Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Shooting in Oregon

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Shooting in Oregon Empty
PostSubject: Shooting in Oregon   Shooting in Oregon EmptyThu Oct 01, 2015 11:53 pm

Heard on the news this morning that there are (I believe) 10 students killed by a lone gunman at the Community College in Oregon.  The President spoke out about it offering condolences to the families of the victims.  He mentioned the number shootings since he has been President and how his efforts for more gun control have been thwarted.  
It seems that after each such event, attention is brought to the problem, but action to prevent further shootings is not taken.   Gun Lobbyists have succeeded.  It is also a political issue playing to prospective voters who opposed gun control.  The President mentioned several countries with strong gun control laws and how effective it is.  He also used data to compare the number of people killed from gun attacks to terrorist attacks.  He reiterated that he is talking about control, not elimination of guns.  
I know this is a hot and sensitive subject.  Being quite about it means compliance.  There is definitely a problem that is not going away without some action.  It is usually blamed on crazies – not law abiding citizens.  The record of those pulling the trigger does not support that contention of having a record of mental illness.  Using hunting as an excuse to own a gun is nonsense.  How many gun owners are hunters?  How many needs to hunt today to put food on the table?  A hunter (and I’ve been one) does not use a handgun to hunt.  This recent killing was with the use of a handgun.  Handgun control is urgently needed.   The argument that one needs a handgun for protection has not been proven valid.  Anyone carrying a weapon becomes the first target by any assassin.   The few, who can handle a situation by having a gun, are rare.  Don Stephens is an example of someone who knows how to use a gun along with the intelligence of when to use it.  I’ve talked with people who say, “I have a gun for self-protection.”  Knowing these people tells me that they would produce the gun and then freeze.  Showing the gun and with hesitation would be fatal.

This is my take and my opinion on the subject.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Shooting in Oregon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting in Oregon   Shooting in Oregon EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 5:03 am

Murders by guns occur almost daily in my small town. Add them up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Shooting in Oregon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting in Oregon   Shooting in Oregon EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 7:13 am

"Gun Violence.

Dear Mr. President.  It is time to do something to curb the gun violence.  
I suggest you appoint a bi-partisan TASK FORCE to come up with a plan for gun control."  

I sent the above comment to the White House today.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clarification of the 2nd Amendment – the right to bear arms requires clarification.  It is my understanding that it was instituted since America didn’t have a standing army.  Now that we have a standing Army, the Amendment is no longer valid.

If one insists that they should have the right to own a gun, there must be a reason given.  If for hunting, then they would be allowed to own a shotgun or rifle, depending on the type of hunting they intend to do and a license would be required.  That license would have an expiration date, just as with a driver’s license and renewal would be required.  On the renewal application, it would be required to state when and where they used the gun for hunting.

For a handgun, more stringent requirements would apply.  If one claims it is needed for protection, it must be stated why such protection is deemed necessary. 

Proposal:
Establish a Gun Depot in each community.  Every one with a gun places their gun(s) in the depot for safekeeping.  When they need the gun, they sign it out for a stated purpose along with the duration of the sign out.  This will keep guns out of the hands of kids and prevent them getting into the wrong hands.  Other than licensed gun owners, guns in the possession of anyone else are prohibited.

Many refer to the Swiss where everyone has a gun.  What they fail to say or explain is why and how.  The Swiss has no standing Army.  Therefore every male is required to go into training for any call up for duty.  Stringent requirements in the keeping of the guns and its security are in place.  No one carries a gun on their person unless/until they are called up for duty.  In Germany, guns are not permitted except for those who are part of a hunting Club. The gun owner must have a license for a specific gun and via the hunting club, they are required to go through training in the handling and keeping of the guns when in use and not in use.  Some keep their guns at the Gun Club.  Gun violence is rare.  I would suggest that our government take a look at other countries and see how they deal with guns, and then they can come up with a program of their own that keeps guns off the street and out of the hands of nuts.  Open carry is absurd and reflects on the individual.  IMV, they are trying to impress other with their toughness to hide their insecurity or cowardice.  Concealed weapons are the most troublesome.  It is difficult to conceal a long-barreled gun.
This subject has been debated for many years and no solution has been implemented.  This appears to be prompted by the NRA who has the resources to fight any gun control.  In the meanwhile, people are dying from gun violence.  To say that “Guns don’t kill, people do” is just another cliché that makes no sense in curbing violence.  Mass killings are most often carried out with automatic weapons.  In the most recent case, it was a hand gun.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Shooting in Oregon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting in Oregon   Shooting in Oregon EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 9:28 am

I support your proposals. While I am totally anti-gun, anti war and anti weapons for any reason, I recognize that there are people of good will and intention for whom gun ownership has a purpose.

Since my stepsister was murdered by a handgun and she was a marksman, I have an emotional response to guns and I recognize that fact.

When I lived on the sailboat, we were allowed all sorts of weapons in international waters.  However, when we came into the boundaries of islands, their coast guards and/or customs officials would collect our guns and only return them to us when we left.  This was quite inconvenient when we were traveling through many islands and not returning to where we turned in the guns.

When I taught school in the Bahamas, guns could be on board if they were checked and registered with the local authorities and kept in a locked cabinet.  When I was alone on the boat, I went to renew the gun registration and the customs people said that I had too many guns for one person and could "take over the Bahamas."  They came to the boat and took my guns.  I was happy to let them go.  Fact:  they were pretty harmless guns for throwing skeet off the bow of the boat and shooting them.  I felt safer with the guns gone and my trusty standard poodle, Lady, by my side.

Great grampa was from Russia but left with the communist revolution.  In the Russia of his youth, the local village police kept the guns for the hunters.  During hunting season, the hunters would check out their guns and return them at the end of season.  The police during boredom would clean and care for the guns.  Grampa felt it was a great system that benefited everyone.  The police knew who to arm in an emergency and the gun owners had well-maintained weapons.

I couldn't sleep at night if I was involved in the manufacture, sale and distribution of weapons.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Shooting in Oregon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting in Oregon   Shooting in Oregon EmptySat Oct 03, 2015 1:38 am

DK, it appears that we are in agreement.
While listening to the news reports about the gunman in Oregon, it occured to me that the profile of the gunman is similar to other mass shootings.  They are referred to as "quiet, keep to themselves, not trouble makers, etc).  Perhaps that is a signal that they feel left-out and seek attention.  I'm no psychiatrist, but it seems a likely signal.  Perhaps when one notices a person who is a loner one should give them attention and include them in activities.  When they decide to get attention in a big way it is violent.  Those who have committed mass murders get world-wide attention and their names are forever in the minds of people.  People want to know about the perpetrator and thus the media provides them what they want while at the same time giving the perpetrator what he wants.  

How many mass killings were committed with a knife or a club?  it is clear that guns are the weapon of mass killings.  How to keep them out of the hands of the criminal remains a problem.  A coordinated study should be conducted with an end resolution for prevention.  Whatever they conclude and whatever they put in place is not guarantee that it will work, but doing nothing is no solution.  "The life you save may be your own" is applicable with gun control.  

There is an outbreak of crime in Germany since the influx of Migrants/Refugees.  Citizens are being alerted in what to do, i.e., what precautions to take.  The prime action is to notifiy the police.  I recall "Neighborhood watch" signs in the US.  I don't know if that continues, but it makes good sense.  In effect, that is now happening in the area where I live.  Neighbors looking out for their neighbors and reporting anything out of the ordinary or suspicious to the police.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shooting in Oregon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shooting in Oregon   Shooting in Oregon Empty

Back to top Go down

Shooting in Oregon
Page 1 of 1