Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

Refugees/Migrants

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10548
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Refugees/Migrants   Thu May 21, 2015 12:44 am

Refugees, Migrants are flooding Europe.  The Mediterranean has become a sea of migrants.  They are placed on bad (not seaworthy) ships that are most often overcrowded and sink.  European countries are placing ships in the area as a humanitarian gesture to recover survivors and bodies.  Many of those from the African continent wind up in Italy as it being the nearest port.  From Italy they are sent packing to other countries that are expected to house and feed them.  This morning’s news reported that a migrant rescued from the sea to be a wanted person responsible for the bombing/killing of many at the museum full of tourists in Tunesia last year.  The other three are still at large.  For criminals, this may be a new way to escape and gain entrance to other countries.  
I don’t remember the exact numbers, but the news reported the number of refugees/migrants, by country who are dealing with refugees.  It is now in the hundreds of thousands.  One can expect a backlash from citizens of these countries who are struggling to survive only to have the aid they need diverted.  When a country refuses to take more refugees, they are criticized.
Where I live, there are many refugees from Iraq as well as Syria.  How many Iraqi refugees has the US taken?  Since the US caused the refugee problem in Iraq, it is only right to accept some responsibility for these people.  JMO.

Israel is evicting Ethiopian Jews and announced a payment of more than $3,000 dollars per person who leaves.  On one hand, Netanyahu called for Jews to come to Israel.  He obviously meant white Jews.  Apartheid and racism exists.  One can only imagine what it would be like to be among those not wanted.  Seeking a better life is natural.  Do you refuse to take a person that no longer has a home?  Is it a religious thing or simply a humanitarian issue?  There are no simple solutions.  I personally believe that emphasis should be placed at the source of the emigration.  I think it is better to spend money that allows people to stay in their native home than to flee and be unwanted plus deal with the problem of a new language and culture.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Fri May 22, 2015 6:29 am

5/22

This is all true !  I was watching a film on Net Flex the other day, sorry
            Abe this may upset you but it was about forbidden love between a Palestinan male
            and a Isreali Male their love wasn't forbidden because they were gay, it was because
            one was a Jew and the other was an Arab, I couldn't watch it anymore because of the
             hatred....

Cheers...Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:06 am

Problems with migrants/asylum seekers are on the rise.  It is reported that former gang members in the migrant’s country of origin regroup when they arrive in Europe and pursue their gang-related activities.  Stores are broken into and the goods they take are stored in the housing provided for them.  The primary theft from stores is alcohol and cigarettes.  These gangs now go into the countryside and target seniors.  Warnings have been given not to open the door to anyone you don’t know.  If knocking on the door persists, call the police.  Incidents include beating up on seniors and robbing them.  Just this morning a young woman opened the door and was kidnapped. 
Leaving doors unlocked is no longer safe.   In small communities, most people know who their neighbors are.  Strangers are now looked upon with suspicion.  It has nothing to do with color, however in predominantly white neighborhoods; color can be a red flag.  Migrants from Africa are easily identified as such.  It is unfortunate that a few bad apples will spoil the barrel for the good ones.  It is difficult to ascertain who is truly migrating for a better and safe life and who is migrating for criminal purposes.   Not only is it a safety factor, but the money required to support the migrants are a detriment to the citizens who rely on aid for their own lives.  It is understandable and expected that a backlash will occur.  Turning people away is not the humanitarian thing to do, however the protection of citizens is a primary function of the government.  Those living on the outside are quick to point fingers and condemn a country that refuses to take more refugees.  The cost to accept newcomers is not just food and shelter, but also indoctrination as well as general education and vocational training.

Wars are the primary cause.  Palestinian, Syrian and Iraqi refugees are a burden.  Those who cause the wars should be required to take more responsibility.  And then there are those who want to engage in new wars/conflicts.   The cost of conducting a war is seldom considered while the cost of taking care of citizens becomes a big issue.  Wars seem to benefit the already rich and inflict more pain on those they profess to defend.

It is said that the migrants pay as much as $3,000 Euros per head for passage.  If they are so poor and impoverished, where do they get the money?  I suspect that some of the thefts could be attributed to paying off their debt.  That is pure speculation on my part; however the source of money remains a puzzle.  People smuggling is big business.  It also raises the question as to the plight of the women who are smuggled.  If we want to make war we should be making war against apartheid, genocide and human trafficking.
Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:18 pm

Abe,

There are an estimated 1.9 m refugees from Iraq...aproximately 203,000 outside of the middle east   Of those 119,202 are in the United States.  How many should we take in? Maybe if they stayed home and tryed to change their own country and took down a dictator and stopped killing each other because of religious differences, shut down the terrorists, there wouldn't have been a problem in the first place.

As for refugee/migrant gangs...we have the same problem from Haiti, Cuba, Russia and Albania!
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:31 pm

6/13

Don.....

Great Post..............

Cheers......Joe............
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:43 pm

Don, you make it sound so simple and logical, however it never works that way.  As for why there was problem in the first place, it was our interference that caused and/or exacerbated the situation.  Imagine going into a den of snakes and stiring them up.  When they come swarming out, you cannot put them back.  When I interviewed people before writing, "They Plotted Revenge Against America", I learned much about conditions in Iraq before our invasion.  It was much different inside than was portrayed by those on the outside.  We know now that Al-Quaeda was not in Iraq.  We also learned that ISIS didn't exist before our invasion and the snakes continue crawling spewing their venom.  Some people require a strong arm for control and Saddam Hussein did that.  He was no angel, and while he was harsh with those who disobeyed, he was also benevolent.  People had jobs, food and all the necessities of life.  It is a tendancy of people on the outside looking in to criticize and decide what would be better.  Trying to bring democracy to a people who don't understand the meaning of the word is not done by war, but by education.  It takes much time if it is to work. 
Hindsight is helpful in learning, but too late.  Foresight is needed for prevention.  Rushing into matters with the idea of a quick fix doesn't work.  Will we ever learn?
Back to top Go down
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:34 pm

Abe F. March wrote:
 Will we ever learn?
NO
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:22 pm

The news reports problems in London with Migrants.  Perhaps Shelagh can provide more insight than what the news reports.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 12498
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:35 pm

I don't understand the problem apart from the lack of border control at the border between France and the UK. Immigrants are supposed to be processed at the country of arrival. The migrants seem to view the UK as a a better bet than France. It all adds fuel to Ukip and the get out of the EU campaigners.

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©Shelagh Watkins 2017
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:29 am

The situation in Europe with regard to refugees/migrants has reached a crisis.  The hundreds of thousands that are coming to Europe are creating a problem not seen since the end of WWII.   Rescuing those who come in overcrowded boats is just another problem to deal with.  What to do with the migrants once they reach the shores of Europe is the biggest challenge.  This past week in France fights broke out in a facility housing Migrants.  Destruction of property is just one result.  It is reported that the cause of the fighting was over religion.  One man killed his wife – reason unknown. 
Based on reports, Germany has received the most Migrants to date.  It is estimated that there will be 800,000 in Germany before the end of this year.  Crossing borders is easy since the EU tore down the borders between countries.  Those who travel by road can be stopped and checked.  Those on foot can’t be stopped.  What happens when they arrive is just the beginning.  They require food, clothing and shelter and that is costly.  Integration into the society of any country takes time.  Finding a job without understanding the language is another obstacle.  The plight of the Migrants/Refugees is varied.  Some refugees, i.e., those coming from Syria are different from those who come for economic reasons.  From Syria, many cross into Turkey and from Turkey they go to Greece.  From Greece into Macedonia where fighting broke out with the Macedonian police trying to stop them.  TV reports showed the plight of families being split up where some members of a family got through the border and the rest left behind as they migrate farther into Europe.  
Governments in Europe are busy trying to find a solution.  Coping with the influx of these people is no easy task.  Even where housing is found for some, they don’t fit in.  Fighting among themselves along with theft in the local communities cannot be tolerated.  Once peaceful communities are now less than peaceful.   Before integration of these Migrants can happen, it would be better in my view, to separate them on a religious and culture basis.  That could help eliminate the fighting among themselves and protect the local inhabitants.  My comment is not suggesting that they lose their culture, but allow enough time to acclimate.  Since they share the same dilemma, it may be comforting to be with those who share the same religion & culture.

Dealing with the source of the problem is still the main issue.  The situation is Syria is far from over.  Seeing ancient structures and artifacts destroyed that has been standing for thousands of years is horrible.   History repeating itself over religion appears to be the primary cause.  Then there is the issue of Dictators who want to hold onto power at the expense of their own citizens. 
Is it any wonder why so many in the world are turning away from religion?  One does not need a religious philosophy to be spiritual.  It is another reason to fight against religious extremism in our own country.   Keeping religion out of government is a big step toward prevention of religions fanaticism.  Proponents of religion in government mean well and try to insert their beliefs in seemingly small ways.  “In God we Trust” on our currency seems harmless enough.  Including “under God” in our pledge of allegiance seems harmless.  These small steps can lead to larger steps in the erosion of “separation of church and state”.   Tax-free church status further promotes religious philosophy.  Tax-free status of ministers who live in mansions and have private jets at their disposal is a disgrace to their profession.

Displaced persons – “Refugees” are suffering.  What are the churches doing to help these people?  Claiming to follow the teachings of Christ is not reflected in actions.  

Research the cause/creation of ISIS.   Turning a blind eye to evil and the evil doers is no solution.  Those who care speak out.  Silence can be perceived as condoning evil acts.  It doesn’t matter what country supports terrorism, but it does matter if we don’t express our views against it.  We all like to view our country as good and above reproach, unfortunately that is not always the case.   Be proud of the good we do and get pissed-off at the bad we do.  Everyone makes mistakes.  Admitting a wrong is the first step to healing.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:03 am

I am very poorly informed on these issues.  They include hatreds, religions, prejudice, poverty, wars, politics and multiple causes that are so very complex.  I remember when the Cubans flooded Miami and the governor of Florida was demanding federal help because Florida couldn't provide for them all - and that included criminals.  For years, there was the "one foot" rule as shabby craft made the crossing.  I don't know that status - we have a lot of coastline.  I know Eastern Europeans have been known to jump ship but are more easily assimilated than those of color. 

Mass communications have made a big difference.  Now people know they are not stuck with their lot in life and are driven to improve based on what they know from television, radio, and the Internet.  It's a modern version of the early days in the U.S. when immigrants poured into New York - the grandparents of many of us, to escape political deaths and famines.

Of course, a novel idea would be for the countries of the world to open their borders everywhere so all people had free movement just as we have among the states and is now possible in Europe.  Let everyone compete for jobs and markets. Let country of birth have no meaning.  The only meaning would be education and credentials for seeking employment.  Let all those who hoard the world's resources and wealth share a greater portion with the needy instead of raping the earth for their own gain and giving nothing back to the citizens of the countries.

Knowledge is power - and the displaced people of the world are learning their power not to be trapped in warfare they did not create or poverty they didn't choose.  The accident of birth is no longer a death knell for those that attempt escape. 

Judgement against immigrants is harsh because the developed countries don't need railroads built or mines worked or manufacturing lines filled - we've barely enough employment for the lower and middle classes as it is, with all the wealth at the top.

We all want to keep what we have at whatever level we live and feel threatened when someone wants what we believe is "ours."  The reality is that all things in this life are transient - not material wealth is guaranteed to last - just as the stock market took a dive today.  Better to get into a spirit of giving than hoarding...I mean how many $billions does it take for a house, a car and a few vacations?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:11 am

What no one is talking about.

Imagine thousands of people huddled together without any toilet facilities.  Where do they go when nature calls?  I can assume that they go where ever they find a spot and depending on the urgency at the moment.  Consider also that they are not carrying toilet tissue.   Consider further the small infants without the means to wash them.  Those with small children know how easy it is for an infant to get a rash. Then there are the women who may be menstruating without the means to wash.  When these people arrive at any location, one can imagine the stench that arrives ahead of them.  If there is a welcoming committee, do they receive these people with open arms or turn their heads and cover their noses?  There is mention of providing food and clothing, but no mention of facilities for a shower/bath.  It was fortunate that it rained and some were seen to be washing themselves in the rain.  If they pass a body of water, they use that.  In the region near the Alps, the weather has already turned cold, especially at night.  Blankets and heavier clothing are needed and some have provided these supplies, but that does not quell the stench.  Disease can easily be spread from unsanitary conditions and that is also a concern with the arrival of the Migrants. 

