Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Share | 

What's New?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10221
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: What's New?   Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:56 pm

Information/News

I found it frustrating in trying to get information on the news during my stay in the US.  I had forgotten the numerous commercials that interrupt programming.  Bits and pieces of headline news are not informative.  Upon my arrival in Europe yesterday I was quickly brought up-to-date on world events.  The events in Baltimore began while I was in Virginia.  My grand daughter was on a field outing with her school to Baltimore.  They saw a baseball game and couldn’t leave the stadium until the police had given the okay.  We learned about this event with a phone call from our Natalie.  I read the Washington Journal the following morning and gained more information than what could be gleaned from TV news.  This morning, I hear of the continued riots with looting and fires in Baltimore.  The war on terror comes in many forms.
Most often we learn more from the written word than from verbal reporting that is usually sensationalized with repetition of headlines between more commercials.  I did find some of the commercials entertaining.  They tell their audience how much they can save if they purchase now – usually 20 to 50%.  In my view, people can save 100% if they don’t buy. 
It seems that most are so accustomed to advertising that they accept it as the norm and use the time allotted to commercial interruptions to get a drink or a snack.  
We are entering the period of war anniversaries.  Seventy years since WWII.   Forty years since the Vietnam War with the aftermath of continued suffering.  Agent Orange is still felt with birth deformities and other related illnesses.  When wars are declared over, it should be understood that the shooting may be over, but that the effects of the war continues. 
It is true that “No news is good news”.  We rarely hear of good news and when we do, it is not headlined or repeated.  In that regard, with bad news, it may be better to view a commercial.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 8586
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: What's New?   Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:10 am

When I lived on the sailboat, I had news once a day in the morning when I tuned in the BBC, radio Moscow and Beijing and AFRTS on the single sideband with all its crackling.  From those sources, I gleaned a few bits that I would share in the harbor with other boaters who had lesser receiving equipment - that was in 1988 - imagine.

That was it for our news.  Instead we were occupied with life.  Food, travel, friends, family, books, writing, repairing things, making things, playing games, sailing, diving, snorkeling, swimming, hiking, exploring, catching rainwater, navigating -

I wonder sometimes if all this news is good for us.  We can't do anything with it.  Wouldn't it be better to have news reported in a way that included potential action plans for people to have a part in making the world a better, more peaceful place?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 15294
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: What's New?   Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:31 am

We are overly bombarded with news of things which we can do nothing about. Abe is right, commercials are better. DK is right too, it would be better to have news reported in a more positive manner.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 12306
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What's New?   Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:32 am

There is such a thing as knowing too much.

Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: What's New?   Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:33 pm

Shelagh wrote:
There is such a thing as knowing too much.

For sure.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: What's New?   Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:18 pm

And the repetition is boring.
Back to top Go down
DMPierson
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2012-07-27

PostSubject: Re: What's New?   Sun May 03, 2015 4:27 pm

My viewpoint on today's news media is that they are trying to beat into your head the idea that "you are not safe".  Why?  I have no idea.  Maybe they secretly want a totalitarian government.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 10221
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: What's New?   Sun May 03, 2015 9:30 pm

DM, you are right.  The fear factor is used by politicians.  Al Gore talks about that in his book.  We are manipulated by inuendo and seldom have the chance to challenge news reports.  The written word is a safer source.  "What one says disappears, what one writes, stays."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's New?   

Back to top Go down

What's New?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: