Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Strange process!

Go down 
+4
dkchristi
Shelagh
Domenic Pappalardo
vmaxnick
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
vmaxnick
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
vmaxnick

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2012-11-29

Strange process! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strange process!   Strange process! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 2:12 pm

Domenic Pappalardo wrote:

A book is never done, until it is done. Horrid reviews are what a good writer wants...it tells what needs work. If you never received a bad review, and the book has bad sales, you would never know why?
Writing a bad book does not mean you can't write, it just means, "THE BOOK IS NOT YET DONE."

That's good advice Domenic. I've read and re-read the review. The reviewer didn't read the book, if she had read the book, she may have reviewed it differently. Every comment she made referred to the first quarter of the book and you know what? That's my fault, I lost the reader at the start because the story is too slow and too repetitive. I need to weed it and re-structure it to grip the reader from the off and keep their interest right up to the end. I made the mistake of writing my first title in the manner of a long, short story instead of a properly structured novel. I've learned so much since my first attempt, this site has been a big resource in the learning curve. I think my second offering; 'Bittersweet Humiliation' is much better. Time for a 2nd edition of the first title methinks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhino-trikes.co.uk
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Strange process!   Strange process! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 4:02 pm

I received this review on Amazon:

1.0 out of 5 stars book, 11 Mar 2013
By 
Lyndsey - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Mr. Planemaker's Flying Machine (Kindle Edition)
a very crap book i wished i had not got it to read but if you want to read it you can.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Strange process!   Strange process! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 11:45 pm

I think we have all received reviews from people who skimmed the book.  They cannot be taken seriously, however they do put a damper on future readers.  Personally, I don't buy a book based on what someone else says about it.  Sometimes a bad review is simply because it is not they type of book that interests the reader and they should not have read it in the first place.
As expressed on this forum, some don't want to read a book that has graphic content, whether that be sex or violence.  Others love it.  Matching the book to the reader's taste is the problem.
Back to top Go down
GrantCostello

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Strange process!   Strange process! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 2:01 am

Negative reviews can be a real bummer, particularly when you receive them for formatting errors caused by Amazon updating their kindle apps. 

True story, I logged on and noticed a number of really bad reviews about my paragraphs and text being screwed up. I immediately took down my book and contacted amazon. They gave me the "we speak no english" bs and refused to fix the problem or remove the reviews. In the end I had to do what's called a code strip on my book and resubmit it, but to this day the reviews are still there.

In the book world, everyone is trying to screw you over, but the only way you can endure is to keep writing and keep striving to attain perfection in your work. Let the trolls troll and let the mishaps rain down, because at the end of the day none of them can take away your gift of writing.

- Grant
Back to top Go down
http://www.grantcostello.com
vmaxnick
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
vmaxnick

PostSubject: Re: Strange process!   Strange process! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 2:19 pm

Shelagh wrote:

By 

a very crap book i wished i had not got it to read but if you want to read it you can.
Such a pointless review; tells the author nothing and other readers less! The author of this review would probably have been out of her depth anyway Shelagh.
Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I think perhaps I was expecting a lot thinking that all reviews would have merit and value, even when negative.
Back to top Go down
vmaxnick
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
vmaxnick

PostSubject: Re: Strange process!   Strange process! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 2:33 pm

GrantCostello wrote:
Negative reviews can be a real bummer, particularly when you receive them for formatting errors caused by Amazon updating their kindle apps. 

- Grant

When I uploaded my first Kindle book, it had serious formatting errors, which resulted in lots of returns. I took the time to learn how exactly to format for Kindle and uploaded a fresh manuscript as a mobi file (as that produced less conversion errors) I bought a copy and transferred it to my Kindle and Kindle fire and tested it in both environments. It was as near to perfect as my writing will ever be! Just prior to my recent FOC promotion, I contacted Amazon as the first and second title and the paperback versions don't show up together when you search by title or author. They said they would look into it. On the day the promotion started, the titles showed up together, but somehow, Amazon have now converted a version of the Createspace paperback, with physical page numbers 'et al' so now I'm getting returns again! It doesn't take long to upload again but in the time it's taken me to notice their mistake, more disgruntled readers! (Only 3 returns for 1500 downloads so not a reason to panic too much)
Back to top Go down
vmaxnick
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
vmaxnick

PostSubject: Re: Strange process!   Strange process! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 2:38 pm

Shelagh wrote:

Oliver Twist 5 stars

I didn't read this book, but I like Oliver Twist! 

Classic review! I may make this my sig!  Strange process! - Page 2 921805 
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Strange process!   Strange process! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 3:23 pm

vmaxnick wrote:
Shelagh wrote:

By 

Such a pointless review; tells the author nothing and other readers less! The author of this review would probably have been out of her depth anyway Shelagh.
Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I think perhaps I was expecting a lot thinking that all reviews would have merit and value, even when negative.

Without the bad how can we possibly appreciate the good? This review was posted four days ago:

"When I first started reading this book, I was unsure of what to expect. At the beginning of the story we meet what seems to be an ordinary family living in Pierton, England. Soon the reader learns that the father, Mr. Planemaker is seriously ill. The successful builder becomes depressed at his forced early retirement and seeks a hobby, which turns out to be making a model airplane. Some very strange things happen when he tries to teach himself how to research the internet to lay out his plans. He has mystifying dreams that involve colleagues seeking to entice him to enter a dark and grey house which then miraculously disappears. A kitten suddenly materializes in his car and strange talking characters like A. Leon Spaceman appear on the computer. Is he going crazy?

On the day his model airplane kit arrives, Mr. Planemaker passes away. Here I feared the story was going down hill. Part Two takes a whole new turn. Now the children assume center stage. Emmelisa and Dell Planemaker are now nine and twelve struggling to overcome difficulties with peers and adjusting to a life without their father. Emmelisa is being bullied at school because she refuses to join the gang led by Mayja Troublemaker. Her brother has moved to middle school and no longer can protect her. She keeps all this to herself and as a diversion decides to pass time by using her father’s old computer now hidden in the attic. To her surprise, she learns that her father has a whole set of plans and hidden secrets within it. Their mysterious family cat named Cosmos helps the children to unlock them. They discover its secrets by stepping into the computer itself and taking a real tour of the inside of a computer in nanosecond time. While inside the computer, the children discover their father has left them a mission to follow his “trail of light.”

Here is the third part of the story in which the reader is taken on a space flight on their father’s original model plane kit which the CPU staff has put together for them. They train there as astronauts, but their space flight will be controlled by Astrow Naught and Mission OnControl. The children learn a lot about the space station while they whiz pass all the planets and observe comet behavior. There are lots of surprises on the journey leaving in doubt their ability to find their father’s trail and make a successful return journey home before their mother notices that they are missing.

This book is a strange mixture of elements, coming of age, bullying, grief issues, computer knowledge, metaphysics and realism. I can’t explain why, but ultimately it works. The author successfully grips the reader into being a willing captive to the personalities of the characters and the strange twists and turns of the story line. Critics might say that it is rambling; yet valid issues are addressed and a great deal of information is relayed. Tweens and teens interested in any of these issues will find it to be a satisfying read. The quirkiness of the novel kept me glued to it because I could not figure out what would happen next. My bottom line is this book is really different; give it a look."
Back to top Go down
vmaxnick
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
vmaxnick

PostSubject: Re: Strange process!   Strange process! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 1:19 pm

That is a very positive review Shelagh, someone had to be moved to write such a detailed and insightful report.
Bit of a plot spoiler though.
I envy you Shelagh, I couldn't write a children's book I'm afraid I would have had Dell accidentally run over Cosmos in his Camero before driving to Maja's school, dragging her out of the classroom by her hair and threatening to shoot her in the face if she didn't leave Em alone!
I think my inner child may have grown up too quickly!   Shocked
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Strange process!   Strange process! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 1:57 pm

Oh the review is all good, Nick. No spoilers in sight. The last chapter ties together everything that is mentioned in the review. It's the best part of the book, in every respect, not least because the reader doesn't see it coming. "When I first started reading this book, I was unsure of what to expect." ... and that remains true until the very end.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Strange process!   Strange process! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 4:52 pm

You know, I have a different opinion about spoilers. I have often gone to a movie because I read a book or read a book because I enjoyed the movie. I have seen movies I love several times in original and later versions. So long as the writing is excellent there will always be a reason to read the book even if the surprise ending is known - at least for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Strange process!   Strange process! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 5:55 pm

I am beginning to think that vmaxnix is also Barbara Wood...reviewer.  In fact his words are almost her very words,  And Lindsey's.
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Strange process!   Strange process! - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 9:14 am

Betty Fasig wrote:
I am beginning to think that vmaxnix is also Barbara Wood...reviewer.  In fact his words are almost her very words,  And Lindsey's.

LOL! Does Barbara ride a motorbike? Is Lindsey a biker, too?
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Strange process!   Strange process! - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 3:07 pm

I can ride one.  Maybe I am he or she???  Not.  Point taken.
Love, Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
HaroldLee
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
HaroldLee

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Strange process!   Strange process! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 9:21 am

It's irrelevant.Let it go.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Strange process!   Strange process! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 12:27 pm

This is my opinion…before you bit into it, sprinkle it with salt.

I believed if a reader can see a part of their self in a character, they will read the story.

None of my stories have just one major character…I keep six to ten on stage. In this way I can pinch a spot on all readers.

Here s my theory. The twelve people who followed Jesus in the Bible were all different. Each reader can identify with one of them…”I have done that, I have said that, or I have felt that way.”

When a reader makes a bad comment, and given no feed back…I take that as, “The reader does not attach to a character.

And then there is the pepper; If a reader gets a nose full, they turn away.
Back to top Go down
vmaxnick
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
vmaxnick

PostSubject: ???   Strange process! - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 4:38 pm

Betty Fasig wrote:
I have been called a lot of things in my 51 years on this planet Betty, Barbara wood is not one of them! If you want to know more about me, click my sig, it's all there for the world to see. I don't write under a pseudonym I write reviews on Amazon as vmaxnick and on Goodreads as Nicholas P Boyland, because that's the name my dad gave me.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
vmaxnick
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
vmaxnick

PostSubject: Re: Strange process!   Strange process! - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 4:39 pm

vmaxnick wrote:
That is a very positive review Shelagh, someone had to be moved to write such a detailed and insightful report.
Bit of a plot spoiler though.
I envy you Shelagh, I couldn't write a children's book I'm afraid I would have had Dell accidentally run over Cosmos in his Camero before driving to Maja's school, dragging her out of the classroom by her hair and threatening to shoot her in the face if she didn't leave Em alone!
I think my inner child may have grown up too quickly!   Shocked

Did Barbara Wood really write this? She must watch 'Sons of Anarchy'  Strange process! - Page 2 921805

Why do I get the feeling that I'm on the wrong page? It's late.  Strange process! - Page 2 636414
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange process!   Strange process! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Strange process!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2