Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Days of Rock and Roll

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Charlie Moore
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Charlie Moore

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-08-06

The Days of Rock and Roll Empty
PostSubject: The Days of Rock and Roll   The Days of Rock and Roll EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 10:07 am

We all have something that motivates our written word. Often, for me, the stories I create have their genesis in the music I listen to. As a product of late 60's and 70's music many of the lyrics of that era have influenced several of my books and short stories. Too Much Love was inspired by a song sung by the group Bread as one example.

Some of the music I enjoyed included REO Speedwagon, Styx, Elton John, the Beatles, Buddy Holly, The Guess Who, CCR, Eagles, Lynard Synard, as well as many others.

Currently I'm writing Origin of Storms. This title also taken from the lyrics of a favorite Blue Oyster Cult song.

Do any of you use music as a prompt of ideas. If not, where does your inspiration come from.

Just curious.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The Days of Rock and Roll   The Days of Rock and Roll EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 10:56 am

My inspiration comes from nature.  My ideas come when walking in the swamp, by the beach or in the mountains.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The Days of Rock and Roll   The Days of Rock and Roll EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 12:41 pm

There was an old roll-top desk in the sitting room at my grandparents' farm.  I was exploring one day, opened the top, and found a huge stack of old, yellowed paperback books, western novels, most of them written by authors named Max Brand, Luke Short, and Zane Grey.  I was fascinated my them.  About the same time, when at home, my mom had figured a way to have her Saturdays relatively free, by giving my brother and me a half dollar each and shooing us out toward the neighborhood cinema, for a day that ended with double-feature western films.  As I grew older, the emphasis shifted to general historical novels, mostly taking place in the medieval British Isles, with heroes ranging from Robin Hood and King Arthur to Llewellyn the Great.

I had what Texans might call a hankering for heroes, and I found them, mostly, in stories and legends of the past.

In college I studied both history and literature, and was happiest, in the years after, teaching literature from a historical perspective.  And my quest for heroes led me into mythological stories, and the concept of comparative mythology, where I came to see that we all share the same stories.  Oh, there are surface differences from culture to culture, but, at bottom, they tend to teach the same basic truths, it has always seemed to me.

At that time, I kept journals.  I was a single parent by this time, and my journals were my therapy - a way of staying sane and together so that I could do my job and look after my family without losing it, whatever "it" was at a particular time.

Writing my own stories, at that time, was still a dream, though my journals often included poems and stories - hero stories mostly, composed in what little time off I had from my job and my children.

So, writing stories was an outgrowth of the circumstances of my life, and my preferred methods of escaping when the realities of it became a little too harsh.

With all that taken into consideration, I think my stories are mostly character-driven, even though the settings are primarily in the historical past.  One of the modern writers whose work I enjoyed was Earnest Hemingway, and what fascinated me most about his stories was how much of the plot and characterizations were told through dialog - revealing conversations that went on between characters.  I love writing dialog - I get lost in the conversations that just seem to arise and take over once I have come to know the characters involved.

Sorry, Charlie.  I'm sure this is a much more involved response than you were looking for.

(I'm also glad that "Shutters and Boards" was one of your favorite songs from that era.)

Annie
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Charlie Moore
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Charlie Moore

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: The Days of Rock and Roll   The Days of Rock and Roll EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 4:09 pm

I listened many times to Charlie Pride singing the song not knowing all that time of Audie Murphy's being the author. My grandparents also had many Zane Grey and Max Brand westerns. Mostly I enjoyed Louis L'Amour's books.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The Days of Rock and Roll   The Days of Rock and Roll EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 4:15 pm

I liked Louis L'Amour, too. They came along later.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: The Days of Rock and Roll   The Days of Rock and Roll EmptyTue Apr 29, 2014 5:28 pm

I would have to say my lone-ness focused my daily eye on the nature around me.  My dog, Wooffer was an inquisitive puppy.  A gift he was in the desperation of my life.  He saved me.  He did that with the pure joy of living that he had.  He lived for 17 years and was my best friend.  He showed me the way to live every day with joy.  He gave me my voice.  there is more to say, but this is the core of it.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Days of Rock and Roll   The Days of Rock and Roll Empty

Back to top Go down

The Days of Rock and Roll
Page 1 of 1