Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Death of Another Writer

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Death of Another Writer Empty
PostSubject: Death of Another Writer   Death of Another Writer EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 7:56 am

Tom Clancy, author of Hunt for Red October, Clear and Present Danger and the other Jack Ryan books, died yesterday at age 66.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Death of Another Writer   Death of Another Writer EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 8:23 am

Sad to hear.  He was a good author.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Death of Another Writer   Death of Another Writer EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 8:35 am

That is very sad news, Ann. What a great loss!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Death of Another Writer   Death of Another Writer EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 5:32 pm

Tom Clancy was not only a good writer…his work was original. His work will help build other young writers who read him. It’s a sad lose.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Death of Another Writer   Death of Another Writer EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 5:50 pm

I'm not sure with the emphasis on technology that what we consider "great writers" are still going to be found in the future.  People are reading fewer classics and books that emphasize words and language and instead are reading more books that are quick reads with common language.  When's the last time you had to use a dictionary to find definitions for words in a book?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Death of Another Writer   Death of Another Writer EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 9:53 pm

I seldom do that DK.  Even when I'm reading a novel in German, I no longer use the dictionary.  Based on how the word is used in the sentence, one can determine the meaning and then file that new word away, especially when it is used more than once.

Last edited by Abe F. March on Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Death of Another Writer   Death of Another Writer EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 6:23 am

dkchristi wrote:
I'm not sure with the emphasis on technology that what we consider "great writers" are still going to be found in the future.  People are reading fewer classics and books that emphasize words and language and instead are reading more books that are quick reads with common language.  When's the last time you had to use a dictionary to find definitions for words in a book?
Writers of books with more than one page are fast becoming dinosaurs. It seems most people under thirty are of the new, quick gratification generation. They go from thing to thing seeking what makes them feel good. These young people are not stupid. Matter of fact, they are very smart. There is a flaw in how they deal with life. They have become very self centered. The past has no interest for them. Talking to others via voice is being replaced with text messaging.

Happiness is measured by; Money, looks, and the quick fix. If you think the last generation was bad, this one is a killer.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Death of Another Writer   Death of Another Writer EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:05 am

Reading classics and books well-written has always been a form of education.  The well-read person is often more informed than a person with education credentials.  Formal education forces reading...

Even the education system's current emphasis on science, technology, engineering and math leaves out the love of reading as an integral component to the rest of education.  Literature scholars, once revered for their philosophical debates, are now considered useless in careers, good only for teaching, a dime a dozen.

Even journalists are relegated to the dumping ground, a few taking to the blogs and others becoming celebrities for their biased commentary, not their journalism, not their respect for the truth in the written word.  Entertainment, ratings and funding are the drivers for news.

Hope does lie in the thousands of books and the quick reference for research that is found in a tablet of any label. 

Each generation sees the next as a bit "worse" while they see the last as a bit stodgy and unwilling to change.  Thus the future is not necessarily worse, just different.  Values will be different, but those growing up with them will be comfortable and unhindered by our concerns.

Reading Old English is seldom encouraged in school anymore.  Poetry is a hard sell.  Even the Bible has been translated into such "modern English" that's it's beauty as a work of historical literature is lost. 

Perhaps our generation is the last to see literature as so integral to an understanding of life.  What's critical to the new generation is its use of apps to make every aspect of life easier.  Just like board games are relecs of days before television along with knitting and crochet.

The enjoyment of aps and games replaces the joy of reading?  

Books like those of Tom Clancy took us to adventures and in the lives of characters we would likely never encounter - a chance for imagination to take us from a hum drum existence into excitement for a few pages.

Today's youth have the benefits of travel, communication, media and unlimited extremes so that imagination is replaced by real life.  Perhaps the written adventure will be replaced by the real or holographic one.

And like the ancient library in Star Trek, real books will be in glass as a treasured memory, like the museum artifacts from ancient Egyptian tombs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Death of Another Writer   Death of Another Writer EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:46 am

Agreed, DK.  I remember a conversation with a Canadian who expressed his feelings in this manner.
He said:  "I can see pictures and videos of Hawaii where try to make one feel that they are there.  What is missing is the smell of the sea and the feel of the breeze.  Only being there will complete the picture" 

I agree with that.  We have so much available with TV and Videos, but they will never replace actual presence.  I often dream of places I've been.  Sometimes I can smell the smells and hear the sounds of vendors promoting their wares.  A picture cannot replace that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Death of Another Writer   Death of Another Writer Empty

Back to top Go down

Death of Another Writer
Page 1 of 1