Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Have You Cut The Cord Yet ? I Have !

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Have You Cut The Cord Yet ? I Have ! Empty
PostSubject: Have You Cut The Cord Yet ? I Have !       Have You Cut The Cord Yet ? I Have ! EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 5:59 am

8/8

Have you cut the cord yet ? Cable or Sattelite TV ? I have and they
                  didn't like it, when I called the young lady told me : " Sir are you 
                  sure you want to do this ? I said :" I look at it this way it's a luxury
                  not a necessity I'd rather have the $65- per month in my pocket
                  not yours !" Also at the same time I'm paying $65- a month for DSL
                  which I need to keep in touch with my friends and my photography 
                  and art sites. Here's the article people are dumping cable by the
                  thousands.....I now have Netflix ( $8.65 month and I also have Hulu
                  for $8.65 a month, all you can see, films, old shows, etc. Plus I see
                  news)

Cheers..Joe..... Very Happy

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/08/06/people-are-finally-panicking-about-cable-tv/21219406/?icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl21%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D1724484089
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Have You Cut The Cord Yet ? I Have !       Have You Cut The Cord Yet ? I Have ! EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 9:50 am

Joe, I want to do the  same but we have so many storms that I like to see the local weather and the news channels.

My bill is $145 for prism cable (through the phone), Internet and a land line phone that is good when the power is off.  Even if I drop cable, I have the Internet bill and the land line.

I had $75 when I had DISH, but every time a cloud went over, the tv went - so it was no use in storms at all.  This one at least stays on unless power is off in the whole city.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Have You Cut The Cord Yet ? I Have !       Have You Cut The Cord Yet ? I Have ! EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 11:54 pm

Don't have cable where I live.  Most everyone, self included, use a satellite dish.  It works well and is not subject to monthly costs.  It does have a few problems when it snows and the dish is covered.  Storms may cause it to flicker occasionally, but all in all, it works fine.
We pay a monthly fee for TV usage.  Everyone with a TV pays the fee.  That means TV without commercials.  There are some channels that are funded via commercials, but they are few.  The fee we pay is not much - much lower than those who pay for cable TV. 
In a capitalistic society, money is the driver.  Alternatives still exist, but I suspect they will eventually disappear.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Have You Cut The Cord Yet ? I Have !       Have You Cut The Cord Yet ? I Have ! EmptySun Aug 09, 2015 8:16 am

For many years past the normal person, I did not pay for cable tv or Internet.  Netzero had a free Internet dial up.  I paid for a land line phone at $25 per month.  My television only had a few stations that came through the rabbit ear antenna from Miami, Tampa, St. Petersburg and Public Broadcasting.  It was enough for me working many hours and only watching a bit in the evening or to get news or weather.  Weather never affected it since the antenna was inside.

Then, a few years ago, they implemented digital television and that changed the scene to very expensive.  First, I bought those boxes that were supposed to work with local stations and did not.  Then, I signed on to DISH, a satellite provider and have their dish still on my roof.  My bill has now grown from $25/month to the current $145 and my income has diminished.  There's something wrong with this picture.  I think a standard television fee for everyone who uses a television makes sense so long as it isn't atrocious.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Have You Cut The Cord Yet ? I Have !       Have You Cut The Cord Yet ? I Have ! EmptySun Aug 09, 2015 8:51 am

Diane,
I think we realize that money is the driver.  So many options each proclaiming that their method is superior.  There are simple solutions that would benefit the viewer, but unless they are money-makers, they are not introduced.
At first I objected to the fee charged to watch TV.  Once I understood and used the system, I changed my opinon.  When the main TV stations are part of the program, they receive enough income from the viewers that commercials are not necessary as a means of support.  There is one station that uses a combo.  When they have commercials they are either at the beginning of the program or at the end.  There is no interruption with commercials during the show/program.  This may have something to do with sports.  Fussball (Soccer) is a continuous running game without timeouts.  Commercials are at half-time or at the end. 
As with most things, change is made when enough people complain.  If you don't like something, say so.  If you have suggestions for a better way, say so.  Nothing changes by doing nothing.
Back to top Go down
Victor D. Lopez
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Victor D. Lopez

Number of posts : 984
Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Have You Cut The Cord Yet ? I Have !       Have You Cut The Cord Yet ? I Have ! EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 8:05 am

Joe,

They will call you in a few days to offer you a better deal. Bundles are great while they last. $65 for DSL seems steep. (Basic cable/phone/internet goes for around $100 a month for a year or so, and you can switch providers playing cable/satellite and your phone company off one another, switching to the best deal every year or so. Can you get Earthlink through your cable provider? You can check directly through them. I have it for I believe $35 per month and it works fine with Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming--and my wife and I are always on, one way or another. One thing I can't do without is my digital recorder--I refuse to watch commercial TV unless I tape first and skip the never ending commercials. Like DK I want local news and weather, though I usually get that better and faster online without the endless commercials and idiotic "when weather kills," "how weather killed the dinosaurs", "weather's impact on WW II" "what weather would be like if there were weather on the Moon" (yes, I'm making some of these up--but watchers of the Weather Channel will smile knowingly) and similarly inane, unrelated content instead of the actual weather.
Back to top Go down
http://www.victordlopez.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Have You Cut The Cord Yet ? I Have !       Have You Cut The Cord Yet ? I Have ! EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 3:16 pm

Would you believe - just talking about it and Centurylink Prism just cut my favorite three stations:  HDNET (movies without commercials), AXS.tv (concerts, interviews, etc.) and a third viewpoint station.  Just like that - here today, gone today.  When I complained they offered to shut off my service if I was so disappointed.  No customer service or caring whatsoever.

I'm ready to switch.  I need excellent DSL, a land line (maybe not...) and TV that runs underground in Florida - too many squalls that make it go "poof" for DISH or Direct TV
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have You Cut The Cord Yet ? I Have !       Have You Cut The Cord Yet ? I Have ! Empty

Back to top Go down

Have You Cut The Cord Yet ? I Have !
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: