Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Not Rich Yet?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Not Rich Yet? Empty
PostSubject: Not Rich Yet?   Not Rich Yet? EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 8:50 am

This may be the reason:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/publisher-news/article/68008-new-guild-survey-reveals-majority-of-authors-earn-below-poverty-line.html?utm_source=Publishers+Weekly&utm_campaign=4e1f128a87-UA-15906914-1&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0bb2959cbb-4e1f128a87-304643353

If you still want a publisher, this listing may be useful:

http://myperfectpitch.com/site-information-for-authors-and-publishers/
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Not Rich Yet? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Rich Yet?   Not Rich Yet? EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 11:02 am

Based on that article, as an author I am sub-poor.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Not Rich Yet? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Rich Yet?   Not Rich Yet? EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 11:25 am

:-) Laughing Me too!
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Not Rich Yet? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Rich Yet?   Not Rich Yet? EmptyWed Sep 16, 2015 9:39 am

Book writing is like the arts--starvation wages.  Nobody needs another book.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Not Rich Yet? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Rich Yet?   Not Rich Yet? EmptyThu Sep 17, 2015 5:37 am

Sadly the art of classical writing is slipping. However all things change and new ways to communicate may be better for coming generations. Until then we need a patron for art.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Not Rich Yet? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Rich Yet?   Not Rich Yet? EmptyThu Sep 17, 2015 6:34 am

alice wrote:
Book writing is like the arts--starvation wages.  Nobody needs another book.
I don't think it is a question of needing another book, but rather wanting another book.  Between my wife and me, we have hundreds of books and we still want more.  In many cases, we read a book more than once, especially those history-related or by favorite authors.

Target audiences is something to consider when writing.  I can't speak for any writer, but in my own case I never considered a particular audience.  In the writing of one's first book, how many considered the promotion aspect?  In my case, I expected the publisher to do the promoting.  What an awakening it was to find that if I wanted to sell my book I had to do it myself.  The PA publisher was interested only in selling to their authors.  POD publishing became a big thing.  New authors popped up everywhere.  How to sell became the subject of new authors and it continues to this day.  Funny how so many will say:  "I can't sell" and yet put themselves in the position of having to sell.  I don't mind selling and at one time made a living at it.  I sold a product - someone else's product.  Self-promotion was and is the greatest deterrent to selling my own books.  In fact, I stopped all self-promotion.  I also cancelled my website.  My books are listed on various websites along with the publisher.  The few sales I haved are hit and miss.  
What I do in the future will depend on how inspired I am to write and then only if I find a publisher or agent that will promote my work.  I belong to this forum for the information and friendship of other authors.  Learning doesn't stop even if writing for profit stops.  Of the authors who became authors around the time I did, I have yet to hear of any that can claim and substantiate significant monetary success.  Many will say that they don't write for the money.  I applaud them.  They wanted to write a book and did.  They are successful.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Not Rich Yet? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Rich Yet?   Not Rich Yet? EmptyThu Sep 17, 2015 8:57 am

Every day a local Kia car dealer has his stupid "huge" ads on tv several times a day - with his face and two women doing the talking.  He adds tv's, cruises, trips to resorts and ipads to the cars.  He's the biggest Kia dealer for miles around and is located in a hard to reach place.  My guess is the day he doesn't do those ads is the day his sales start slipping. I'll probably look at my next car there...

McDonalds, Subway, Burger King, the local Mattress City - the list goes on. They pummel the public with daily ads. Mattress City has the owner's son doing the ads - I've seen him age from a handsome teenager to an attractive middle-aged man - selling mattresses.  Same for Crowther, the local roofer and Cornerstone - I've seen Cornerstone's grand children grow up.

That's the reality.  Though books don't seem to have as many "ads," they are advertised in the stores that sell them, in the magazines for readers, through the reviews by known reviewers, through the talk on television talk shows, through the radio interviews - and then there's the movie - the more you hear the book's name and praise the more you want to read it - even if it's horrid literature like the infamous "50 Shades of Gray or Grey" or whatever. 

If you want a bookstore to carry your small press book, the first thing you have to do is show them your marketing plan.  If you are not marketing your book, it will not sell.

We thought when we first took pen in hand that if we had a great novel, the publisher would sell it.  We didn't, however, publish with a great publisher.  Even great publishers only push a novel for the first three months or so and then it's the author's job to continue.  They figure to make their bundle in the first three months.  Then they push the next author.

Before I found out that I wasn't a hot writer and PA would publish anything, I had a good PA editor and my book had few errors and was actually a long read with some great parts.  I believed the novel was great because I had good reviews and PA published it.  I sold it like it was great and sold a lot of copies, enough to get into Authors Guild.  And it started at $35 a copy.  I was in papers, on radio, on television, in newspapers, in restaurants, in local gift shops, I was everywhere with that book and all over the Internet.  Then I found out I was a lie - that PA published anything. It was like all the helium went out of my balloon. I was a fraud.  I was embarrassed.  I quit marketing - and the sales plummeted.

Fortunately, I looked for a publisher for Ghost Orchid with some credibility.  I loved Ghost Orchid and gave it the same push and sold a lot of copies.  Then, the publisher closed.  Again - no helium and sales and marketing dragged - and so did sales.

So, the secret to selling is marketing, regardless of the product.  No market, no sales. I hoped that Bamboo Ring would give Ghost Orchid a push...and it still may or the other way around.  However, if I am not every minute preparing new marketing - there are no sales.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Not Rich Yet? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Rich Yet?   Not Rich Yet? EmptyThu Sep 17, 2015 11:08 am

Whether we acknowledge it or not, we are all sales persons.  If we like a product, we tell others about it.  That’s selling.  There are those who promote their brand of religion by talking about it.  That’s selling. 

Although I have and continue to talk about books and authors that I like, I am willing to put a greater effort in promoting the book(s) of another author is they will reciprocate.  It is easier for me to talk up another author and their work than to toot my own horn.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Not Rich Yet? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Rich Yet?   Not Rich Yet? Empty

Back to top Go down

Not Rich Yet?
Page 1 of 1