Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

Looking for Joy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 4322
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Looking for Joy   Sat May 23, 2015 5:41 pm

It is easy to find misery.  I believe it is a natural state.  People do have to look for joy in their life.
I got up this morning with , what I think may be, a fallen arch,  and it has progressed to this day after many days before, so that when I first get up I can barely walk to the bathroom.  After a while, it is better.  I think of Anne and her RA. 
I do not mean to complain.  I just wanted to say that it hurts. 

My garden is on the way out because of the heat (110 on the ground cover at noon) and I am working hard to dump all the old media that has been there for about 10 years.  It is full of weed seeds, bacteria, and other stuff too fierce to mention.  It is a large job to empty 6000 pots...A bigger job will be to fill them again.  And to find the money for the media is another thing.  I do what I can.  That is all I can do.  Each pot will have to be bleached and all the lines that lead to their irrigation cleared out with hydrogen peroxide. 

I do have a plan for this next season.  It does involve the online market and the local people...I hope.  I wish that I was about 30 years old.  It would make a lot of difference. 

About the joy.  I cannot improvise joy.  It is just some small thing that slaps me in the face every day. 
Love,

Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10307
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Joy   Sat May 23, 2015 10:46 pm

Betty, I know what you mean about joy/happiness.  We long for that feeling that can lift one out of misery.  Of course we all realize that without the misery we wouldn't know what joy is.  I think that both situations are needed in life. 
As for working when we get older, our minds say we can do it, however the body has limitations and we must listen to the body.  I am a person that feels the need to finish a project once started and that tends to make me go beyond what I physically can do.  I think I am finally getting to the point where I just stop when I feel exhaustion coming on.  There's always tomorrow, and if there is no tomorrow, it won't matter if I finish the job.  Working when fresh means more is accomplished and usually in a better fashion.  When one is tired, the ambition is to finish and at times it means taking short cuts or just being sloppy. 

There are no pat answers.  I think each person needs to listen to their body and do what feels right for them.  The consequences will be there whether they be good or bad.
Back to top Go down
Victor D. Lopez
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 984
Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Joy   Sat May 23, 2015 11:35 pm

Wise words from Abe. Betty, you are joy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.victordlopez.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 12352
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Joy   Sun May 24, 2015 4:23 am

If we could maintain our physical ability as we age, we would live forever. What a strange world that would be.

Here's a heartwarming poem for you, Betty:

If you work hard and do your best,
You'll get the sack like all the rest.
But if you laze and mess about,
You'll live to see the job right out.
The work is hard, the pay is small,
So take your time and sod 'em all,
For when you're dead you'll be forgot,
Don't try and do the bloody lot,
Or on your tombstone, neatly lacquered,
These three words:
"Just bleeding knackered."

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Joy   Sun May 24, 2015 5:59 am

Joyous:

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Joy   Sun May 24, 2015 6:19 am

Good thoughts and quotes, Shelagh.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Joy   Sun May 24, 2015 3:49 pm

Thank you all for the joy.  I do walk a little slower and have so much to be thankful for.  I will be better. 
Shelagh, you always have such kindness in your post.  I consider you an angelic  kind of person.  Abe, you have been where I am, for sure.  I try not to do a crappy job just because I am tired.  It is important to me. 
I put a wad of paper towels under my arch this day and it did feel a little better.  So, there is hope.  hahah.

Tomorrow is always a new day.  I do not know why all my painful things have to occur on holidays!

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Joy   Sun May 24, 2015 10:45 pm

Betty, it could be that one is more aware on holidays and thus feel the pain.  I find it strange how one tends to compensate for pain.  I have a problem with the sole of my right foot causing pain when I walk.  I find myself adjusting the placement of my foot to avoid the pain.  There is nothing visible and I can only guess what is causing the pain - I assume arthritis.  I'm scheduled for an MRT (MRI) in the middle of June for problems in my lower back.  I'll mention the foot problem when they do the body scan.
I hope you will take the time to relax during the holiday.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8593
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Joy   Tue May 26, 2015 12:48 pm

THIS IS WHAT I HAD AND THOUGHT IT WOULD NEVER GO AWAY. AFTER TWO YEARS OF UGLY TENNIS SHOES WITH UGLY INSERTS MY FEET ACT NORMAL AGAIN.  I STILL STICK WITH THE TENNIS SHOES AS THE PAIN WAS UNBEARABLE AT FIRST AND I THOUGHT I'D NEED A CAIN TO REDUCE THE WEIGHT ON THE FOOT. FORTUNATELY ALL IS NOW WELL. WHEW! GOOD LUCK TO YOU - CAN'T CHANGE THIS FONT FOR SOME REASON.

Topic Overview

Plantar fasciitis (say "PLAN-ter fash-ee-EYE-tus") is the most common cause of heel pain. The plantar fascia is the flat band of tissue (ligament) that connects your heel bone to your toes. It supports the arch of your foot. If you strain your plantar fascia, it gets weak, swollen, and irritated (inflamed). Then your heel or the bottom of your foot hurts when you stand or walk.
Plantar fasciitis is common in middle-aged people. It also occurs in younger people who are on their feet a lot, like athletes or soldiers. It can happen in one foot or both feet.
Plantar fasciitis is caused by straining the ligament that supports your arch. Repeated strain can cause tiny tears in the ligament. These can lead to pain and swelling. This is more likely to happen if:

• Your feet roll inward too much when you walk (excessive pronation ).
  • You have high arches or flat feet.
  • You walk, stand, or run for long periods of time, especially on hard surfaces.
  • You are overweight.
  • You wear shoes that don't fit well or are worn out.
  • You have tight Achilles tendons or calf muscles.

Most people with plantar fasciitis have pain when they take their first steps after they get out of bed or sit for a long time. You may have less stiffness and pain after you take a few steps. But your foot may hurt more as the day goes on. It may hurt the most when you climb stairs or after you stand for a long time.
If you have foot pain at night, you may have a different problem, such as arthritis, or a nerve problem such as tarsal tunnel syndrome.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Joy   Tue May 26, 2015 12:50 pm

i LOVE SHELAGH'S GRAMA MESSAGE.  I WATCHED A LITTLE BIRD BUILD A NEST OUTSIDE MY WINDOW - SUCH PERSEVERANCE AS THE TWIGS DROPPED AND HE DIVE BOMBED TO PICK THEM UP AND START OVER...
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Joy   Tue May 26, 2015 5:06 pm

Dear
DK
I believe that is what is wrong with me.  All the symptoms.  I will call my doctor.  I do not want to not be able to walk properly.  It feels like a heel spur. 
Love, Betty
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Joy   Wed May 27, 2015 2:37 pm

Dear Diane,
Thank you again for posting.  I was looking back at Carol and Anne and knowing that their conditions all started with foot complaints.  God bless them both!  I do believe that I have the condition.  My daughter was telling me that she had to wear a boot.  I do know it is painful beyond belief in the morning.  Boots are OUT.
I am a whiner and a complainer, I know.  I am glad that you are better.  It is hard to look forward to two years to heal at 72.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Joy   Wed May 27, 2015 3:34 pm

I suffered with a foot injury that took two years to heal, Betty. I didn't receive much sympathy, either! Never mind.

Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Joy   Wed May 27, 2015 5:29 pm

By the way, the dr. was all hot to give me cortisone shots and/or surgery but I only went to the doctor once.  I spent a fortune on a little rubber roller for exercise (use a rolling pin that you can make cold), a boot to sleep in that I couldn't sleep and still have - don't buy one.  If it's prescribed for you (one size fits all) I'll mail you mine.  It was expensive - but I may have thrown it away in disgust.  You do have to go to the doctor.  They do a sonogram and xray to be sure of what it is - and that's important.

What did me the most good was expensive tennis shoes with high heels and lots of arch support and gel inserts that totally cushioned my heels.  I also did the exercises with the expensive rubber roller with knobs on it that I kept in the freezer - and they did help.  The internet has the exercises.

The boot for sleeping is one size fits all - so if they try to sell you one let me know quickly.  It doesn't weight much. I think it helps some people.

If it is PF - if you don't do something you will continue getting worse.  

Nobody gave me any sympathy either. I could hardly walk at all and stayed home mostly at first with the little roller think for relief.  Then I had to stop myself from limping or end up with a crooked body.  Because I am overweight it was like I deserved foot trouble.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 15346
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Joy   Wed May 27, 2015 8:02 pm

I am so sorry for Betty and DK's foot trouble. Expensive shoes do help. Mephisto are very good.

I have not enjoyed my broken foot, but have gotten much sympathy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Joy   Wed May 27, 2015 10:32 pm

Alice, glad to hear you are making progress.  Being patient is a large part of the healing process. 
As for Betty and DK, I can relate to what was expressed.  Limping is natural to offset pain, but it doesn't solve the problem.  Learning the cause is the first priority.  I don't buy into that shit of "No pain, no gain."  Pain signals that there is a problem.  
Receiving sympathy is a comfort, but no solution.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Joy   Thu May 28, 2015 4:32 am

You are not quite there yet, Betty!

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Joy   Thu May 28, 2015 6:38 am

What Shelagh said.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Joy   Sat May 30, 2015 4:06 pm

Dear DK, Thank you for the offer of the boot.  My daughter thinks that will be part of the prescriptions.  I do dread it if it is.  I will let you know. 

This day I have canned 18 pints of green beans and 7 pints of green bean salad.  Tomorrow is the beets.  Canning plain beets and pickled beets and then on to the swiss chard and the mustard greens.  I am trying to preserve what is left after the online market shut down without notice.  I do hate waste.  After a little while, I have to give it up.  If I lived in a populated area, I would give it all away.  Eggplant is not my favorite, but I have bought the stuff to make eggplant lasagna and parmesean.  Sometimes I think I am a little mental about saving food.  Well, I know I am.
Love, Betty
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Joy   Sat May 30, 2015 11:16 pm

France has instituted a law that prohibits stores from throwing away good food.  If they can't sell it, it must be donated to those who can use it.
I have long wondered why so much food is allowed to be thrown away.  One example are airlines entering the US.  Fruits & vegetables are especially forbidden to enter the US.  Upon arrival, airlines must dispose of any remaining foods in various categories.  One way to handle such a waste of good food would be to have a special area reserved for the hungry to assemble at an airport and eat the food.  I'm sure there are other ways to handle it, but it would require someone with authority and a genuine interest in helping people to do this.
Grocery stores throw away much on weekends so that the shelves are empty to receive fresh goods to start the new week.  I was privy to such a situation where I live.  My family doctor owned a building that he rented for a grocery store.  He hired me to clean the parking lot and various other things.  On a Saturday morning, the store set-out all the goods they wanted to dispose of.  Before long, there were people lining up to take the goods.  I was able to take fruit, vegetables and bread home with me that my wife placed in the freezer.  Then the store prohibited people from taking the goods with the exception for a local nunnery.  The Sisters would come by on a Saturday morning and load their cars with goods.  I helped them load and they told me I could take what I wanted.  At least the produce wasn't going to waste.  I learned that the Sisters used the food for the poor and there was an area they set up each week for people to come and eat.  The store moved away when they built a new facility and this particular situation ended. 

There is much that can be done for the needy without spending money.  I hate waste and applaud France for taking a stance.  Perhaps it will set an example for other countries.  With all the migrants coming into Europe and the money required to house and feed them, at least some of the expense could be saved by using unwanted food.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for Joy   

Back to top Go down

Looking for Joy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: