipman was responsible for at least 215 deaths over a 25 year period. The trusted GP was transformed into one of the most notorious murderers the world has ever known, proof that laws allowing assisted deaths would be abused far too easily.

Al Stevens wrote:
I watched my mother suffer and deteriorate for a year with pancreatic cancer.

My brother died from pancreatic cancer at the age of forty-three. He left a five year old daughter and an eight year old son. The sight of these two children at their father's graveside broke everyone's hearts; some had to leave the churchyard because of their distress. We all suffered, even though my brother suffered the most.

Al Stevens wrote:
Experience all that before you say no one has the right to mercifully end such suffering.

No one has a right to end someone else's life.

Al Stevens wrote:
Don did his loving duty as he saw it. His memory does not deserve that kind of condemnation. His grieving survivors do not need to read the clucking disapproval of others who did not endure with him as he watched his beloved wife perish too slowly and who have no way of remotely understanding the agony of such a situation. If they truly believe in a merciful God, then they must know that Don had the requisite blessing to do what he needed to do.

Don had no one's blessing; he had their forgiveness.

I agree with Shelagh 110%. No person, for any reason has the right to take a life. To also take your own life is murder. I understand many on, and off this forum do not believe in God, but I do. The scriptures are clear to me..."All people are the property of God. No one has the right to murder any of Gods property." Yes the suffering may be very bad. Most people will fight death to the last second. We have no idea what Don's wife was like, or what she wanted?
She was in a wheelchair, so Don did not have to carry her around the house. Yes I'm sure he put her in bed, and took her out. Helped her in the bathroom. Sure Don had to cook, and clean up...but if he was alone he would still have to cook, and clean up.
Nobody likes to see a person suffer, waste away, and die. But nobody has the right to play God. If I sound harsh on Don, I will own that. I did not know the man outside of this forum...and on the forum I had very little to do with him. A few years back I show a side of him I did not like...the civilian acting like G.I.Joe. G.I. Joe has no place in a relationship...the old saying still stands..."Nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors." I hear about how he loved her so much...nobody knows how he treated his wife, or his first wife.? The police have the case down as a murder...because all they have is a note from Don...nothing from his wife. If he loved her so much, how could he just let her lay there for five days in her own blood? Don's son had nothing to do with Don...does anybody think he may have had a reason?
My dad, and one sister were both brain dead...nobody shot them to death...we waited for the Doctore to unhook life support. death hurts the living. When somebody is very sick, you don't kill them to ease their pain...you give your all to love, and comfort them, even if they are a stranger. if done could not care for her, there are people who are waiting to help those in need of help...and it is free.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 10309
Registration date : 2008-01-26
Age : 78
Location : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:20 pm

Dr. Kevorkian was an American doctor who performed euthanasia on a number of people.  He was eventually arrested and sentenced.  
There is something in all the posts that I can agree with.  We make statements based on personal experience and/or our perception of what others may have done or suffered. 
Dom says: "No person, for any reason has the right to take a life."  How does that play out with war?  Does the taking of a life apply only to those that carry out the deed or also to those who give the orders to kill?  The Biblical "Thou shalt not kill" did not come with exceptions or specifics.  How does that apply to the death penalty carried out by the legal system?  Killing someone because they killed another person some tend to see as an "eye for an eye" - ancient barbarism. 
I would still like to see the contents of the note Don left.  It may help with closure and perhaps even help us deal with others who are in a similar situation.  Are there any signs/words that could alert us?  Is there something we could say or do to help that person overcome the mental anguish they are experiencing?
Don was an expert with guns.  His military record attests to that.  His books reveal knowledge of a variety of guns and what weapon is best for what purpose.  Having a gun because “I know how to use it” or for “self-defence” is no guarantee that the gun won’t be used by someone else or by oneself under the right circumstances.  All the training in the use of guns goes out the window when the decision is taken to use it.  We can say the person was mentally unbalanced or “flipped-out” to justify the exceptions.  If the gun is not available, the killing may not occur.  Time can be an enemy or a friend.  Given time, one can change their mind.  Spur of the moment decisions or acting out of anger is not something that can be predicted. 
I hope that the tragedy with Don can be a learning experience.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 12354
Registration date : 2008-01-11
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:26 am

Abe F. March wrote:

Dom says: "No person, for any reason has the right to take a life."  How does that play out with war?  Does the taking of a life apply only to those that carry out the deed or also to those who give the orders to kill?  The Biblical "Thou shalt not kill" did not come with exceptions or specifics.  How does that apply to the death penalty carried out by the legal system?  Killing someone because they killed another person some tend to see as an "eye for an eye" - ancient barbarism. 


Not everyone abides by the statement "Thou shalt not kill". When war breaks out, an aggressor meets a defender with the subsequent loss of life. The death penalty takes a life for a life; it is a deterrent that not all countries enforce.

Abe F. March wrote:

I would still like to see the contents of the note Don left.  It may help with closure and perhaps even help us deal with others who are in a similar situation.
 

Don did not leave the note for you to read. He was aware of your wife's illness, and yet he did not correspond with you explaining his reasons for taking his own life and that of his wife. Not everyone in Don's situation leaves a note. This article about suicide notes says: "Mostly, notes reveal the distorted logic of a person who thinks suicide is a reasonable act to end suffering."

http://archive.freep.com/article/20120909/FEATURES01/309090030/Last-words-Suicide-notes-leave-as-many-questions-as-answers-for-survivors

_________________

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11
Location : Florida

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:15 am

The death penalty doesn't deter. In the US, states with the death penalty have no fewer per capita capital crimes than those states without it. Often there are more.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:39 am

Abe F. March wrote:
Dr. Kevorkian was an American doctor who performed euthanasia on a number of people.  He was eventually arrested and sentenced.  
There is something in all the posts that I can agree with.  We make statements based on personal experience and/or our perception of what others may have done or suffered. 
Dom says: "No person, for any reason has the right to take a life."  How does that play out with war?  Does the taking of a life apply only to those that carry out the deed or also to those who give the orders to kill?  The Biblical "Thou shalt not kill" did not come with exceptions or specifics.  How does that apply to the death penalty carried out by the legal system?  Killing someone because they killed another person some tend to see as an "eye for an eye" - ancient barbarism. 
I would still like to see the contents of the note Don left.  It may help with closure and perhaps even help us deal with others who are in a similar situation.  Are there any signs/words that could alert us?  Is there something we could say or do to help that person overcome the mental anguish they are experiencing?
Don was an expert with guns.  His military record attests to that.  His books reveal knowledge of a variety of guns and what weapon is best for what purpose.  Having a gun because “I know how to use it” or for “self-defence” is no guarantee that the gun won’t be used by someone else or by oneself under the right circumstances.  All the training in the use of guns goes out the window when the decision is taken to use it.  We can say the person was mentally unbalanced or “flipped-out” to justify the exceptions.  If the gun is not available, the killing may not occur.  Time can be an enemy or a friend.  Given time, one can change their mind.  Spur of the moment decisions or acting out of anger is not something that can be predicted. 
I hope that the tragedy with Don can be a learning experience.


Abe, I won't use the old English, I will put it into how we speak today. "YOU SHALL NOT KILL."
It is clear as a STOP sign on a street. The stop sign gives no reason. It’s meaning is very simple…”STOP YOUR CAR HERE.”
Are there exceptions about who, or when you can kill? It gives none. Can you kill in a war? It does not give that exception. Does it say you can kill to protect your family, or self? It does not give that exception.
Does God have to explain why he gave that order? He has. He says, “Vengeance is mine.” The reason vengeance is his is because he created us to serve him. We are his property. He is the only one who has the right to take vengeance on his property. How about the victim, the person who get killed? That is simple…God says he will bring them back to life.
I will tell you a truth Abe, The reason many people don’t want to believe in God is because they want freedom to do what they want to do. There is no exception God has given to kill any body…not even to save one’s own life. True we all have the right to protect our self, and others, but in protecting we do not have the right to kill.
God ordered certain tribes, and people killed. He had a good reason. He does not have to explain why. But, if you read the scriptures, he does give an explanation.
God knows what he is doing. It is we who do not know what we are doing.
War is killing…we can not make war. Yes others may make war, but we can not make war back, and kill. It is the reason I have always said…”It is better to die, than to kill.”
What God said is clear to me. “DOMENIC, YOU MUST NOT KILL.”
What others may feel about that command is between them and God. They will stand before him.
Will God forgive a person who has killed? Yes because they did not understand. But once they are told, they are warned
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 15348
Registration date : 2008-10-22
Age : 70
Location : Redmond, WA

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:34 pm

I agree with you , Dom.  Dave was a noncombatant during VietNam.  He served in  the military, but did
not bear arms.  My brother was the same.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 10309
Registration date : 2008-01-26
Age : 78
Location : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:14 am

No argument from me Dom. 
I saw on FB where "open carry" is now legal in Texas and you see men strutting around showing off their guns.  Then it showed a man sitting in church with his gun visible.  In this event, he shot himself in the foot during the service.  Although funny, it tells me that these alleged Christians don’t trust that God will protect them.   “Trusting in the Lord” is not evident. 
Gun ownership for a Christian if for claimed "self-protection" makes a farce out of their religious beliefs.  They have a ready come-back saying that God gave them a brain to use and therefore they use it as their God-given right for protection.  Those who try to justify what they want to do can always find an excuse for their actions.  Where personal and religious beliefs are concerned, actions speak louder than words.
How can there be a "War on Terror" when "War is Terror"?
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:46 pm

Abe F. March wrote:
No argument from me Dom. 
I saw on FB where "open carry" is now legal in Texas and you see men strutting around showing off their guns.  Then it showed a man sitting in church with his gun visible.  In this event, he shot himself in the foot during the service.  Although funny, it tells me that these alleged Christians don’t trust that God will protect them.   “Trusting in the Lord” is not evident. 
Gun ownership for a Christian if for claimed "self-protection" makes a farce out of their religious beliefs.  They have a ready come-back saying that God gave them a brain to use and therefore they use it as their God-given right for protection.  Those who try to justify what they want to do can always find an excuse for their actions.  Where personal and religious beliefs are concerned, actions speak louder than words.
How can there be a "War on Terror" when "War is Terror"?

You are correct, Abe...Christians do not carry guns or use them against other humans. if they believe what the Bible says.."If they die, God will bring them back to life. If they kill, they will be brought back for judgment." I would not want to stand before a living God trying to explain why I did not follow his command. If a person is, "strutting around with a gun, I'm sure it is loaded...which means they will use it to kill. Anybody can say they are a Christian...but if the old saying is true, "If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and flys like a duck...it's a good chance it is a duck"...in the case of a Christian with a gun, I don't think it is a duck.
Those who believe in God act like they have no idea of his unlimited power. When Jesus brought a man back to life who had been dead for three days, he had to rebuild every part of that man's body down to the last blood cell...that is a lot of power...God talks about bringing millions back to life in a second. There is no limit to Gods power. A Christian does not want to die, but should not fear death knowing asleep in death there is no time...this means you may be in the grave for a very long time, but when brought back to life, it will seem like you were dead for just a second. Jesus said it would be like the blink of an eye.
What the true war is: It is not man against those who do terror. it is Gods war against who is behind the terror...Satan. He is waging war on God people. If satan can get people to turn away from God, or Gods laws...they will be in trouble. I don't think many have not heard about God, or his laws.
Back to top Go down
Victor D. Lopez
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 984
Registration date : 2012-02-01
Location : New York

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:02 pm

I just read the news. I am truly saddened. Although I knew Don almost exclusively through these posts, I admired his service and his talent. We cannot know the despair a loving person may be driven to  in seeing a loved one suffer day in and day out. It is not my place to judge his action and I will not comment further on a situation I know absolutely nothing about beyond saying that my heart goes out to his family. May God have mercy on his soul and that of his wife.
Back to top Go down
http://www.victordlopez.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 15348
Registration date : 2008-10-22
Age : 70
Location : Redmond, WA

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:38 pm

As is usual.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 10309
Registration date : 2008-01-26
Age : 78
Location : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:26 pm

I still can't get the death of Don out of my mind.  I just finished reading (again) his book: "Tarnished Halo".  It was as though I was seeing Don in action and reading his thoughts.  In this book, with the risk of his own life and that of his team, he revealed his thought process.  He was prepared to take his own life if certain things happened.  Once a decision is made, it is just a matter of carrying out the action.  That appears to be what he did with his personal life.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:02 am

Abe F. March wrote:
I still can't get the death of Don out of my mind.  I just finished reading (again) his book: "Tarnished Halo".  It was as though I was seeing Don in action and reading his thoughts.  In this book, with the risk of his own life and that of his team, he revealed his thought process.  He was prepared to take his own life if certain things happened.  Once a decision is made, it is just a matter of carrying out the action.  That appears to be what he did with his personal life.


As writers, we learn, "A writer is all over their work." It matters not if one writes in non-fiction or fiction, we build our feelings into our writing for all to see. When we write a story, we write how we feel. We can't hide. If a writer hides their true feelings the story won't come alive. I'm sure there are writers who do not understand they are exposing their true guts. The same holds true for artist. Some paintings make one ask, "Wow, is he/she trying to change the world?"
If Don was willingl to get his own men killed, that is a bad leader one does not want to follow.
I had a friend who was in WW2. He had eight men under him. He won the silver star. He told me one time, "I told my men I want no hero's." He said his main goal was to get his men home alive...which he did. He and his men went from D-Day right into Germany. That is the type man who is a leader.
It would seem Don's book, "Tarnished Halo," was a red flag. I have also been thinking about Don's action in the murder of his wife. He talked about how hard it was taking care of her...I don't know, but my gut telsl me he didn't want to care for her anymore. Was he a drinker? we don't know...we do know he was they type who would get others killed in war. Maybe he had some strange plan, and after he killed her figured it would not work? That five days tell me it was not for love...if it was he would have taken his own life within minutes of taking hers. But that is just my take on it.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 10309
Registration date : 2008-01-26
Age : 78
Location : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:44 am

Dom, I think you misinterpreted my remarks about Don in the book.  He (his character) did everything to protect his team putting himself in harmsway for their protection.  It was the thought of failure that he couldn't handle.  It was the desire for revenge against those who placed them in the predicament they were in that gave the team the will to live and the determination to fight on.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:10 am

Abe F. March wrote:
Dom, I think you misinterpreted my remarks about Don in the book.  He (his character) did everything to protect his team putting himself in harmsway for their protection.  It was the thought of failure that he couldn't handle.  It was the desire for revenge against those who placed them in the predicament they were in that gave the team the will to live and the determination to fight on.

I understood what you were saying Abe. If a leader is putting his own life in harms way, he is putting those who follow him in harms way. I am also military trained. Only a fool goes into harms way. "Run away to fight again another day." You pick your ground to fight on. You never let the other guy do that for you. The greatest Ace in WW1 with 80 kills was asked, "How do you do it?" He(the red Baron) replied, "If I can't win, I run away."
it seems Don's thinking was, "Get the job done, and figure things out later." Don did not like taking care of his wife. My feeling are, "If he killed her out of love, that love would have driven him to take his own life within in minutes of killing her...waiting five days tell me the love for her was not that strong. Just my take on it.
From the things I have read Don said about fighting, tells me he did not have the training he claimed. I will even say, those who do have the training would say he didn't know what he was talking about. You have even said, He could not talk about this, or that...it was secret. To me that is just a cover story. Even fighter pilots are trained, "If it's not right, do not engage.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 10309
Registration date : 2008-01-26
Age : 78
Location : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:16 am

Dom, you are making judgements based on assumptions.  I thought you were above that.  Do yourself a favor and read at least one of his books and then comment on it.
Don Stephens is the best writer I have had the pleasure of knowning.  Based on that statement you may form opinions about me.  I am an avid reader.  When I like a book, I read it more than once.  I read Dick Stodghill's book at least four times.  I read all Don's books at least three times.  It seems that with every reading I see/learn something I missed the first time.  Even when I know the outcome of the story, taking the journey with the writer is an exciting adventure. 
Don was a good man that I highly respected and still do.  We can say that he made a mistake, and perhaps he did, but that doesn't erase the good in his life.  He was a person that I was proud to call: "Friend".
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 8176
Registration date : 2008-11-04
Age : 69
Location : Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:26 am

1/31

                  I think the forum should let Don and his wife rest in peace....
                  No use re-asking Why ? WHY ? WHY ? WHY ? Your never 
                  going to get an answer and I'm sure his son isn't going to
                  provide one nor the note...........


                                                             Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:31 am

Abe F. March wrote:
Dom, you are making judgements based on assumptions.  I thought you were above that.  Do yourself a favor and read at least one of his books and then comment on it.
Don Stephens is the best writer I have had the pleasure of knowning.  Based on that statement you may form opinions about me.  I am an avid reader.  When I like a book, I read it more than once.  I read Dick Stodghill's book at least four times.  I read all Don's books at least three times.  It seems that with every reading I see/learn something I missed the first time.  Even when I know the outcome of the story, taking the journey with the writer is an exciting adventure. 
Don was a good man that I highly respected and still do.  We can say that he made a mistake, and perhaps he did, but that doesn't erase the good in his life.  He was a person that I was proud to call: "Friend".

Yes we make judgements on assumptions based on what people do. I never said anything about Don being a good, or bad writer. And you are wrong when you say Don was a good person, and should not be put down for just one mistake.
If you don't understand the difference between a good person, and a bad person you can test it for yourself..."Go rob a bank, and when you stand before a judge tell him, 'This is the only mistake I have ever made,' and see if he says, 'Okay I won't put you in jail.'" Most people behinds bars are there for the first time crime. (mistake.)
Everybody is talking about poor Don. How about the poor victim, his wife?
I did not comment many times to things Don said on the forum because I knew he was blowing smoke other men earned, not him. People who do those things don't talk about it. Dick Stofghill never painted himself as Rambo. Dick wrote about how it was being a young kid in a stupid war. Here is a fact you can take to the bank...many of those who see the worst of it, blank it out...they don't remember all of it, just parts, and many are never sure if events were theirs, and that of others. Audry Murphy was interviewed on TY. He could not answer most of the questions about the war. His replies were, "Most of it is a blur. You never even know what day it is." He never wrote the book, "To hell and back.' Most of it was put together by his military record. Most of it was just filled in.
There are guys who were in combat in WW2, and killed just one of the enemy...and still they can't live with the fact they took a life...there is not a thin line between a good person, and a bad person. you might say that line is as thick as the distance between earth and the moon. Don's wife was a helpless sick old women. He took a gun and shot her. If it was for this great love he had for her, he would not have wanted to live another five days...he would have shot himself two seconds later...I don't have to assume Don was not a good man...his actions write it in stone. Here is a faqct you can take to the bank...bad people never see their actions as bad. Good people can't live with things they do bad, even little things.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 10309
Registration date : 2008-01-26
Age : 78
Location : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:17 pm

I hear you Dom, but nothing will change my mind about Don.  He was my friend. He is innocent until proven guilty and I am not his judge.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:17 pm

Abe F. March wrote:
I hear you Dom, but nothing will change my mind about Don.  He was my friend. He is innocent until proven guilty and I am not his judge.

Innocent until proven guilty? Abe, he left a note saying he shot his wife. His wife is dead from being shot. The police have the gun, and a note from Don saying he shot her...that is a confession of guilt...it does not need more proof than that. He did not kill her in fear of his own life...that makes it murder. He is a confessed murderer. The only way he could get out of that is if he was alive, and it could be proven he was insane at the time of the crime.
The Bible says to not judge others...and that is true. If Don had not left a note saying he shot his wife, and somebody (me) said he was a murderer that would be making a judgement. But since he left a note saying he did it, It is not making a judgement, it is a statement of fact.
The police had said somebody had been digging a hole in Don's back yard, and the dig was fresh. They did not say Don was the person who had been digging the hole...I'm not saying Don was digging the hole. Maybe some stranger went into Don's back yard and had been digging a hole? it does leave the question..why would somebody dig a hole in Don's back yard hours, or days after Don murdered his wife?
You can believe whatever you want Abe, but the man you call friend murdered a helpless women. I never knew her, but my feeling always go out to the victim., and they go out to her, not the murderer.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 15348
Registration date : 2008-10-22
Age : 70
Location : Redmond, WA

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:54 pm

I am glad he is not my husband.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 12354
Registration date : 2008-01-11
Location : UK

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:37 pm

Firstly, Don's military record is above reproach; he received four purple hearts for bravery. Don loved his wife dearly and looked after her with a great deal of tenderness.

Secondly, I think there is a possibility that Don was dying. After his death, his wife would have been incapable of caring for herself. She probably wanted to go first, not because she was in a great deal of pain, but because she couldn't bear the thought of living without Don. She was his bride, whom he cherished above all else. After her death, Don may have decided to take matters into his own hands instead of waiting to die a natural death. I still cry to think that he faced such an appalling choice. I can't imagine the pain he must have been in for those five days. It is heart breaking thinking about it.

_________________

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 8593
Registration date : 2008-12-29
Location : Florida

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:52 pm

It's 10:41 p.m. and I just checked in after a bit of absence.  I am in shock with a pain in my heart for yet another loss. 

I have to direct my grief and anger somewhere, so I'll direct it to the lack of appropriate and affordable health care in the U.S. in spite of some bits of progress.  When it comes to help coping with the impossibilities that often face us, none is affordably available.  Under my medicare policy an HMO counselor is a specialist at $50 an hour - and choices are limited.  Most men I know will not spend money on counseling.  My understanding of services available to vets is that they take time - and time is what a desperate person does not have.

I remember spirited posts with different opinions but respectful sharing.  I think shelagh has spoken the closest to my thoughts.

As you may know, my spiritual beliefs are not about religious dogma.  I do not believe that there is any vengeful god to answer to for our sins.  I believe that I do not know and death may be like sleep - nothing.  I fear nothing in this manner.  Mostly I feel sadness for the the days and hours leading to such desperate acts with no one or no program to ease the pain or the burdens - at least none that made a difference.

My heart aches for our friend, Joe, who went through pain and for the families and loved ones of all those lovely people from this forum who no longer walk this earth in a form I understand.  Their presence in our lives however makes them immortal.  Their words remain in our memory. I believe that all live is interconnected and just changes form.  The energy continues somewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
avatar

Number of posts : 8176
Registration date : 2008-11-04
Age : 69
Location : Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA

PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:10 pm

2/1

                    I don't believe anyone knows how Don felt or his heartache, I do, I lived it
dealt with it for almost five years, when you take care of someone you love and you really
don't have the support or help I did to a point but you feel over wrought, especially when 
you had to work, deal with everything that has to be done, go shopping worrying did they
fall out of the bed ? You get to the point your a nervous wreck and yet you do it because
you love that person, my feelings have always been and will be if you love someone wether
it's a partner, a Mother or a Father you take care of them , never put them in a nursing home
because you know they won't be taken care of and won't last.....Maybe what Shelagh said is
true he could have been ill and couldn't take care of her anymore, only he and God knows what
was going through his mind, I say let Don and his wife rest in peace and close this chapter.......

                                                                 Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Devastating news about Don Stephens   

Back to top Go down
 
Devastating news about Don Stephens
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: