Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Keeper Of The Stars

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

The Keeper Of The Stars Empty
PostSubject: The Keeper Of The Stars   The Keeper Of The Stars EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 3:57 pm

I think about our Alice learning The Entertainer for piano.  I am so proud of you, Alice.  I have very little rhythm and that is what that song demands.
I have not been dismayed, however, and have been trying to play The Keeper of The Stars.  It is a beautiful song and slow enough for my little old fingers.  It makes me smile a lot!  Not just the words, that are beautiful, but the little complexity of the left and right hand going together.  I remember when I smiled past the guitars and music books for my first piano lesson.  I have been a backslider for a few years, but this summer I have tried.  It has given me joy even though I am not very good at it.  Music rocks.  Love, Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Keeper Of The Stars   The Keeper Of The Stars EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 10:37 pm

Congratulations, Betty.  Learning anything as one ages is difficult.  Finger dexterity is just one of the problems.  When I was young, I took some piano lessons.  They were discontinued as my parents could not afford them.  I learned enough that I continued on my own and played many tunes by ear.  The songs I played were church songs and that pleased my mom.  When I had my own piano, I played for pleasure.  It was fun to learn and play familiar tunes.  Having moved often, I finally gave my piano to my daughter.  Now when I visit them, I sit and play the old familiar tunes.  I no longer have a piano.  My friend Hermann Frech said that the church is open and said that I could go in and play whenever I liked.  I was there just once.  As I played "Amazing Grace" I felt eyes staring at me. When I looked there were several people sitting at the back of the church listening.  Having someone watch me made me nervous and inhibited my play.  The onlookers were tourists walking by the church, heard the music and came inside assuming there was some service in process.  I find that I do much better playing alone.  Picking out new tunes means making many mistakes.  Having someone watching and listening makes it more difficult. 
Betty, the only person that need to please is yourself.  Trying something new can be exciting especially when it finally comes together.  Playing for your own pleasure is the important thing.  Performing for others is entirely different.
Keep doing what pleases you.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: The Keeper Of The Stars   The Keeper Of The Stars EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 2:11 am

What Abe said.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The Keeper Of The Stars   The Keeper Of The Stars EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 11:09 am

My dad was a classical pianist and earned a living playing honky tonk on the Holiday Inn circuit.  I always knew that one day I would sit down to a piano and sound like him.  I took lots of lessons - and it just didn't work for me.  I can play a few hymns and Christmas carols with practice.  And everyone is right, it is the pleasure of playing that matters, not the perfection.

I miss the days when every home had a piano.  My dad gave me his in the divorce when I was young, but I sold it for college money.  He lived his later years without that piano.  As an adult I felt guilty for not appreciating his gift.

So, I found a half-price keyboard that has all the piano keys and I have it in my office.  Every once in awhile I'll play, "When I Fall in Love" - my best and most melancholy song. 

So, Betty and Alice, I too wish I could play piano well, but I still plunk a key or two in remembrance of my dad - and hope springs eternal.  Enjoy your music and the fact that you can make music -
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

PostSubject: Re: The Keeper Of The Stars   The Keeper Of The Stars EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 12:30 pm

You all are such good, good friends to me.  Abe, you should get a Casio.  I think that is what DK is talking about.  I have one, but the old piano suits me better.  It is just music for myself, too.  My David has a nice guitar and he is learning to play it by himself.  His music sounds pretty good to me.  Like Abe, I would not like to play in front of people.  I would shake just like I do if I were to try to make a speech about my book. 
The nice thing about living in the wilderness is that it is quiet. 
I wish you had your dad's piano, too, DK.  I think I would have liked your father.

Love, Betty
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Keeper Of The Stars   The Keeper Of The Stars EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 12:21 am

Betty, I like the old pianos.  The problem with them is that they are very heavy and moving them is not easy.  Perhaps I'm drawn to the old stuff because it fits. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: The Keeper Of The Stars   The Keeper Of The Stars EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 7:39 am

I need to have our piano tuned.  it has been years since it was done.  We are having hardwood floors installed and work on the piano after.
 I,  like Abe, enjoy playing the old hymns.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

PostSubject: Re: The Keeper Of The Stars   The Keeper Of The Stars EmptyTue Sep 08, 2015 4:00 pm

Today the piano tuner came and spent three hours tuning this old piano.  He did an excellent job of it.  The Piano smiles when I hit a key.  What a difference it has made in it's attitude and mine.  It cost me 150 dollars.  Wroth every cent. I have not been able to play on it much because of making dinner and showering and stuff I do every night.  Tomorrow is a new day!  I look forward to it.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Keeper Of The Stars   The Keeper Of The Stars Empty

Back to top Go down

The Keeper Of The Stars
Page 1 of 1