Buses arrived in Austria today carrying thousands of migrants from Hungary and the Austrian Red Cross was there to receive them. 

EU Rules require that all new arrivals into the EU be registered.  Until they are registered, they are not permitted to stay.  Those that refuse to be registered become suspect.  What I find strange is that some of the Migrants are carrying Cell phones/I-Pads.  Where do they get them and who is paying for the calls they make?  I suspect that some may be provided by ISIS and are using the migration to infiltrate. 

The Migrant situation is not just a monetary problem with food, clothing and shelter, but also it necessitates a program to process these people.  Language is just another problem in completing that task.  Healthcare screening is a necessity.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:20 am

Dick Stodghill wrote about the problem without a shower for weeks during his stint in the Army.  Don Stephens also mentions that in his books.  After a time, one becomes adjusted to body smell when one is part of it.  I recall vividly the stench from the Refugee Camps in Lebanon.  One could smell the stench from blocks away and the heat made it worse.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:51 am

No one talks about those things because they are abhorrent.  I remember an article about a man in Fort Myers who set up a vehicle equipped with many showers and took it to where the homeless are found if one looks.  He also took clean clothes.  A simple gesture for a few forsaken people but their gratitude was immense.

The answer is no wars.  Yes, I believe refugees fleeing war and poverty are the target of fanatics who pay them to fight.  I believe you are right about the cell phones. 

When we are faced with war or political campaigns, $billions come forth from somewhere.  This is a humanitarian crisis just as in Africa and other parts of the world.  The world is waking up to the fact that everyone doesn't live in filth and poverty - and those who are hoarding it all and exploiting the resources of the world need to take note.

But they won't.  They will  pay $billions to celebrities and live in bubbles and let the rest of the world fight it out and die for their troubles.  We talk but we do nothing because we feel powerless.

Then there's that guy with the shower van helping a few desperate people at a time.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:00 am

I used to teach English at night. Most of my students came at 7:00 after working in the fields all day - they came straight from their bus to learn English to better their lives.

The smell in the room was unbearable.  I drove the custodians crazy demanding more air and air fresheners to combat the odor of honest, working sweat. 

I also attended their local church on Sunday.  They were hardly recognizable in their pressed suits accompanied by their families in Sunday best, the children with ribbons in their hair.

In this day of technology and trips to outer space, showers and portable toilets are available for concerts and events for tens of thousands of people.  I remember on an island beach in Korea there was a women's shower tent and a men's shower tent.  Inside was one pipe with many shower heads.  It did the trick to wash off the salt water.

Few public beaches in the U.S.are without showers and some sort of chemical toilet.

Refugees are not a new phenom.  Someone - always "someone" isn't it - and it's usually the Red Cross - where are all the Christians?  Someone needs to help those people.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:10 am

DK.  It is abhorrent.  I am opposed to war as often stated.  Efforts for peace and diplomacy is more difficult than rushing into a shooting match.  That shooting match means big bucks for the war mongers.  I applaud and admire those who go the extra mile for a peaceful solution.  I applaud President Obama for the deal reached with Iran and the opposition he faced and still faces.  We know who wants war and why.  I think we owe it to our fellow man to speak out loudly and clearly as often as we can to avert war.  It is interesting to observe how those close to battle and/or those who experienced war strongly oppose war.  It is the countries farther removed that pound the war drums.  Is it no wonder why the European countries have given their support to Obama's efforts for the Iran deal.  They are more in tune with the meaning of war. 
Refugees from Iraq caused by GWB's invasion are still a problem with no solution in sight.  Bush and Cheney have still not been brought to justice for their crimes against humanity.  Cheney made hundreds of millions off the war.  He should be forced to send his blood money to Iraq and then be jailed. At least it would give those suffering some relief.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:22 am

DK.  I feel your frustration.  Technology and equipment are available to handle situations like this.  Why is it not being used?  It gives one the impression that some simply don't care.

I don't know if you saw the photo of the child lying on the beach having been washed ashore from a capsized boat full of migrants.  The story I heard today on the news is that it was a Syrian family who had requested asylum and wanted to go to Vancouver where they had relatives.  Their request was denied.  I can imagine how the relatives in Vancouver felt when they saw the photo of the dead child and how they must feel about the authorities that denied the request.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:02 am

We have seen dying children in Africa for years.  We seem unmoved that children die the world over, even here, from poverty.  I guess it's because living in a bubble of excessive wealth gives people immunity to the pain of others born into different choices and lives.

We are so concerned with deficits and not increasing taxes that we let the nation's infrastructure rot, the education system languish in inequality based on location, and programs that feed hungry children and disadvantaged adults are cut.

Those are the obvious disparities.  They do not reduce the country to "not great." They challenge the politicians to get off their duffs and tax those who can afford to contribute for the wealth they have accumulated from our "great" country buying their products and using their services and working at subsistence wages while the executives earn astronomical incomes for their lives - even when fired for malfeasance.

Bernie Sanders does speak for the common man and has real proposals for change.  My only problem is that he is so strong in his beliefs the lack of cooperation he will receive from Congress will just make his plans so much dust in the wind and nothing will change.  Also, it takes cooperation from the wealthiest 1% who control everything to make any changes.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:05 pm

Looking at the Flipside of Migrants.

Most of the Refugees are coming from countries dominated by Muslim Extremists - ISIS.  ISIS encourages them to leave and I suspect may even help to pay their fare.  Once those who oppose ISIS are out of the country, ISIS takes over completely.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

The great Exodus continues in Eastern Europe while the GOP Presidential circus diverts attention from the on-going human tragedy.  Borders have been closed in some countries and registration is finally being enforced.  In Bavaria alone there are some 300 smugglers sitting in jail.  With registration and some interrogation, smugglers are being identified.  One Refugee was heard to say that he wanted to go to Germany because they gave you a house.  Mis-information most likely propagated by the smugglers has increased the flow into Germany.   Border fences are not effective as many are making their own trails into Europe. 
Meetings are held with EU leaders on how to deal with the crisis.  Stopping the flow is center to the discussions.  Doing the right thing is not easy.  Outside pressure and public opinion plays a large role.   Countries taking a tough stand are open to outside criticism especially from countries not affected by the influx of these migrants.  Yesterday, in one small village in southern Germany several thousand migrants suddenly appeared overwhelming the town.  What can or should one do in such a situation?  Rolling out the welcome mat means taking responsibility.  Turning people away has political consequences. 
Dealing with the cause of the problem, IMV, should have the highest priority. 

I read some comments on FB this morning where some indicated that they will leave America if Trump is made President.  Where will they go?  If they intend to go to Europe they should be making their plans now and securing a place to live before there is no place available.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:25 am

The saga of the Migrants continues.  As I write this, thousands are gathering in Turkey getting ready to march.  It is becoming evident that Angela Merkel made the greatest blunder of her time in office.  When she opened her arms and declared that the migrants are welcome, she did so without consultation with other European countries and without conditions.  Individual countries are taking measures against the influx of migrants and are closing borders.  It is the responsibility of government to take care of their own citizens and cannot allow the influx to jeopardize that.  Measures are being taken to thwart the unmanageable influx, however in doing so there is and will be a backlash, not only from the migrants but also by countries on the outside looking in.  It is easy to criticize and criticism is welcomed when done with an offer to help.  The offer to help is not always financial, but ideas that may be used to assist.
The fear of extremists/terrorists being mixed with the migrants is very real.  How to weed them out is not an easy task and it is time-consuming.  Registration is the first step.  While waiting to be registered, the migrants require food and shelter.  When thousands of people gather in one place one doesn’t need pictures to appreciate the problems they create.  Health issues resulting from the lack of sanitation facilities along with the litter generates animosity by the local population against the migrants.  Welcoming someone with open, although a humanitarian gesture is not wise.  Is the inscription on the Statue of Liberty still valid?

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses, yearning to breath free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”  

If one thinks that the influx of Mexicans into the US is unfettered and that a wall needs to be built to keep them out, I suggest that the inscription on the Statue of Liberty either be taken down or updated to reflect today’s attitudes. 

When I heard Trump say that he would build a wall and that he would have Mexico pay for it, I found that amusing.  I imagined Mexican labor being used to build the wall from the American side and when the wall is finished, claiming that they can’t re-enter Mexico because of the wall.  Walls can be used as a temporary control measure, but not as a long-term solution.  In the long term, tearing down walls is more important than building them.  A permanent wall signifies a lack of freedom and can be used to keep people in or out. 
A fence is a temporary restraint – a delaying obstacle.  Someone will always find a way around it.  If you recall your history, France built the Maginot Line to keep out the Germans.  It was a costly project with underground facilities to house, feed and care for the soldiers defending the line.  The Germans went around the line or flew over it.  It didn’t work.  Today it is a tourist attraction and should serve as an example that barriers are a temporary inconvenience.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 15622
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:31 pm

Trump is an entertainer.  He is a very good one too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:59 pm

I have no problem with Mr. Trump.  He made a lot of money, used it to create influence and readily admits it.  The governor of Florida bought his governorship with his own money after his own CEO responsibilities were left questionable from an ethical and financial perspective.  Trump is buying the presidency.  If that many U.S. citizens are willing to sell him the presidency, what can the rest of us do?  Revolt?  Leave the country?  His poll standings relate to the degree of hate and prejudice seething below the surface of the U.S., the emotional fears of a nation that is changing faster than the populace wishes to see.  If they elect this totally unsuited person, that's the will of the people.  How can he be worse than President Bush - you know, the one that kept us "safe" - oh, except for 9/11.  Oh, except for the safety of the young men and women sent to the wrong place to get even. They weren't very safe.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:37 pm

DK, you are usually very clear with your posts.  This post however is confusing - at least to me.  On the one hand you say you have no problem with Trump, however you state that he is "totally unsuited". 
When you have a person that is considered unsuitable and in the case of Trump I agree with you.  Revolt may become the only remaining option to preserve and protect our country.  We have a voice and can use it to inform.  That is something we must do now.  It takes time for people to digest information especially information that may contradict their personal views.  Political propaganda is ramping up.  Using a smattering of truth to cover up lies must be exposed. 
If one cares about their country, it is time to speak truth and be prepared to back it up with facts.

Today we have the capablity to do much research.  A simple Google inquiry will get one on a path to search further.  There is no excuse for anyone to remain ignorant.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:37 am

The migrant/refugee situation is creating new problems with the public.  The older folk remember the aftermath of the war years and being homeless.  They understand what being without food, clothing & shelter means; however their reaction is much different than that of many seeking refuge today.  It was reported by those who have been designated to provide housing and care, the reaction of some.  When one family was offered an apartment, they complained that the rooms were too small.  The apartments come furnished with good used-donated furniture.  These refugees didn’t want to accept the apartment with used furniture and wanted new furniture.  Situations like this tend to cause a change in empathetic attitudes. I believe that some of these negative attitudes can be attributed to promises made by the human traffickers who made outlandish promises of what the migrants could expect in order to collect their fee.

My wife and I were discussing this reaction and she told me how it was after the war in Germany and what is was like being homeless.  The government required that people with large houses make rooms available to the homeless.  My wife, her brother and parents were placed in a house with three other families.  There was one bedroom per family.  These families shared a bathroom and kitchen.  It was not convenient, but they made it work being appreciative of having a place to stay.  Some years ago I attended a reunion with my wife and her school friends, most of which had similar childhood experiences.  A man sitting at the next table turned to me and said:  “I want you to know that I took a bath with your wife.”  That floored me until it was explained that he and my wife were about six or seven years old at the time taking a bath in the same tub when their families shared the same house.  We had a good laugh about it.  It was a reminder of how far they all came since the war years and how much they appreciate what they have today.  The man who made that remark has since passed away.

I mention the above as a reminder that when one hears reports in the news about acceptance or rejection concerning the refugees, not to form opinions without greater understanding of the circumstances.  Just as the remark “I took a bath with your wife” was a true statement, there was more to the story.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Refugees/Migrants   

Back to top Go down

Refugees/Migrants
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: Current Events-
Jump to: