Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

Heatwave

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10357
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Heatwave   Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:46 am

Europe is in the midst of a severe heat wave and people are suffering.† A few weeks ago the news talked about the heat in Pakistan and India where people were dying from the heat.† During Ramadan where people donít eat or drink during the day added to the casualties.† It seems that many Moslems donít understand what it says in the Koran about exceptions for emergency situations.
My wife is in the Klinik and there is no AC in her room.† Yesterday I bought a fan for her room.† I was lucky in that people were lined up to buy any remaining fans.†
In Germany, AC was never a big thing.† Even when it became hot it was for a short duration and people found ways to deal with the heat, as we have.† Going into the cellar was one option as it is always cool there.†

What I find bad is that hospitals lacked the foresight to install AC.† Heating systems are not built with ďforced-air duct systemsĒ common in the US, but rather with hot water heat registers.† Converting to AC where one can use the heating ducts is not a problem.† Installing AC where that doesnít exist is a major and costly project.†
My son returned from London on Friday to visit his mother.† He called while on the train asking to be picked up at the station.† He said that the AC on the train was not working.† Explanation was that certain systems overheated and therefore the AC didnít function. †Rather ironic considering one requires AC when it is hot.† My son has already come up with an excuse to remain here for a few more days since the office in London has just one small portable AC and is inadequate.† Also where he lives/stays, there is no AC.†

Perhaps with the adversity caused by the weather there will be changes made for the future. †For those who recognize that Climate Change is real, they will prepare.† I was fortunate to buy a car with AC.† Getting into a car that feels like an oven is not good.† Iím guessing that there will be an increase in the sale of deodorants.

I was fortunate to have purchased a portable AC unit for my house several years ago.† Window AC units common in the US donít work here.† The windows donít have the up and down slide.† To install a window-type unit means cutting a hole into a thick wall at considerable expense.† The unit I have is free-standing with a hose to vent hot air.† Opening the window far enough for the vent and then placing material around it to keep out the heat is working.† The water is collected in a pan at the bottom of the unit and must be empties when full.† It is working a providing relief for at least one room in the house where I spend most of my time. †My wife asked the Doctor if she could come home for the weekend and he said, ďNOĒ.† She is connected to a monitor and with the change and increase in medication, constant monitoring is necessary.† Drinking lots of fluids means she must make more trips to the toilet.† Every time she must go she rings the call button and someone comes to disconnect her from the monitor and then re-connect when she returns.† She asked them to show her how to disconnect and re-connect to avoid having to call them.† That was refused saying that they must do it.† The extra work required may also tend to bring change in procedures as well as a more habitable room for patients.† Ingenuity helps with finding ways to cool down.† Using a wet cloth on the body along with the air from the fan helps.

According to the weather report, England is also hit with the heat.† Perhaps Shelagh can enlighten us on how they are dealing with it.

For those who have a garden, that means lots of watering. †One must water early in the morning or late in the evening when the sun goes down. †The sun quickly dries the soil and we gardeners donít want to see our plants destroyed.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 12387
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Heatwave   Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:02 am

I've informed the Ormskirk police that the sun has been under house arrest somewhere over south west Germany. From the Ormskirk police Neighbourhood police team facebook page:

"We would like to send out an alert to all local residents. Someone appears to have stolen the sun. We are sending out this appeal to ensure if it is sighted, we can recover it and return it to its rightful place over West Lancashire. Have you seen it? Have you any idea who may have taken it? It is described as a large yellow ball normally situated in the sky and very hot when approached. We would recommend applying significant layers of suncrime if it is located. Any information that may help us locate it is gratefully received. Keep vigilant people! Have a peaceful crime free Sunday from all at Ormskirk police Neighbourhood police team "

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©Shelagh Watkins 2017
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10357
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Heatwave   Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:59 am

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Today, I prefer to see the moon.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8593
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Heatwave   Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:52 pm

I love that Shelagh.† How charming!† Isn't it interesting how some of us† have all the sun and others crave it.

I remember my son saying he had rain in Seattle, Washington for 40 days and 40 nights - that it would have been longer but an opening in the cloud was seen briefly over the airport so they didn't break a record - that was a few years ago.

We have sun every day with the heat zooming up to almost 100 and the humidity in hot pursuit.† It all started much earlier this year with spring nonexistent.† Fortunately, most afternoons we have quick squalls with thunder, lightning, some rain, some tornado threats (I had a little tornado right in my yard - twisted out a tree and knocked down my fence!!!).† Then it cools a few degrees.

Mom is hot in Michigan.† My friend in New York had all her windows open today to let in the fresh air without air conditioning (the European model).† She does have ac, but didn't need it today.

I remember Germany for two years in my Wiebaden apartment without air conditioning and it was fine!† We played games with sun and curtains and if all else failed we went to the park.

I had a garret apartment years earlier in Butzbach and it too was okay without air.† I can remember my worst complaint was no screens and little yellow bees that were a nuisance.† Also the landlady said I was a bad wife because I didn't hang my bedding in the window to air daily and I didn't scrub the three flights of stairs (I was at the top) daily.† I told her that there were two apartments below me and when they started scrubbing their levels I would scrub mine!
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 15421
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Heatwave   Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:27 pm

It is not raining in Seattle now and we miss it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heatwave   

Back to top Go down

Heatwave
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: