Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED

Go down 
+3
dkchristi
Shelagh
Domenic Pappalardo
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 7:11 pm

It didn't work. You do know I'm going..."Duh?"
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 9:20 pm

Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 2:30 am

Domenic Pappalardo wrote:
It didn't work. You do know I'm going..."Duh?"

Watch LC's video in the above post (click on the big arrow on the Photobucket video).
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 8:17 am

I see what LC is doing, and I can do that. I can even past & copy without the special.
The calculations I need to put in the book are more complex.

Try using your system with square root- line[ and under the line another square root symbol. I can't even past it on the forum.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 8:55 am

Quote :
Try using your system with square root- line[ and under the line another square root symbol. I can't even past it on the forum.

But is it written correctly somewhere already? In an existing Word doc or hard copy? If so, then bring THAT into a new Word doc. Scan it (by scan, I mean use a scanner to digitize the hard copy, not scan as in highlighting text), save it as a png, and then bring that png into the new Word doc via the Paste Special function.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 8:55 am

I see what LC is doing, and I can do that. I can even past & copy without the special.
The calculations I need to put in the book are more complex.

You don't have the skills to do this, Domenic.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 9:15 am

I would like to see some body paste a square root sign on this forum.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 9:22 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 9:28 am

Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 10:10 am

I don't know what to say? I do the same thing, but can't paste it here, or in the ebook?
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 10:47 am

Then hire someone to do it for you.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 10:56 am

I don't know what to say? I do the same thing, but can't paste it here, or in the ebook?

You are not supposed to paste it into the e-book software. You post it into the Word document. Kindle will convert the Word document to Kindle format. You paste the formulae into the Word document. If you use a large square root, use the drawing tool. Put the symbol inside the drawing text box, format the box to have no filling (transparent) and no border. When you copy and paste (into the document you are working on!), copy the whole equation, including the symbol (it doesn't show up as highlighted, but it will be copied):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 11:57 am

You are saying I don't build the ebook? That I have to send the documents to kindle, and they build the ebook? If kindle can do it, why can't I do it? I don't just want the book on kindle, I also want it other places.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 12:40 pm

Domenic, with all due respect, you lack the most rudimentary knowledge of publishing an e- or web-based book. I've never done it myself, yet even I know that you submit a document to the various online publishers (e.g., Kindle, Smashwords), and THEY convert it into their own format. However, what you submit has to be done in a manner that they can easily convert. If you don't follow their specs, they'll spit it back at you.

There are many books on how to publish an ebook, why don't you start with a search at Amazon and buy one.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 12:59 pm

BTW, even with this Paste Special method, you still have to experiment a bit when the equations are more complicated. For instance, in the following vid, I had to use a different Paste Special option (Enhanced Metafile) to get the equations to look right. The Windows Metafile option I used in the previous video converted all the symbols to white squares and question marks. 

Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 1:07 pm

I have spent my time learning how to write, writing, and learning the Standard Publishing Industry. I have not spent any time learning about e-publishing, thus I have no knowledge of e-publishing. I want to publish one book, my Algebra book, as an EBOOK just to see if EBOOK publishing is worth the time...if not, I won't e-publish any of my fiction work.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 1:10 pm

You are saying I don't build the ebook? That I have to send the documents to kindle, and they build the ebook? If kindle can do it, why can't I do it? I don't just want the book on kindle, I also want it other places.

You can load the Word document to Smashwords and they will distribute it to a number of websites (B & N, Sony, Kobo, iBook etc). You can also upload to KDP (Amazon Kindle). The book will be accepted on Amazon, but if the reader changes the font size, the equations will not stay on one line and will be difficult to understand, e.g.

Quote :
a = (b x c + 2b)(4c x 2b - bc)

Enlarging the text, it might look like this:

Quote :
a = (b x c + 2b)(4c
x 2b - bc)

If you paste the equations as pictures, they remain on one line and will not expand to a size bigger than the ebook reading device.

There are very strict guidelines for Smashwords. I format all Joe's books for him. He's never managed to make sufficient progress to get any of his books accepted for distribution. Before you ask, no, I won't format the book for you.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 1:16 pm

I have spent my time learning how to write, writing, and learning the Standard Publishing Industry. I have not spent any time learning about e-publishing, thus I have no knowledge of e-publishing. I want to publish one book, my Algebra book, as an EBOOK just to see if EBOOK publishing is worth the time...if not, I won't e-publish any of my fiction work.

Publishing works of fiction is easy; one might even say child's play. Publishing a textbook is difficult; one might say it requires the skills only gained by years of practise.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 1:22 pm

Google Books is the one outlet where what you submit ends up very close to what the reader sees. I know this because I spoke with a small, local textbook publisher who requires that his authors submit a finished pdf,  which he then publishes in small offset batches. He doesn't make ebooks of them for any online outlet because it's too much work. However, he uploads the author-provided pdf file to Google Books because it works well there. The downside is that hardly anyone knows about Google Books, so his sales there are dismal (his own words).

One of several reasons I never published with him, even though he actively tried to recruit me.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 1:52 pm

Quote :
Publishing works of fiction is easy; one might even say child's play. Publishing a textbook is difficult; one might say it requires the skills only gained by years of practise.

I think you're selling short the skills needed to publish a fiction book, too (even one without pictures). If it was so easy, there wouldn't be classes and books devoted to it, and publishers wouldn't have to hire people whose sole job is to format books. I don't think book covers are that easy, either, both in doing decent art or meeting a website's specs (look how much trouble Joe is having uploading his to Smashwords).
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 2:28 pm

Joe has trouble because Smashwords will only accept clean copy. Joe's files are like patchwork quilts. Bits of text gathered over many years, typed on different computers into different word processors. They contain hidden formatting symbols that have to be removed. I strip out everything and provide Smashwords with a clean copy with no hidden instructions.

Formatting a fiction book is child's play if you type a document into Word with first line indents and only hard returns for paragraph breaks. Self-publishers need help because they upgrade their computers, copy and paste from one document into another, and save in PDF format and then recover text from the PDF files. It all looks like a printed page in front of them, but it's a nightmare when converting from one format to another.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 2:39 pm

If I copy the pages I need that have the calculations with my full page scanner, I can save them as a picture. I can then crop what I need, and past them into my ebook program as pictires...am I right?

LOL, of course my present scanner won't work with windows 7, and there is no program to make it work, so I'll have to buy a new scanner. I only have 38 out of 78 pages to do.

I can't remember if some body told me, "Domenic, you should be a writer," or if that was my own stupid idea?
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 2:44 pm

Shelagh wrote:
Joe has trouble because Smashwords will only accept clean copy. Joe's files are like patchwork quilts. Bits of text gathered over many years, typed on different computers into different word processors. They contain hidden formatting symbols that have to be removed. I strip out everything and provide Smashwords with a clean copy with no hidden instructions.  

Formatting a fiction book is child's play if you type a document into Word with first line indents and only hard returns for paragraph breaks. Self-publishers need help because they upgrade their computers, copy and paste from one document into another, and save in PDF format and then recover text from the PDF files. It all looks like a printed page in front of them, but it's a nightmare when converting from one format to another.  

This is true, Changing from program to program leaves hidden instructions. I have stayed with my old works 7 for everything I write.
My EBOOK program will remove hidden lines.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 2:57 pm

LC wrote:
Quote :

I think you're selling short the skills needed to publish a fiction book, too (even one without pictures). If it was so easy, there wouldn't be classes and books devoted to it, and publishers wouldn't have to hire people whose sole job is to format books. I don't think book covers are that easy, either, both in doing decent art or meeting a website's specs (look how much trouble Joe is having uploading his to Smashwords).

Sign up with Amazon KDP -- you don't need to publish anything. Open a new Word document (set page size to 6" x 9"). Press return twice and type in a title in size 18 bold font. Press return twice, then type in a pseudonym in size 14pt. Centre the title and author name. Press return twice. In size 12pt, add a copyright symbol and the author's name again with 2014. Type a few lines of copyright blurb. Add a page break.

Type a chapter heading (16pt, bold) and centre it. Press return twice. In size 12 pt, type in a paragraph of text, anything will do. Press return.

Copy part of this paragraph as the next paragraph. Press return. Copy both paragraphs and paste in. Press return. Keep doing this until you have a chapter's length of text. Add a page break

Copy the whole chapter to paste under the next chapter heading.

You should now have a two chapter book of about n,000 words. Upload it to KDP and preview it. It won't read like a book, but it should look like one. You can change the size of the font to see how readers might read it in larger or smaller font.

After you've previewed it, don't save it.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 3:25 pm

Quote :
Joe's files are like patchwork quilts. Bits of text gathered over many years, typed on different computers into different word processors. They contain hidden formatting symbols that have to be removed. I strip out everything and provide Smashwords with a clean copy with no hidden instructions.

That's real common with drafting and art files, too. We call those hidden items "artifacts" or "stale metadata." The programs have purge commands that get rid of it all at once. How do you strip it from a Word file? Is there a purge command somewhere?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED   EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

EBOOK PROGRAM NEEDED
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next