Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Exercise

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Exercise Empty
PostSubject: Exercise   Exercise EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 12:33 pm

I could sure use some encouragement about regenerating my exercise routine.  For several years I worked out three days a week at the Y in classes at my pace, a little cadio, a little weights and a little yoga.

Then, I was having trouble breathing and used it as an excuse to quit.  That was a year ago.

Three years ago was the last time I rode my bike.  I found it difficult because the tires weren't inflated well, so I quit. In the interim, I am now afraid to ride it.  What is they say, it's just like riding a bike - you never forget how?  Except I have had two friends lately with mangled bodies from bicycle rides.  They are improving.

What are you doing for exercise?  I walked on the beach several mornings with great joy - no one else on the path - and then a really strange man started following me and inviting me to entertain him in a way that was not flattering - just creepy.   I left the path for the beach and haven't returned.

I hate that I let another person ruin my joy - but safe is better.  Those types usually show up here in the busy season, it's too hot for anyone to walk on the path but people like me in the summer.

I need something fun but not too difficult to get back on the road to healthy.  Ideas and success are appreciated.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Exercise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exercise   Exercise EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 3:13 pm

My dad is ninety and he still exercises on a stationary bike. There are no weights on the bike so it's easy for him to pedal;  it keeps his circulation going and puts no strain on his joints. My husband uses a rowing machine. I try to walk daily, either to the local shops or a walk through the neighbourhood. I also do a lot of gardening.

Whatever you do, gentle exercise is beneficial provided you do it regularly. A fifteen minute jog will raise the heart rate sufficiently to gain a benefit from the exercise. A forty-five minute walk will produce the same benefit --the milder the exercise, the longer it takes to raise the heart rate. You can mix up the two depending on how much time you wish to spend on exercise that day.  Tennis is a good work out. You don't need to be good at it; the amount of time you spend retrieving the ball is all part of the exercise!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Exercise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exercise   Exercise EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 10:07 pm

Shelagh has good advice.
Age dictates what we can, should or should not do.  Jogging, according to my doctor, is not good.  Too much stress on the joints and can cause damage that reverses any benefit.
Walking, according to my doctor, is good. Even better is swimming.  
Swimming gives you all the benefits and in your case, it can provide you with the safety you need.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Exercise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exercise   Exercise EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 12:17 am

Adding to this thread.  I had to stop jogging as it was affecting my joints and lower back causing pain.  Fast walking gave me the same benefit without side-effects.
Thinking about this reminded me of an incident that happened while in the USAF.  I was on the Air Base track team.  We were in practice running to qualify for the next meet.  The guy who was a shoe-in to win was Leon Burrell.  In preparation for this event, I analyzed my running style and decided to adjust how I ran.  It was a matter of extending the stride without the shorter pumping motion.  The qualifying was for the ½ mile that consisted of two laps on the track.  In the first lap I stuck behind Leon and felt good.  On the second lap, I continued the new style extending my legs and began to gain on Leon.  Rounding the last curve, I passed Leon and the expression on his face was bewilderment.  When I crossed the finish line, the coach couldn’t believe what had happened.  I was selected to run the race for our competition.  In the process of winning the try-out however, I got shin splints.  The blood vessels in my feet broke and I could hardly walk for the pain.  The doctor said it would heal naturally, but to keep off my feet.  I had to withdraw from the competition.  The evidence of those shin splints is still visible to this day.
I often reflected of “what might have been” and was saddened that I could not continue running.  I still look back on my record in High School where I established a “High-Jump” record that held for more than ten years.  Jumping styles changed and that allowed for increased heights.  When I watch high-jumping today, the jumpers go over the bar backwards – something not even considered in my jumping days.  Jumping using the roll technique was the thing at that time. 
Competition has caused injuries to many athletes.  Training for health benefits should be done with caution.  Even competition against yourself can be harmful.  We want to see progress and become impatient thus over-extending ourselves.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Exercise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exercise   Exercise EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 5:53 am

Thanks for the suggestions and warnings.  I do have friends that garden at 7:00 a.m. when it's still 80 as opposed to later when the temp and humidity approach 100.  In the evening, the mosquitoes come out in droves.

A bike that doesn't travel is a good idea and would also help shape up for a real one.

I guess I'll need to walk on the treadmill since my beach walk soured.

More ideas about how you keep is shape are appreciated.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Exercise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exercise   Exercise EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 7:51 am

I, too, have a stationary bike. I ride it as I watch the news.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Exercise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exercise   Exercise EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 8:06 am

I have a stationary bike gathering clothes and dust.  The tension is too tight on it.  Seems like it is time to work on it and use it.  I think I'll pick up a couple 5 pound weights too.  I watch the news at 7 am.  That's a good time to do both.  Thanks for the ideas!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Exercise Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exercise   Exercise Empty

Back to top Go down

Exercise
Page 1 of 1