Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

Olive Trees

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10591
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Olive Trees   Sun May 17, 2015 9:21 pm

Just heard on the news that Israeli Settlers destroyed 800 Palestinian Olive Trees.  This is not the first time that destruction of trees and farm products of Palestinians have been destroyed.  Considering that it takes at least 5 years for an olive tree to bear fruit just adds to the tragedy.  One can imagine how much more hate this action has caused.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Olive Trees   Fri May 22, 2015 6:31 am

5/22

This is a disgusting act ! Just as bad as those nuts destroying history in Syria.

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10591
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Olive Trees   Fri May 22, 2015 11:11 pm

Agree Joe.  My daughter is visiting and we discussed the situation of Palmyra, Syria.  She recalls a field trip there with her school when we were in Beirut.  She said, "Fortunately I have photos of that trip and who knows, someday they may become significant if ISIS destroys these historical sites."
Antiquity is something we read about.  Sites in Iraq and other areas along with artifacts have been destroyed.  Things that have been standing for thousands of years now gone.  Sad beyond belief.

We miss things when they're gone.  How can one acurately describe those who destroy?  When a life is taken it cannot be returned or replaced.  What we have are memories.  Photos become a treasure of remembrance. 

I oppose war and destruction.  One can only fully appreciate a situation when one is in it or have acquaintances who are living the tragedy.  I can't erase the things I saw/witnessed.  I can't ignore what is happening on a daily basis in the M.E.  Historians will write about it and many will say, "Why didn't someone do something?"  The only weapon the average person has to fight it is our voice and that is the main reason I continue to speak out against Apartheid and the destruction occuring in Palestine.  When enough attention is given, perhaps action will be taken to stop it.  That is my continued hope.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Olive Trees   Tue May 26, 2015 2:00 pm

At last I have lived long enough to know that each of us values things differently.  To me, the plumeria tree outside my office window shades my office from the glaring Florida sun from the west in the afternoon and the golden flowers hold the sunlight into the evening.  Little birds chase each other through its limbs.

To my son, it was an ugly collection of bare limbs (it was not in bloom) that led to the roof and provided a wonderful walkway for the ants, bugs, and small critters who did damage to the the roof and the attic.  He saw it as a disaster in a real storm, likely to beat the edge of the roof with the towering limbs that had grown quite thick over the last twenty years.  He saw a root at the edge of the base of the house, likely running under the house and threatening the foundation.

I only learned his view after I sobbed and carried on when I looked out my window to see only a few remaining limbs after he had chopped most of it away, leaving only a few sparse limbs.

My anger was great.  I was emotionally tied to that tree that made many afternoons stuck in my office at the computer more pleasant and even joyful. 

Two people saw that plumeria through entirely - entirely - different perspectives.  Neither was wrong, yet I felt wronged.

And now for the "rest of the story."  The limbs he cut and piled in the back unknown to me were still there a year later.  I saw them when the tall weeds were whacked away, revealing the fence and the pile of limbs - with buds on the ends.  I looked it up on the Internet and found I could plant each limb and might get a tree - some are doing quite well.

The main tree?  Well, it's not the same, but it did fill out some and a little bird did build a nest for my enjoyment.

I only see the philosophical piece of this story because I am not longer as young and hot-headed as I once was.  I try to let things pass and move on rather than waste energy where I have no control - where the damage is already done.  I have also learned that I am absolutely correct in my point of view - and so are you in your absolutely opposite point of view.  We are correct in what we understand by the information we draw to support our conclusions.  Only if we reach for new and opposition information with a desire to change our point of view will it change.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Olive Trees   Tue May 26, 2015 2:02 pm

Joy?  Only in Florida.  It is pouring rain like blown glass strips, as the sun is brightly shining at the same time, glistening off those large green leaves on what's left of my plumeria.  There must also be a grand rainbow.  I must run outside and look for it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Olive Trees   

Back to top Go down

Olive Trees
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: Current Events-
Jump to: